Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #5,356 of 23,433
Here's another dealer listing the HD600 as discontinued http://www.musiciansbuy.com/SENNHEISER_HD600_HEADPHONES.html

I want these as my next phones but don't have the money right now. The Sennheiser site doesn't say that they are going away, but the manufacturer isn't likely to make such an announcement pre-Christmas. Is there anyone who has an inside source?

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/focal-spirit-one.php

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-t90.php

I think that dealers use "discontinued" as a generic term meaning that they don't sell anymore an item , not necessary that this item has been discontinued .

Cause the Spirit one or T-90 are not discontinued as i know . And some dealer had stopped selling the HD600 years ago to just sell the HD650 .

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #5,358 of 23,433
I can't see it happening. They are a lot more popular than the more recent HD700. Why would they stop making a headphone that is still selling well. It's also still priced quite high for the time it has been out. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #5,359 of 23,433
Months ago I spoke with someone at Sennheiser's marketing team. He said that not that long ago they cut production and went to discontinue them, only the orders kept coming in at a serious rate. They decided against discontinuing the HD600's because customers want them, despite having the HD650 placed as their replacement. Customers just want the HD600, nothing else. I hope they are not revisiting this exercise.

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5,361 of 23,433
Marketing ploy before Christmas? I'm betting the 600's probably outsell the 650s on paper. As they should IMHO.

Amazon and BestBuy currently list them at a discount of $40 below the customary price, which is dictated by Sennheiser. Maybe you're right, they are strategically priced against Beats and other crud for the Christmas season.
Edit: B&H has them for the same discounted price as well.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #5,362 of 23,433
  I don't think the HD6000 is out yet, but I think once it's available it'll be a real humdinger. 
Yes.I'm having fun with your typo .
happy_face1.gif

Lol... Just wait for it.
tongue.gif
Yup, I didn't realize it's typo.

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #5,363 of 23,433
Originally Posted by sean76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did some reading on the TH600.  It had a lot of good reviews.  Like you said, the leak might be a problem.  I need a bit better noise isolation.  Alpha dog might be in the same tier as TH600.  I also read about the Signature Pro.  Only if I could audition them all at a local store.  Are the Alpha Dog really that great?  6 Weeks is a long wait.

Are you sure a little leakage is a dealbreaker for you? Yes, the TH-600 leaks quite a bit for a closed can. In that sense you can pretty much think of them as semi-open. But for me, even with something like the TH-600, there would have to be someone sitting directly next to me for it to be a big problem. I guess it comes down to your particular office environment and whether or not you think others around you would be bothered by a little leakage but in my experience even open and semi-open cans leak at a pretty low volume (depending on how loud you're listening of course). I work from home so I'm not around a lot of people but you would have to at least be in my office, or even standing next to me, in order for my headphone leakage to be a real bother, even with open cans.

Everyone's situation is different though. If you absolutely need good isolation the TH-600 is not for you.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5,364 of 23,433

Are you sure a little leakage is a dealbreaker for you? Yes, the TH-600 leaks quite a bit for a closed can. In that sense you can pretty much think of them as semi-open. But for me, even with something like the TH-600, there would have to be someone sitting directly next to me for it to be a big problem. I guess it comes down to your particular office environment and whether or not you think others around you would be bothered by a little leakage but in my experience even open and semi-open cans leak at a pretty low volume (depending on how loud you're listening of course). I work from home so I'm not around a lot of people but you would have to at least be in my office, or even standing next to me, in order for my headphone leakage to be a real bother, even with open cans.

Everyone's situation is different though. If you absolutely need good isolation the TH-600 is not for you.

A little leakage won't be a problem.  I know my HD600 is definitely a deal breaker.  If it is anywhere at that level, then definitely won't work for me.  I do work from home a few days a week but when I'm in the office I don't want the guy next to me hearing my tunes.  Question is are the th600 better than the Alpha dog?  Are they similar?  Or completely different?

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #5,365 of 23,433
Yeah if you've got someone sitting next to you and you don't want him to be able to hear your tunes you're going to need some decent isolation. The Alpha Dog supposedly isolates really well and it uses ear pads that isolate well. Unfortunately I don't know what you could expect it to sound like compared to the HD600. Hopefully someone here has heard it and can compare them. I know the Mad Dog was said to be a warm headphone so its probably similar to the HD600 in that way but the Alpha Dog could be completely different.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #5,366 of 23,433
  Yeah if you've got someone sitting next to you and you don't want him to be able to hear your tunes you're going to need some decent isolation. The Alpha Dog supposedly isolates really well and it uses ear pads that isolate well. Unfortunately I don't know what you could expect it to sound like compared to the HD600. Hopefully someone here has heard it and can compare them. I know the Mad Dog was said to be a warm headphone so its probably similar to the HD600 in that way but the Alpha Dog could be completely different.

If you're a fan of the HD600, I really don't think you'll like the AD. I didn't.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #5,370 of 23,433
I had D2000s for a long time, while they are very nice sounding, to my ears I don't think they sound like my HD600s.
Again, to me, Denon have:
-More bass
-Slightly recessed mid range while the Senn have slightly forward mid range
-Quite extended treble which can be annoying for some (not for me though)

but again, I really looooved my D2000s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back