Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #5,461 of 23,454
Another call to Sennheiser and after sending an e-mail with the pictures, they're going to send me (2) brand new drivers.

Thanks for your suggestion Brooko!

I'm confident that they won't be sending me two broken drivers this time :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #5,462 of 23,454
Recent posts have triggered both thoughts and concerns...

I've had my HD600s for a long time - could easily be more than ten years (eek), but I fell out of love with them because they always sounded as though the soundstage was skewed to the right. I loved the sound, but I couldn't get over the sensation that I was hearing more from the right side than the left. So, the 600s got hung up and, I moved on to other 'phones and then dropped out of listening to music for a while.

I've recently got back into using 'phones and have bought and tried quite a few pairs of on-ears/over-ears/IEMs. Everytime I fire up the 600s, the soundstage is just wrong - it's clearly (to my ears) not as centred as the stage produced by any other 'phones I've listened to. But, I still think I'd really like their overall sound if I could fix this perceived/actual problem.

There's the opportunity to send them back to Senn UK (I'm in the UK, BTW) for some sort of repair/servicing for £54, which is expensive, but not *that* expensive...

I'd like the opinions of you folks - is it worth me sending them off to get checked out? If there is a problem, will Senn UK find and fix it? I'm sure I can elaborate later in the process of returning them, but which 'fault' do I flag it up as - servicing + test & check, servicing + general overhaul, function + audio level problem, audio + er, not sure? (Have a dig through http://portal.sennheiser.co.uk/repairs/enquiries/hifi if you're as confused as I am :) )

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #5,463 of 23,454
@ Stonephace

They're modular and very easy to take apart and put back together again.  I had similar issue recently - and discovered that one of my drivers (very old pair) looked like Skolar's example above - had 3 permanent wrinkles in the driver membrane.  Unfortunately I (like you) was well out of warranty.  So I just ordered a matching pair of drivers, slotted them in place, and am now enjoying the HD600 goodness that I've always loved.  It was expensive - but worth it.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5,464 of 23,454
  Recent posts have triggered both thoughts and concerns...

I've had my HD600s for a long time - could easily be more than ten years (eek), but I fell out of love with them because they always sounded as though the soundstage was skewed to the right. I loved the sound, but I couldn't get over the sensation that I was hearing more from the right side than the left. So, the 600s got hung up and, I moved on to other 'phones and then dropped out of listening to music for a while.

I've recently got back into using 'phones and have bought and tried quite a few pairs of on-ears/over-ears/IEMs. Everytime I fire up the 600s, the soundstage is just wrong - it's clearly (to my ears) not as centred as the stage produced by any other 'phones I've listened to. But, I still think I'd really like their overall sound if I could fix this perceived/actual problem.

There's the opportunity to send them back to Senn UK (I'm in the UK, BTW) for some sort of repair/servicing for £54, which is expensive, but not *that* expensive...

I'd like the opinions of you folks - is it worth me sending them off to get checked out? If there is a problem, will Senn UK find and fix it? I'm sure I can elaborate later in the process of returning them, but which 'fault' do I flag it up as - servicing + test & check, servicing + general overhaul, function + audio level problem, audio + er, not sure? (Have a dig through http://portal.sennheiser.co.uk/repairs/enquiries/hifi if you're as confused as I am :) )

Have you ruled out thats it not an imbalance with your amp? I'd say its defo worth getting them repaired. It will cost you a lot more to get some new headphones that will be anywhere near as good. 

If you send them in just state that you think there is a driver imbalance. I'm sure they will check both drivers for this any ways. 

Good luck :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #5,465 of 23,454
  Have you ruled out thats it not an imbalance with your amp? I'd say its defo worth getting them repaired. It will cost you a lot more to get some new headphones that will be anywhere near as good. 

If you send them in just state that you think there is a driver imbalance. I'm sure they will check both drivers for this any ways. 

