Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #1,351 of 23,486

Quote:

Most of the early impressions that I have read re the HD 700 are that they pretty much fit right in between the HD6xx and HD 800, both in performance and price, with punchier bass than the HD 800 and more treble extension than the HD 6xx. [...]

Well, I guess the only way to find out if the HD700 is a worthy successor is to listen to one then. Still, the HD600 has just the right balance (in tonality) to my ears, I would not want it to be any brighter - not even for the benefit of a higher resolution and/or better soundstage.
I'm just going to wait a couple of months, I'm sure there will soon be plenty of HD700s in the classfieds section :)

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #1,352 of 23,486

Quote:
Since E10 can't be used as a portable AMP, I am looking up at the E17.
Pity for my wallet.

E17 doesn't have enough juice to "fully power" the HD-600 either. I don't know if they had some special synergy though. I read somewhere that [size=x-small]the max. power handling of the HD600 is 80mW, while the E17 outputs max of ~30mW.[/size]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the E10 kind of dark? Maybe it would be a poor match for the HD-600? Never tried it though.

Freq. Resp. 33 ohm [size=x-small]+/- 0.1 dB A (Fiio E10);[/size]

Let the subjective vs objective war begin 
popcorn.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,355 of 23,486

Quote:
Since E10 can't be used as a portable AMP, I am looking up at the E17.
Pity for my wallet.

You should be THANKFUL rather than pity as the E17 will at least get the HD600 moving. Do a poll here to see what amp/what price range of amps are people using with their HD600...

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,357 of 23,486
That list is from 1983.  The Senn 600 has been updated a few times since.  Its academic though since 200mW would be 120dB and only the stone deaf would go near that.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,358 of 23,486
I'm loking forward to buy a pair of HD600's, although I've never heard them, but I've heard the 650's, but I found them too bassy for my taste, and the highs weren't as extended as I would like either.
Are the 600's good for rock and some metal?
My AMP/DAC is ASUS Essence One .

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,359 of 23,486

Quote:
I'm loking forward to buy a pair of HD600's, although I've never heard them, but I've heard the 650's, but I found them too bassy for my taste, and the highs weren't as extended as I would like either.

That's exactly what I thought when I auditioned the 650s.  But I liked a lof of the other aspects so I ordered the 600s and was pretty pleased with the tonality

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #1,360 of 23,486

Quote:
Are the 600's good for rock and some metal?
My AMP/DAC is ASUS Essence One .

I think they sound pretty good for rock and metal but on my system I prefer my modded HD555s simply because the midrange is much more forward and lends to a more aggressive and enticing performance.  

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,361 of 23,486

Quote:
E17 doesn't have enough juice to "fully power" the HD-600 either. I don't know if they had some special synergy though. I read somewhere that [size=x-small]the max. power handling of the HD600 is 80mW, while the E17 outputs max of ~30mW.[/size]

I wonder how much power is sufficient for HD600, electronically speaking, how much voltage or mW is suitable
for a 300 ohm HP?
To my experience when connecting directly to a tablet, the 600 sounds even better than with a FiiO E6, because the later adds a slight echo feeling into the music.
--Edit
Just now I read an article about HP impedance, as the required Watt doubles per 3 db, 30mW is about 13 db add to HD600's 97db/mW sensitivity, which seems more than enough.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,362 of 23,486
Well I had a lot of catching up to do...I gave up headfi and other forums for Lent. :p

Anyways I thumbed the thread the last few weeks for stuff I missed. I won't comment much on stuff from Feb and early March but I will re-quote one section along with asking a few questions...

Here's a very interesting graph. Based on my experiments it makes perfect sense and I know some will disagree:

Looks like the less air the driver gets, the more forward it's upper mids and treble are.

I'm going to experiment more and try to make a closed HD-600 with some old HD-580 grills. Yes, i'm weird.
The soundstage of the HD-600 actually won't get that small.

This graph proves my point of wanting to increase bass on these headphones. I add a couple dB from 120Hz or so downward in an increasing amounts as the frequency drops to keep the bass level. The HD600 come "close" to my Denon AH-D7000 in the bass department going this route. I minimize distortion by dropping the eQ across the board about -4dB so that the lowest frequency slider on the eQ is at 0dB (or effectively +4dB from the rest of the spectrum). No distortion and killer bass. :)

Anyways, question guys since I got ZERO input from a dedicated thread earlier. I have a Galaxy S2 (AT&T i777 variant). It's based on the Exynos chipset and it's a phenomenal phone but has a less than stellar audio output. I've been toying around a dedicated portable amp for this device when I travel (it was "okay" for my earbuds while working out). Anyways I was about to drop some cash on an RSA model but stumbled across a hack for the audio chipset on this phone (see link below). Is it placebo or am I really hearing improvement? Before the HD600 (with a 1/8th converter) sounded lifeless on the phone and now not only do they sound lively but they play loudly too. I'm shocked and have since delayed purchase for an amp. Even my earbuds really sing. What's your take. Here's the link...

It seems to be an entire rewritten audio driver for the phone and it claims using analog switches exploiting the chipset is how it's getting more volume.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.louder&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIm9yZy5wcm9qZWN0dm9vZG9vLmxvdWRlciJd

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,363 of 23,486
I read earlier in this thread about Sennheiser ending production on HD 600.. I think that is a rumor, they are still being sold everywhere, and they dont mention anything about it on the website.. I HOPE it's only a rumor, because I wantto buy one this summer.

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,364 of 23,486

I heard from a dealer that they aren't going to be discontinued. I have heard that some point distribution in the US is going to be limited to Amazon.com. Sounds strange to me though...
Quote:
I read earlier in this thread about Sennheiser ending production on HD 600.. I think that is a rumor, they are still being sold everywhere, and they dont mention anything about it on the website.. I HOPE it's only a rumor, because I wantto buy one this summer.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,365 of 23,486
Gotta say, owned HD650's for a while and LOVED them..    But after getting a set of new HD600's and testing them out for the past couple weeks and comparing to the HD650's, I honestly think I prefer them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back