Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #1,321 of 23,482
Hey all, just got some 600s and was wondering what the next upgrade in the process should be.  I am currently using Macbook Optical out > Nuforce HDP > HD600.  I've been toying with the idea of buying a hiface or a similar device.  How much of a difference in sound would this make?  Or should I try to save up for a better amp/DAC? 

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,322 of 23,482

Quote:
Hey all, just got some 600s and was wondering what the next upgrade in the process should be.  I am currently using Macbook Optical out > Nuforce HDP > HD600.  I've been toying with the idea of buying a hiface or a similar device.  How much of a difference in sound would this make?  Or should I try to save up for a better amp/DAC? 

The HDP is a very good unit and it'll be pretty damn hard to beat it for output honestly. If you NEED to spend money, I guess you could buy a new amp to chain to the HD600 (it won't make a huge difference unless it's tube) or maybe even cables honestly. You have a very well-rounded setup and I know it's pretty rare for people to hear that what they've got is good enough on head-fi, but thats the honest truth. The HDP's funky dynamics are what make it so good, the output actually is pretty dang good too. You get a lot of punchy bass compared to most solid state amps and the treble only gets sibilant on lower impedance cans that require a lot of current.

I mean if you're really out to spend money, maybe try cables? I mean I know they carry a stigma but most cable manufacturers actually offer  some sort of refund policy, but I'm certain that once you give them a try it's pretty hard to go back.

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,323 of 23,482
I've always wanted to try out the HDP and more recently the HD since I don't need the preamp. The dac/amp doesn't take up much space unlike most of the rest of my gear so always been interested but never had the chance and don't really want to spend to find out in this case but good to know that it is quite good.

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,324 of 23,482

Quote:
The HDP is a very good unit and it'll be pretty damn hard to beat it for output honestly. If you NEED to spend money, I guess you could buy a new amp to chain to the HD600 (it won't make a huge difference unless it's tube) or maybe even cables honestly. You have a very well-rounded setup and I know it's pretty rare for people to hear that what they've got is good enough on head-fi, but thats the honest truth. The HDP's funky dynamics are what make it so good, the output actually is pretty dang good too. You get a lot of punchy bass compared to most solid state amps and the treble only gets sibilant on lower impedance cans that require a lot of current.

I mean if you're really out to spend money, maybe try cables? I mean I know they carry a stigma but most cable manufacturers actually offer  some sort of refund policy, but I'm certain that once you give them a try it's pretty hard to go back.

This is honestly what I've been thinking since I got the 600s.  I have heard a few other higher end systems at meets and this comes close to them for a fraction of the cost.  It seems strange to find a stopping place in this hobby but I think I might have found mine.  

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,325 of 23,482

Quote:

Music to my ears, as i have a similar set up.  This is somewhat off topic, but saw you have the HE-500.  Is the HE-500 a significant upgrade to the HD600?  Is the HDP powerful enough to drive the HE-500's well?

Apr 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,326 of 23,482

Quote:
Music to my ears, as i have a similar set up.  This is somewhat off topic, but saw you have the HE-500.  Is the HE-500 a significant upgrade to the HD600?  Is the HDP powerful enough to drive the HE-500's well?

Yes and yes.

HE-5LE
HE-500

The former is a very very hungry beast and I will admit the HDP is lacking for that model depending on where you like your volume, but after about 3 oclock it gets kinda brassy.
The latter runs beautifully and I didn't get that much more going to the Lyr, but love is in the details really..

If you need more power, just buy a Matrix M-Stage to couple to the HDP and run the HDP on max gain from DAC (10V) and you'll have more power than you'd need.

Power isn't just amp depending, if your source has a high enough voltage (usually it's 5 or 10) you'll have a lot less work for the amp to do. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,327 of 23,482

Quote:

If you need more power, just buy a Matrix M-Stage to couple to the HDP and run the HDP on max gain from DAC (10V) and you'll have more power than you'd need.

Thanks for the response.  I actually have the Icon HD version, so I don't think I have that option.
 Sounds like the HE-500 would still be worth it though.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,329 of 23,482

Quote:
Thanks for the response.  I actually have the Icon HD version, so I don't think I have that option.
 Sounds like the HE-500 would still be worth it though.

Icon HD should be the HDP without the amp circuit, I'm sure you can pair a decent DAC like an HRT MS2 and have the same thing.

Quote:
The HE-500 is more of a better T1 than 600.

I never look at graphs but now I can at least see that even on paper the HE-500's are a little flat. Always good to hear that what you've got is better than a 1k+ headphone tho :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,330 of 23,482
Well, picked up a pair of HD600's because my HD650's are on semi-long term loan to my buddy..  Very impressed. Its been a while since I've listened to my HD650's but they feel and sound similar.
The marble pattern isn't near as ugly as I thought in person. Camera flashes do not do it any justice.
Will have to AxB them when I get the 650's back.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,331 of 23,482
Got one yesterday.
I'm so happy with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,333 of 23,482

So far I just use an Android tablet for testing its functionality, because I bought a used one yesterday.
It is about one years old and hardly used. 
Music files include mp3 and flac, I'm suprised that hd600 makes some low quality mp3 files sounds better.
How can a high resolution HP doing this?
Right now my only amp is a FiiO E6, looks insufficient for 600. I shall try it tonight.

Quote:
John, what source are you using?

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,334 of 23,482
I am also surprised by how well mp3s sound.  Just for fun I played a few songs out of a 1g iPod shuffle.  I could tell everything was a little less precise but it still sounded about as good as listening to my old HD555s through it.  What are you planning to get down the line?

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,335 of 23,482

Quote:
So far I just use an Android tablet for testing its functionality, because I bought a used one yesterday.
It is about one years old and hardly used. 
Music files include mp3 and flac, I'm suprised that hd600 makes some low quality mp3 files sounds better.
How can a high resolution HP doing this?
Right now my only amp is a FiiO E6, looks insufficient for 600. I shall try it tonight.

Originally Posted by nwavguy:
Trying my HD650s resulted in rather nasty clipping on peaks. Unless you listen to highly compressed music, and don’t like it very loud, the E6 is a poor match with headphones like the HD650, HD600, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back