Good luck :)

Thanks Lugbug1 and Brooko. I've pretty definitively ruled out that it's an amp issue - I've tried them with three different amps (headphone-specific, component amp with headphone-out, and through a USB DAC on my PC. The position of the soundstage is definitely off to one side compared to the other 'phones I've tried.

So, I've put in a repair request with Senn UK. I've paid and I've got a reference number. I'm assuming that, once they get into the office tomorrow morning, someone is going to give me some more info about what I need to do next, as for now I have no idea where to send them, nor what to put in the box :)

{edit}
Phew, RMA number and address have just arrived.

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #5,466 of 23,454
Does anyone know or can speculate how the Audio-GD NFB 5 would sound with the HD600 or HD598?

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #5,467 of 23,454
Does anyone know or can speculate how the Audio-GD NFB 5 would sound with the HD600 or HD598?

Sound is very clean on the neutral, transparent side. Not too bright.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #5,468 of 23,454

Thanks Lugbug1 and Brooko. I've pretty definitively ruled out that it's an amp issue - I've tried them with three different amps (headphone-specific, component amp with headphone-out, and through a USB DAC on my PC. The position of the soundstage is definitely off to one side compared to the other 'phones I've tried.

So, I've put in a repair request with Senn UK. I've paid and I've got a reference number. I'm assuming that, once they get into the office tomorrow morning, someone is going to give me some more info about what I need to do next, as for now I have no idea where to send them, nor what to put in the box :)

{edit}
Phew, RMA number and address have just arrived.

I'm curious, how much is Senn charging you for this RMA? If it's free given the age of your cans, that would be something.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #5,469 of 23,454

I'm curious, how much is Senn charging you for this RMA? If it's free given the age of your cans, that would be something.

£54 "fixed price", which appears to mean that that's all I'll pay no matter what work they may end up doing.

It's a lot, but not that much in the great scheme of things (and especially compared to buying a brand new pair...), especially considering how far out of warranty they are. I'm pretty impressed that they'll even consider looking at them.

One of the perks of owning 600s - get them right first time, don't fiddle them and I'm able to get them serviced/repaired more than a decade after I bought them :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #5,470 of 23,454

£54 "fixed price", which appears to mean that that's all I'll pay no matter what work they may end up doing.

It's a lot, but not that much in the great scheme of things (and especially compared to buying a brand new pair...), especially considering how far out of warranty they are. I'm pretty impressed that they'll even consider looking at them.

One of the perks of owning 600s - get them right first time, don't fiddle them and I'm able to get them serviced/repaired more than a decade after I bought them :)

At a minimum, if they end up replacing the earpads and headband pad for that price, you'll have received your money's worth as the earpads in particular are expensive to order from Senn.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #5,471 of 23,454

At a minimum, if they end up replacing the earpads and headband pad for that price, you'll have received your money's worth as the earpads in particular are expensive to order from Senn.

Yep.

But I'm really hoping that they actually find something 'wrong' and that they can fix it. I love the sound of my 600s, but the off-centre soundstage is so irritating that I just can't listen to them.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #5,472 of 23,454
FYI, I just got the German Maestro GMP 400 and I'm pretty impressed with these. They are dark and are similar to the HD600 (probably even darker, maybe more like the HD650) but they have more bass. If you want something similar to the HD600/HD650 but need more bass, these are right up your alley.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #5,473 of 23,454
I purchased this morning an old HD580 . I had one a few monthes ago before having my HD800
So.. Can I be considered to be back in the family ? 
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #5,474 of 23,454
  I purchased this morning an old HD580 . I had one a few monthes ago before hving my HD800.  

So.. Can I be considered to be back in the family ? 
beerchug.gif

Of course of course come on in :) 
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #5,475 of 23,454
Back to Mid-fi . I'me seriously considering to sold my HD800 + My tube amp cause I seriously need money 
tongue.gif
 . From what I remember I can get with an old 580  nearly as much music enjoyment than with  my HD800 with far less money . 
rolleyes.gif
  I think I can tolerate the downgrade without too much pain. ( add a used Hifiman HE-4 in compliment could help too
biggrin.gif
)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back