Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #5,326 of 23,433
  I'd agree with that, the 600's are more of an audiophile hp than the more 'fun' 650. 

Must say as well... It is infact pointless trying to fight the urge not to buy the HD800's. The seed is already there my friend. And it will stay there, growing in the back of your mind until it strangles your reasoning. Then one day with an empty look in your eyes and empty house (Wife not in) you will order them. Then for the next few days you will feel a mixture of guilt and high expectation as well as an almost sexual excitement as you keep checking the tracking information. When they do finally arrive, your hands will 'shake like a sh****g dog' as you unbox and then hold them in your mortal hands... They don't sound too bad either. 

But you will probably keep your HD600's as well. Like I did. Because they do some thing's... 'Differently'. 

Oh, you have no idea. Until recently my office was across the street from J&R, that's where I got my HD600's, over the counter. I stared at the HD800's and remembered the sweet sounds coming from them the last time I listened to them at J&R. I knew better than to listen to them again, at that moment, and left with the HD600's and staying within budget.
Alas my office has moved across the river to Jersey City, a brief journey to J&R via the PATH Train or by ferry. I must resist the temptation to swim across the river and fetch a pair. Eventually I'll cave in, hopefully I'll take a dry route as I wouldn't want to get the new babies wet.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #5,327 of 23,433
  Oh, you have no idea. Until recently my office was across the street from J&R, that's where I got my HD600's, over the counter. I stared at the HD800's and remembered the sweet sounds coming from them the last time I listened to them at J&R. I knew better than to listen to them again, at that moment, and left with the HD600's and staying within budget.
Alas my office has moved across the river to Jersey City, a brief journey to J&R via the PATH Train or by ferry. I must resist the temptation to swim across the river and fetch a pair. Eventually I'll cave in, hopefully I'll take a dry route as I wouldn't want to get the new babies wet.

haha the temptation would be too much for me if a hifi shop was opposite my work... But what an nice way to spend your lunch break! 

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #5,328 of 23,433
  haha the temptation would be too much for me if a hifi shop was opposite my work... But what an nice way to spend your lunch break! 

Yes, the following Headphone related results of my lunch breaks at J&R for the last two years: In order of acquisition.
Sony XBA-3
Fiio E11
Sennheiser Momentums (Originals, Around Ear)
HD600

The above was for me. I've also picked up a few step up IEM's for gifts for those living without knowing better, who were using the earbuds supplied with their cellphones.

Then of course there's Amazon and audio stores in NYC.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #5,329 of 23,433
  Yes, the following Headphone related results of my lunch breaks at J&R for the last two years: In order of acquisition.
Sony XBA-3
Fiio E11
Sennheiser Momentums (Originals, Around Ear)
HD600

The above was for me. I've also picked up a few step up IEM's for gifts for those living without knowing better, who were using the earbuds supplied with their cellphones.

Then of course there's Amazon and audio stores in NYC.

Good stuff. I used to work in the city centre about ten year ago when we still had a few hifi shops standing and it was nice calling in and just chatting with the sales guys every now and again. It's such a shame that they have now all succumbed to the cyber revolution. Nothing like trying before you buy. I bought both my HD595's and HD280pros from a place called Global Hifi then. It's simply not the same buying online, no matter how much information you can read about something. Of course its very convenient but..  Ha I remember carrying some Mission floor standers home on the bus once!  

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #5,330 of 23,433
Can the NFB 11.32 connect to an iPod, Zune, phone, etc?

What about the Bottlehead Crack? And how does the Crack connect to a computer?

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #5,331 of 23,433
  Good stuff. I used to work in the city centre about ten year ago when we still had a few hifi shops standing and it was nice calling in and just chatting with the sales guys every now and again. It's such a shame that they have now all succumbed to the cyber revolution. Nothing like trying before you buy. I bought both my HD595's and HD280pros from a place called Global Hifi then. It's simply not the same buying online, no matter how much information you can read about something. Of course its very convenient but..  Ha I remember carrying some Mission floor standers home on the bus once!  

