Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #5,521 of 23,455
  Nice choice Stan. I owned the HE500 at the same time as the hd650. The 650 was sold a week later... It was the more focused imaging and clearer- smoother sound that beat them for me. Plus they have one of the best treble out there ime. I much preferred them with the velour pads over the pleather as this made them a little more airy. 

I've never compared them against the hd600 side by side, so I'd be interested in your opinion. 
popcorn.gif

I picked the HD600 over the HD650's when I compared them based upon the HD650's slightly toned down treble. That's why I'm expecting the HE-500's to put a big smile on my face, especially with the Mag Planer quality bass blast. I'll be sure to post my feeling once I've given everything a fair listening to. That damned truck better get here soon before I burst an artery in my head waiting for it.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #5,522 of 23,455

My feeling is the treble extension is the issue.
The highs just seem too penetrating.

The tinnitus is particularly effected by high violin sounds for example.

I have mild tinnitus and own the 600's.  I have found that with that touch less sparkle than the Beyer's, the 600's still present  the treble clarity in a very enjoyable and natural way with no fatigue factor (at least for me).  Every time I think I want to try headphones with more upper end "sparkle", I realize my preferred signature is a more natural presentation, and I feel I get that from the 600's. They are so not fatiguing, that it's not uncommon that I can fall asleep comfortably listening to them.  Sleeping because they're not fatiguing, kind of ironic, huh?

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #5,523 of 23,455
  I have mild tinnitus and own the 600's.  I have found that with that touch less sparkle than the Beyer's, the 600's still present  the treble clarity in a very enjoyable and natural way with no fatigue factor (at least for me).  Every time I think I want to try headphones with more upper end "sparkle", I realize my preferred signature is a more natural presentation, and I feel I get that from the 600's. They are so not fatiguing, that it's not uncommon that I can fall asleep comfortably listening to them.  Sleeping because they're not fatiguing, kind of ironic, huh?

Depending on your choice of music, a restful sleep. Unless you listen to Hip-Hop 
eek.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #5,526 of 23,455
Portable Mode

Desktop mode

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #5,527 of 23,455
  I was just gifted a pair of HD600s from my Mom and Aunt. Pretty excited to finally own the pair of headphones that made me join this forum in the first place. 

why don't I get such gifts D:  .. Anyways congratulations!

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #5,528 of 23,455
  I have a Scarlet 8i6 which I use for writing music on the computer. It's headphone amp is nothing to write home about. The DAC seems OK but I don't use it for critical listening, I use it for the ADC inputs and Midi ports. I've heard good Schitt about the Schitt but haven't listened to their DACs. Their specs are nice.

So you're saying that the dedicated Modi DAC would be better than the mentioned Scarlett's/Steinberg's DAC. I'm not sure if it really is but I'll try the dedicated Modi DAC because I'd also guess that it is a better DAC. Maybe someone has experience and can reply.
BTW: There's this funny video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89pjq1mGstA (see between 11 and 12min). So basically 100$ DAC and like 280$ Crack amp is already a very good choice (for the HD600) and there is no need to spend 1000$ according to the video.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #5,529 of 23,455
  So you're saying that the dedicated Modi DAC would be better than the mentioned Scarlett's/Steinberg's DAC. I'm not sure if it really is but I'll try the dedicated Modi DAC because I'd also guess that it is a better DAC. Maybe someone has experience and can reply.
BTW: There's this funny video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89pjq1mGstA (see between 11 and 12min). So basically 100$ DAC and like 280$ Crack amp is already a very good choice (for the HD600) and there is no need to spend 1000$ according to the video.

Nope, I was saying that the headphone amp in the Scarlett was dissapointing but that DAC seemed OK. I didn't put the DAC through the paces. I would expect that a DAC dedicated to being a DAC might perform better than a DAC in a gadget that sells for a price in the same ballpark.
As far as the HD600 goes, there are rather easy to drive and there are far too many BS stories about them scaling so much better with expensve amps. That doesn't mean cellphones and cheap DAPs will cut the mustard. All you need is:
1) Flat frequency response.
2) Enough power to drive them, they'e reasonably sensitive and don't need watts of power.
3) Low distortion.
A FiiO E12 or Schiit Magni will do an excellent job and neither will break the bank.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #5,530 of 23,455
  Good listening, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Tomorrow a new edition to my can collection arrives, an HE-500 Planar Magnetic.

I think you will find HE500 is superior to HD600 except the "x" factor part.
  HD600 really sets a high standard for me to set for both HE500 &  HD800 rig
  In order to shackled  my HD600 throne  in my favourite cans list,  I even do something i considered weird.
  When i tuned my HD800 rig , i tune for the music emotion to touch my soul.  it is not my heart anymore.
  Yes many will say that emotion lies in every songs & i agree ..a good singer always have a way on how to do it

But the way i tuned, i look the emotion when the singers talks to the audience, explains how the songs inspired her
  I must be able to feel  the expression on the face of the audience on the floor is spot on  ..when camera focused on the audience that   giggled,
  i understand why he was like that  because i giggled too. And every time, i watch them again &  again , i need to felt the same feeling again & again..
  In Adele( Royal Albert hall) blue ray ,  right before Adele sang a song which she dedicated to her late friend which had inspire her so much ,
   she looked up as if she can see heaven   and say " she can see us now, she can see us now"  . I almost cried & I think by looking a  her eyes ,
  she also felt the  same. I repeat the same verse again & gain  with my eyes closed,  I felt the same feeling again and again.
  By this time, i conclude the emotion is the nearly  right in my rig

i dont really care wether it is a 192khz, 96khz  or red book coding or whatever..as long ti can touches my soul, that all matters
i think thats is why some people prefer the LPs..

