Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #14,056 of 23,486
  To me the HD-600 is about average in soundstage, not even close to HD-800, my opinion.

Yes, HD600 is much more intimate sounding headphone than some others. And again, it's either a good or bad thing depending on type of music and individual preference.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #14,057 of 23,486
You will blow your ears long before you blow the drivers.

Ahh, no worries there! I'm of a "seasoned" age *cough* where hearing conversation is a priority. This will be my first high-impedance set of cans, and as such a learning experience for me.

My query is mostly about how far I could turn the volume up for a single-song rock out session, without risking driver damage. I think you're right, I'll reach my limit before the drivers do :)

My normal listening volume with X2 and Magni 2 Uber is roughly 25% or 9 o'clock on Low gain, for reference. Switching to K7XX bumps the volume twist by roughly 15%.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #14,058 of 23,486
  The soundstage is constricted and not right to me.  But it doesn't matter since I usually use a HD-800, T1 or SR-009 for classical.  My audio chain is not the problem since the rest of my headphones sound good with it.  FWIW my chain is DACs: Bifrost MB, Uber, UD-301, AH-01, and Modi2uber, amps: SRM-007 (for SR-009 only), Lyr2, Asgard2, AH-01, Ember, BH Crack, and UD-301 since it has a headphone amp in it which is decent.

To me the HD-600 is about average in soundstage, not even close to HD-800, my opinion.

Also I don't use USB connections, too many issues with it as you seem to have found by adding all the extras to clean up your chain, to me you are messing with your chain a lot more to correct "noise" and other issues.

Hmm, well if you think the HD600 soundstage is constricted, I wouldn't agree with that at all, and I've heard the HD800.  So I know a constricted soundstage when I hear it.  IMO, my HD600 soundstage was just like the old pair I had a few years ago, that is to say, it was indeed average, but not constricted.  It's possible I'm misunderstanding your terminology.

When I did the tweaks, the soundstage opened up rather dramatically, lots more air and space between instruments and voices. and you could even start to (roughly) visualize the size of the room, or rather get a sense of the scale of the recording environment, along with other very favorable sonic improvements, the biggest of which was everything sounded far more "real" less "digital" (granted, it didn't sound "digital" until after the change, it just made it so much more apparent how non-authentic it sounded until it started sounding 100% "real").  So my Modi 2 DAC was definitely experiencing interference

So I was not trying to denigrate your setup at all, but get you to consider investigating possible weakness to improve the soundstage of a headphone that should not sound "constricted", but like I said, I could've misread your terminology.  And keep in mind, even expensive DACs/amps can have EMI/RFI issues, even with non-usb connections, as it does not discriminate with expensive components.  Digital components are the most "at risk".  You may not have that problem at all, but who's to know really.

I didn't think I had a "problem" until I actually started experimenting, and I'm glad I did.  At this point I have IMO an end game setup, if I were so inclined to stop... I would definitely not have said that before the tweaks.  

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #14,059 of 23,486
  Ahh, no worries there! I'm of a "seasoned" age *cough* where hearing conversation is a priority. This will be my first high-impedance set of cans, and as such a learning experience for me.

My query is mostly about how far I could turn the volume up for a single-song rock out session, without risking driver damage. I think you're right, I'll reach my limit before the drivers do :)

My normal listening volume with X2 and Magni 2 Uber is roughly 25% or 9 o'clock on Low gain, for reference. Switching to K7XX bumps the volume twist by roughly 15%.

Its hard to say how much power is being sent to the headphone based on the position or how much you turn the volume knob.  When I had the original Magni the volume knob was quite sensitive IIRC but with the Asgard2 and Lyr2 they are much less sensitive so its easier to control the volume.  And just for your curiosity the knob is turned up to 11 on high gain with my Lyr2 for the HD-600 for my normal listening level which doing a rough measure with my S5 phone is about 68db

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #14,060 of 23,486
Came across this 2010 article today:  http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/3/ which I think nicely sums up the differences.

I've been using and favoring HD580/600 cans since 1993!  The 580s sport 600 grills and 3m 650 cables.  The 600s have NewFantasia 2m cables.  I've heard the 650s which I didn't like as much as what I have.  But I've yet to audition the HD800s which admittedly are wallet busters 
eek.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #14,061 of 23,486
  I've been using and favoring HD580/600 cans since 1993!  The 580s sport 600 grills and 3m 650 cables.  The 600s have NewFantasia 2m cables.  I've heard the 650s which I didn't like as much as what I have.  But I've yet to audition the HD800s which admittedly are wallet busters 
eek.gif

I'm also curious about HD800S, but the price...

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #14,062 of 23,486
I am actually seeking advice in the Beyerdynamic T1 thread, considering getting those cans, since they are so close to the HD800, but way cheaper here on the forums.  The HD800 is ridiculously expensive, and barely worth the price based on what I heard when I demoed it... an amazing can for sure, but I'd never pay more than $700-$800 for that sound.  I'm still not sure why Sennheiser is always overpricing their cans, and people seem to mimic it on the forums (though I've seen a couple HD800 go for $500 recently).

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #14,063 of 23,486
  Came across this 2010 article today:  http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/3/ which I think nicely sums up the differences.

eek.gif

+1 on NewFantasia cables! I love them. I've got one set for my HD600s and a set for my X1. There good cheap cables that look and feel nice, plus the screw-on 3.5mm to 1/4" jack is convenient and much less bulking than adapting down from 1/4" (if you need to that is, I finally switched to a headphone amp that has a 1/4" jack).

