Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #5,566 of 23,454
You are bad!
wink.gif

We will have to agree to disagree about the Crack. You really are painting the Crack in an unfairly poor light. I suspect you have never owned one yourself? They come together quite easily and have a large forum of support to get novices over the few hiccups that a beginner might encounter. Overall, it is a fun amp to built and it does sound very good.

I had a Heathkit amp when I was a kid - my dad made it for me for my birthday. I had one of those Radio Shack 150-in-1 kits as well...

We all have our priorities Stan and decide what to spend our money on. I have no problem with people who spend thoudands of dollars on audio gear - I did it myself during the 80's with my stereo then 20 years later with my home theater.

The only "problem" I see around here is an appaent abundance of younger people buying expensive gear with money they dont have when they should be putting it into an IRA instead. Oh, and listening too loud too often.

But I try not to judge because I made foolish choices too when I was just starting out.

Ah, to be young and foolish once again. 
blink.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #5,567 of 23,454
  I'm not kidding Stan, the big good tubes fit better the wooden, analogue, style. You may think because it's not PCB and one tube per two channels that it is bad? Somewhere I read that the tube on Crack goes up to ~50kHz, even if that is 25kHz per channel, human hearing goes up to like 20kHz (you know this), but so much for kHzs. Like palmfish said you should try it first. I bet for the hd600 one hardly needs to spend more money for a better (more detailed) amp, Crack gets all out of it.

Remembers me of Carlin's quote: "Consumption. This is the new national pastime. **** baseball, it's consumption, the only true, lasting American value that's left . . . buying things . . . People spending money they don't have on things they don't need . . . So they can max out their credit cards and spend the rest of their lives paying 18 percent interest on something that cost $12.50. And they didn't like it when they got it home anyway. Not too bright, folks, not too ******* bright."

I always try not to listen too load to music because destroying ears is not good and foolish :D
As long as one doesn't spend as near as much money one has, it's ok to try things out (no drugs and stuff) because you only live once.

Using one tube for both channels means that you will increase the crosstalk (decrease the separation between channels) and compromise the soundstage. No complaints about frequency response that's easy enough to get right.
I've always listened a bit on the loud side but have been blessed with resilient ears. Loud but not blasting.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #5,568 of 23,454
  In regards to listening experience; with the 650's, I can always tell I have headphones on.  The 600's, sometimes I do forget that I have headphones on.  Pretty amazing, regardless of price.

That's why when comparing them, I decided to buy the HD600's even though coming in I wanted the latest and greatest (HD650). I kept checking back and forth finding it hard to believe, that to me, the 650'd seemed like someone at Sennheiser was asleep at the wheel.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #5,570 of 23,454
I really think the 600's and 650's are just tuned differently.  They sound nearly identical but 650's either have different or more damping to induce more bass, which in turned made it sound stuffy and congested.  The Mjolnir made it even worse because the bass hit so much harder, though cleanly and the soundstage collapses.  Great for gaming though, some movies, but not on the same level as 600 for music.  Imo anyway.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #5,574 of 23,454
  I really think the 600's and 650's are just tuned differently.  They sound nearly identical but 650's either have different or more damping to induce more bass, which in turned made it sound stuffy and congested.  The Mjolnir made it even worse because the bass hit so much harder, though cleanly and the soundstage collapses.  Great for gaming though, some movies, but not on the same level as 600 for music.  Imo anyway.

The treble on the HD650 is also rolled off a bit which bothered me.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #5,575 of 23,454
Using one tube for both channels means that you will increase the crosstalk (decrease the separation between channels) and compromise the soundstage. No complaints about frequency response that's easy enough to get right.
I've always listened a bit on the loud side but have been blessed with resilient ears. Loud but not blasting.

(Reaching high frequency is indeed not the problem I guess.) Ah yeah you mentioned that[crosstalk] several posts before, I fergot. AFAIK there's no crosstalk in Crack though, otherwise they wouldn't sell it I guess, and a two-tube design would cost too much for even more people. Wonder if Crack would have a bigger soundstage with a two-tube design though (then I'd be ready to spend more money).
Yeah sometimes loud but not blasting.

You mentioned you made your own amp? Is it good, pictures, price?.. :D

Quote:
The treble on the HD650 is also rolled off a bit which bothered me.

That's also the reason why I bough the 600.

Great for gaming though, some movies, but not on the same level as 600 for music.  Imo anyway.