HE800 &HD600 can really make me happy and distressed at the same time, which a a recipe for disaster , hehe.
  Well, HE500 is just the right  antidote i need .
wink_face.gif

Thats why i still keep this unit.     Else , it will  have a date with the postman, you know what I mean rite
ksc75smile.gif

My audiophile once said said  ,

if you look for high end, you may end up in no end
if you look for musicality, you may fall into nirvana
i trust him then, i believe him now.
beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #5,531 of 23,455
Actually I put an A/B switch between the HE-500 and the HD600. My first findings are what I expected based upon listening experience. The HE-500 has a touch better bass but a touch too much treble sparkle. The HD600 is more sensitive and I had to readjust the volume when switching, which is not the most accurate way to test, but there was no other way to magically make the volumes perfectly matched when switching. The biggest tonal difference was the treble sparkle which I don't prefer, otherwise they are very similar. I just switched the leather pads to the velour pads and will do some more A/B testing tomorrow. The HE-500's cost $700 and the HD600''s $400. Neither will be leaving my home, but if I was forced at gunpoint to pick only one, I might keep the HD600's. Not bad for an almost 20 year old product which I prefer to either the HD650's or the HD700's. I'd prefer the HE-500's to either of these as well. After listening to these two cans, or so many other hifi cans, it makes one wonder as to what compels people to buy Beats or similar lowfi cans.
I'm really enjoying both, very much.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #5,532 of 23,455
  Nope, I was saying that the headphone amp in the Scarlett was dissapointing but that DAC seemed OK. I didn't put the DAC through the paces. I would expect that a DAC dedicated to being a DAC might perform better than a DAC in a gadget that sells for a price in the same ballpark.
As far as the HD600 goes, there are rather easy to drive and there are far too many BS stories about them scaling so much better with expensve amps. That doesn't mean cellphones and cheap DAPs will cut the mustard. All you need is:
1) Flat frequency response.
2) Enough power to drive them, they'e reasonably sensitive and don't need watts of power.
3) Low distortion.
A FiiO E12 or Schiit Magni will do an excellent job and neither will break the bank.

I see. I'd also expext that a dedicated DAC-only for almost the same price may perform better.
Yes, they can get pretty loud on a notebook and PC with the onboard soundcard already. When I have a Modi for my Crack I can tell (will reply here, may take a while) if a dedicated DAC(Modi)+amp(Crack) is needed or if it's all BS storys. One can still sell the equipment if it's not needed.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #5,533 of 23,455
  I see. I'd also expext that a dedicated DAC-only for almost the same price may perform better.
Yes, they can get pretty loud on a notebook and PC with the onboard soundcard already. When I have a Modi for my Crack I can tell (will reply here, may take a while) if a dedicated DAC(Modi)+amp(Crack) is needed or if it's all BS storys. One can still sell the equipment if it's not needed.

I'm sure that it'll sound better than the plain notebook audio system or an onboard soundcard. The Modi/Crack combintion is reasonably priced kit. Are you building the crack and getting the Speedball upgrade? I might prefer a Magni amp, but in the end if your ears are happy, that's what counts.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #5,534 of 23,455
  I'm sure that it'll sound better than the plain notebook audio system or an onboard soundcard. The Modi/Crack combintion is reasonably priced kit. Are you building the crack and getting the Speedball upgrade? I might prefer a Magni amp, but in the end if your ears are happy, that's what counts.

Yes, Modi/Crack, isn't expensive and good combo for the HD600 I guess. I'll build it myself, but no Speedball upgrade (maybe later). I read many good reviews (without Speedball) about the Crack (they say tubes sound kind of "liquid" and more natural) and it also looks nice :) I'll post a mini review about how the dedicated equipment vs. onboard soundcard performs. If I get a 2i2 or UR22 DAW (after Modi, for another PC) I'll compare them too.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #5,535 of 23,455
  Yes, Modi/Crack, isn't expensive and good combo for the HD600 I guess. I'll build it myself, but no Speedball upgrade (maybe later). I read many good reviews (without Speedball) about the Crack (they say tubes sound kind of "liquid" and more natural) and it also looks nice :) I'll post a mini review about how the dedicated equipment vs. onboard soundcard performs. If I get a 2i2 or UR22 DAW (after Modi, for another PC) I'll compare them too.

I believe that tube amps for audio is more myth than anything. It started during the early days of SS when poorly designed class B amps tortured our ears with crossover distortion, excess THD, gobs of IMD and TIMD. For these reasons, at that time tube amps sounded much better. The tables have turned long ago, As long as an SS amp is not overloaded (clipping) and has adequate headroom you will get superb sound, unless it's junk. These days, achieving this in a SS amp is not difficult. The situation for an Electric Guitarist playing lead is very different, they will want to overload the amp to get increased sustain and a warm sounding distortion as means of getting a certain pleasing sound, hence tube amps when overloading creates this sound. What we want to do is replay that sound with great accuracy, hence no distortion, flat FR and no coloration. This is easy to achieve in a SS Amp but hard to achieve in headphones.
When comparing it is important to A/B with very little time between the switch due to the very short period for detailed auditory memory. It is also very important to match the loudness as our hearing (Freq. Response) varies with loudness and will fool you into misjudging equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back