I agree, there's something about being able to compare cans, something you can't do online. The plug in you own source at BestBuy doesn't work most of the time and I'll bet they have some processing in-between the jack and their cans. What I like about J&R is that you get the plug, the one right from the cans and can plug it into your own stuff, phone, DAP, DAC/Amp or whatever you drag into the store. You can compare with your own familiar gear and music.
My favorite was back in 1998 or maybe 1999 I went into J&R to get a set of Sony MDR-V900's that were mistakenly advertised way below any sane price at $69.95 which they honored. My only complaint was that I didn't get in earlier, because that was the last one on the shelf. They even checked stock to see if there were any others, which I would have scooped up. I think that at the time they were going for around $250. I just checked on Amazon, someone is selling a "new" pair for $499. I still have the pair I bought back then, the extended sub-bass is pretty darned good. I guess that I'm a headphone hoarder.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #5,332 of 23,433
  The momentum has some similarity and to me that seems to be the best so far.  It however does not scale well with my DAC/Amp.  They need to make a momentum that is 300 ohms!

Wait for Momentum price slash but only Amperior found. So I just put an order. The next day, sold out. But still my HD600 is the best. Waiting for my Crack reach our shore.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #5,333 of 23,433
  I've listened to all three and spent 45 minutes carefully comparing the HD600 and HD650 and purchased the HD600 even though going in I was expecting to get the HD650.
I found the the HD600 had an wonderful neutrality and the treble response was spot on. The HD650 had a bass that was pushed up a tad more than the HD600 ans a treble that was more recessed, which in combination tarnished the sound a bit for my tastes. I liked the build of the HD700, however, the treble was elevated a bit too much for my tastes, I was hoping that either the HD650 or HD700 would sound even better to me than the HD600. Although the HD600's have been around for a very long time, IMO they sound great and not easily surpassed, unless you really lose all control of your wallet.
I'm trying my best not to listen to the HD800 and directly compare it the HD600, else I will get in trouble with the boss when she recognizes yet another set of cans in the house.

Bad employee. Your boss need to punish you at home...
deadhorse.gif
I haven't have the chance to listen to HD650. Hopefully my ear prefer HD600 than HD650.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5,334 of 23,433
Does anyone know which is more powerful, the cMoyBB or the Xonar DG? The Xonar has an "Exciter" mode for 64+ ohms, but I don't know if they are powerful enough to power the HD600.

I know I can connect the cMoyBB to the Xonar and use both simultaneously. Is this safe? Will it in effect use the power from both amps simultaneously?

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #5,335 of 23,433

Bad employee. Your boss need to punish you at home...
deadhorse.gif
I haven't have the chance to listen to HD650. Hopefully my ear prefer HD600 than HD650.

Once you listen to the metallic sound of the clink and clang of cymbals when listening to the HD600 and compare that to the HD650, I think you'll prefer the HD600. IMO the combination of the elevated bass and muted trebles of the HD650 (although not extreme) creates a perceived tilt in the FR that I do not appreciate. I find that if I want to push up the sub bass with some below 100 Hz EQ,having the flat treble response of the HD600 results in a sound that I find more pleasing.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #5,336 of 23,433
  Once you listen to the metallic sound of the clink and clang of cymbals when listening to the HD600 and compare that to the HD650, I think you'll prefer the HD600. IMO the combination of the elevated bass and muted trebles of the HD650 (although not extreme) creates a perceived tilt in the FR that I do not appreciate. I find that if I want to push up the sub bass with some below 100 Hz EQ,having the flat treble response of the HD600 results in a sound that I find more pleasing.

Before, I'm a fan of Beyer lineup. I love their bright, energetic and control sound except Custom One Pro which is fun sound. Once I bought HD600, now I can forget how T70P, T5P and T9 sound like. Well, HD600 sound better to my ear, because it's the sound that I like. Hopefully able to test HD650 during our local audiophile gathering. But I doubt if they bring Senn headphone.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #5,337 of 23,433
  Before, I'm a fan of Beyer lineup. I love their bright, energetic and control sound except Custom One Pro which is fun sound. Once I bought HD600, now I can forget how T70P, T5P and T9 sound like. Well, HD600 sound better to my ear, because it's the sound that I like. Hopefully able to test HD650 during our local audiophile gathering. But I doubt if they bring Senn headphone.

I think you'll prefer the HD600's that you already own, but it never hurts to listen as you may appreciate the HD600's even more.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #5,339 of 23,433
Does anyone know which is more powerful, the cMoyBB or the Xonar DG? The Xonar has an "Exciter" mode for 64+ ohms, but I don't know if they are powerful enough to power the HD600.

I know I can connect the cMoyBB to the Xonar and use both simultaneously. Is this safe? Will it in effect use the power from both amps simultaneously?

If i'm not wrong, the Xonar doesn't have a line out so if you use both together, you'll be double amping, which isn't something technically correct. No harm trying though, not like it's gonna explode or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back