I can't afford them.....yet. But I can't afford a lot of the stuff I wanna try. I've still managed to try a few of them though. HE1K, TH900, SR007 and SR009, LCD2 (very briefly and not sure what version). But things like the HEX, HD800(S), LCD3 and LCDX, and T1 haven't gotten any headtime with them wish I could though.

Apr 11, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #14,064 of 23,486
  I am actually seeking advice in the Beyerdynamic T1 thread, considering getting those cans, since they are so close to the HD800, but way cheaper here on the forums.  The HD800 is ridiculously expensive, and barely worth the price based on what I heard when I demoed it... an amazing can for sure, but I'd never pay more than $700-$800 for that sound.  I'm still not sure why Sennheiser is always overpricing their cans, and people seem to mimic it on the forums (though I've seen a couple HD800 go for $500 recently).

You've seen them go for $500??? I'd pick up a set for $500 to try. I think I'd like the comfort offered by the HD800, but yet sure about the sound signature, even with extensive reading. But they're just still so much out of my price range.

Like I've tried the Hifiman HE1K and it might be my favorite all-around headphone to date once you weigh every category (no including price). But at over $2k used, I can't afford to get something like that until I'm rich. I'll buy one if I hit the jackpot on the lottery haha
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #14,065 of 23,486

eek.gif

I can't afford them.....yet. But I can't afford a lot of the stuff I wanna try. I've still managed to try a few of them though. HE1K, TH900, SR007 and SR009, LCD2 (very briefly and not sure what version). But things like the HEX, HD800(S), LCD3 and LCDX, and T1 haven't gotten any headtime with them wish I could though.

Don't forget with all/most of these TOTL headphones your audio chain should be up to the task of driving them properly.  @Midgetguy, I have heard all of those you have listed except for HE-X and while they are impressive the equipment that was used to drive them was even more impressive.

I currently have only HD-800, LCD-2, SR-009, and T1, of those that you listed the ones that I would still like to acquire are HD-800S, its has its own signature from the HD-800 and I would keep both, TH-900 (even if I have a TH-600, its more refined but I would sell my TH-600 if I got a TH-900), LCD-X has a slightly different sound from the LCD-2/3 and is easy to drive.  Didn't care for the HE1K, to close to the HE-560 and a little bass lite at times, LCD-3 doesn't do enough better than the LCD-2 to justify the cost IMO.  One that I would like to hear is the T1 gen2. 

I've got the okay from GF to look at trying to get a Liquid Glass before they stop making them but for the price I could get the HD-800S, TH-900 and T1 gen2 so its something that has been driving me crazy the last few days
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #14,067 of 23,486

You need your GF's permission to spend your money?

Its actually our money, she pays the mortgage and utility bills, I take care of everything else.  But its always good to ask, last time I was thinking about getting a HE-560 again since I gave my son my first one she went out and got one for me, she also bought a Ember, Bifrost MB, and T1, so its good to keep her happy
biggrin.gif
, also for many other reasons
wink_face.gif
 (she's in great shape for her age and looks better than her 22 yr old daughter who I think is pretty hot), and not just for what she can buy for me.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #14,070 of 23,486

Don't forget with all/most of these TOTL headphones your audio chain should be up to the task of driving them properly.  @Midgetguy, I have heard all of those you have listed except for HE-X and while they are impressive the equipment that was used to drive them was even more impressive.

I currently have only HD-800, LCD-2, SR-009, and T1, of those that you listed the ones that I would still like to acquire are HD-800S, its has its own signature from the HD-800 and I would keep both, TH-900 (even if I have a TH-600, its more refined but I would sell my TH-600 if I got a TH-900), LCD-X has a slightly different sound from the LCD-2/3 and is easy to drive.  Didn't care for the HE1K, to close to the HE-560 and a little bass lite at times, LCD-3 doesn't do enough better than the LCD-2 to justify the cost IMO.  One that I would like to hear is the T1 gen2. 

I've got the okay from GF to look at trying to get a Liquid Glass before they stop making them but for the price I could get the HD-800S, TH-900 and T1 gen2 so its something that has been driving me crazy the last few days
confused_face_2.gif

I've got the HE560 right now and you're right, the HE1K's sound quality isn't leaps and bounds above it, to my mortal ears at least, but it was much more comfortable. It was still better sounding for sure, but I wouldn't be able to judge by what margin unless I got to listen to both on the same setup, which I didn't. And I didn't get a huge amount of time with it anyway while I've had plenty of time with my HE560. Then factor in listening to an open-back at a meet and you get the gist of how inaccurate said comparison could be. Also the first time I listened to anything costing so much, likely a very expectation-driven judgement anyway. I share the same sentiments as well about "impressive headphones, more impressive equipment"
tongue.gif
. My chain cost me like $150 and I'm quite happy with it; not high-end, but gets the job done adequately. The equipment I listened to the other stuff on cost like $10k haha. Unless I had the kinda headtime to allocate to testing that stuff, I can only make firm comments on comfort. The HE1K is more comfortable because of lower clamping force and pads that are ear-shaped and not circular. And it doesn't really weigh noticeably more than the HE560.

Manufacturers, for the love of god, please learn that while drivers can be circular, pads need not be as well; make them ear-shaped, not driver-shaped. Fostex figured that out with the TH-X00; the cups are circular, but the pad openings are not and it's better because of that.

Good luck with the Liquid Glass conundrum. I know, it seems so weird to think "I could buy this one source object, or a couple TOTL headphones..."
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back