Really not great for music? Well, then it was a good decision I bought the 600 :)

I read the 650 can be more detailed, is this true?

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #5,576 of 23,454
Bring it on. I'm an electrical engineer that has designed electronic music synthesizers, Industrial Automation Instrumentation, Analog and Digital Comunications Systems and have been in some of the finest recording studios in New York. Many of my designs were tested and certified in laboratories, even the NBS in the USA or others around the world. I've been around the block, several times.

That's just terrific.

Unfortunately so many musicians and studio professionals don't know good sound. Poll your average rock, pop or jazz band and go look at their home stereo and head-fi setup. Listen to Dre's Beat headphones. Horrible.

Engineers also get Appeal to Authority-itis and think that if it measures well, that's all that matters and it cannot be heard.

It's impossible to convince someone who is 'an expert' that recent events over a wide variety of disciplines have revealed that 'the experts' are not.

Thus people chose to think and decide for themselves.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #5,577 of 23,454
  (Reaching high frequency is indeed not the problem I guess.) Ah yeah you mentioned that[crosstalk] several posts before, I fergot. AFAIK there's no crosstalk in Crack though, otherwise they wouldn't sell it I guess, and a two-tube design would cost too much for even more people. Wonder if Crack would have a bigger soundstage with a two-tube design though (then I'd be ready to spend more money).
Yeah sometimes loud but not blasting.

You mentioned you made your own amp? Is it good, pictures, price?.. :D
That's also the reason why I bough the 600.

Really not great for music? Well, then it was a good decision I bought the 600 :)

I read the 650 can be more detailed, is this true?

Crosstalk varies in all amps, the better ones dare to spec it. I wouldn't lose sleep over it unless you notice it being too low. Not only does one lose a bit when combining channels in one device but as a consequence components for both channels tend to be close together which can also cause stray capacitive coupling, although that doesn't have to happen or be of any significance,
I'm using a dual opamp in my design, however both of them are used in the same channel. One opamp drives the power transistors and the other acts as adaptive current source in the driver, I'm using low noise opamps,on a socket so I can fiddle with them,  My amp is undergoing surgery as I'm changing to better power transistors and fiddling wih my adaptive current source, I have much work to do and am having loads of fun with it. Once I'm done and clean it up I'll take pictures and even post a schematic. This is going to take some time as I still have my day job. I took off the last week and a half of the year and on Thursday it's back on the rat's wheel.
The 650 isn't a bad can, I just felt that the 600 was a better can. I don't know why the 650 would be more revealing as it has a toned down treble which might supress details but not in a drastic manner. Although the 650 is spec'd to have less distortion, I think that's detectible by test equipment and not by human senses.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #5,578 of 23,454
That's just terrific.

Unfortunately so many musicians and studio professionals don't know good sound. Poll your average rock, pop or jazz band and go look at their home stereo and head-fi setup. Listen to Dre's Beat headphones. Horrible.

Engineers also get Appeal to Authority-itis and think that if it measures well, that's all that matters and it cannot be heard.

It's impossible to convince someone who is 'an expert' that recent events over a wide variety of disciplines have revealed that 'the experts' are not.

You're funny ! If "musicians and studio professionals don't know good sound", who the hell does ?

You might want to look at your litsening habits there, because ALL the stuff I listen to sounds great. Yes, all. But then again, I make a point of being selective. And see no point in pointing to the "average rock, pop or jazz band". Why would you use them as a measure if they're average ?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #5,579 of 23,454
That's just terrific.

Unfortunately most consumers buy headphones that suck and garage band musicians are no exception. The musicians that I've known have great senses and are very discriminating and wouldn't be caught dead with cans like Beats. I wonder if Dr. Dre really uses his own overpriced junk?
Nobody is perfect, that includes engineers but I wouldn't use a statement like yours to endorse overactive imaginations as proof of fact. When you drive over a bridge, you'll be glad that it was designed by an engineer that knows his stuff and not by some guy with a sketch pad.
I believe in free choice so to me anyone can spend their money as they wish and listen to whatever they like with whatever kit they prefer. Everyone is free to express their opinion, factual or imagined. 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #5,580 of 23,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by marone 

That's just terrific.

You're funny ! If "musicians and studio professionals don't know good sound", who the hell does ?

You might want to look at your litsening habits there, because ALL the stuff I listen to sounds great. Yes, all. But then again, I make a point of being selective. And see no point in pointing to the "average rock, pop or jazz band". Why would you use them as a measure if they're average ?

Well said. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back