Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #12,871 of 23,498
  OK guys, help me out here. I just yesterday got a pair of Sennheiser 600s for $263 bucks (a steal) from Amazon in like new condition. So originally, I have a pair of 558s which I freaking LOVE. I wear them constantly and think they're basically about perfect for my tastes. They're musical, engaging, and the sound just seems to melt right into you. They're comforting and laid back and smooth.

So anyway, I was looking for an upgrade
rolleyes.gif
and since I loved the 558s, I figured Sennheiser higher grade would be great. I read the reviews for the 600 and they seemed to match what I heard in the 558s by the description of the sound and what I was looking for in a headphone. I could've got the 650s but the bass signature kind of threw me off them.

Anyway, so I got the 600s and I've had them on my head for a total of about 15 hours now and I'm just not loving them. The problems: they're fairly sterile and not engaging, and I think the treble is killing my ears. I've literally got a headache from these and my ears feel as if they've been pricked by pick axes. I had the same problem when I modded my 558s (by taking out the rubber sticky piece) to sound like the 598s which everyone swore by --- the treble/highs were just too sharp. I feel like the 600s are in between the 558s and 598s on that level...not as painful as the 598s but still causing earaches.  (note: I never get headaches with the 558s)

The good: balanced, clean, clear, great fit...they're not as smooth or laid back, I feel, as the 558s. They're a bit more aggressive, if that makes sense. They're  more analytical instead of musical. More "edgy". I'm fine with that, I can learn to deal....but the thing that really is killing me is probably the treble. The bass is slightly deeper than the 558s and sounds great. [never had any issues with the lack of bass on the 558s either] (I'm not a bass head, and I honestly like bass shy music)

Is there a way to tame that sharpness out? I am using the stock cable. Do I need to upgrade the cable or get balanced cables? I know it's not the DAC (Geek Out 450) because everything else I've ever played on the DAC sounds great. Any ideas? Is what I'm hearing normal?

I'm almost quite sure it's due to amplifiers. An amplifier works well with others does not mean i works well with 600. Few page before, I mention I have a tube amo. and a SS amp. The SS works well with 650 but bad with 600. It makes 600 sound dry/sterile and even harsh. But with tube, 600 sounds wonderful and 650 bad!! Try  tube amplifiers.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #12,872 of 23,498
  I'm almost quite sure it's due to amplifiers. An amplifier works well with others does not mean i works well with 600. Few page before, I mention I have a tube amo. and a SS amp. The SS works well with 650 but bad with 600. It makes 600 sound dry/sterile and even harsh. But with tube, 600 sounds wonderful and 650 bad!! Try  tube amplifiers.

I've personally found the HD600 very easy to pair with different amps. I usually use a Keces HA-171 to power the 600's which is a SS amp and they pair very well together. Every so often I'll switch it up and use my Little Dot MK III to drive them and it sounds quite different but still awesome. I also have a Beresford amp (SS) that pairs well with them. So I'm wondering if there could be an issue with the headphone itself because if I were to describe the HD600 it would be polite, smooth and a bit laid back. They have a very smooth presentation of the music with a classic sound, like a good stereo system. I also purchased mine for $230. new retail a year or so ago so I don't believe 260 was that great of a price used. Aren't they going for less than that now?

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #12,873 of 23,498
  I've personally found the HD600 very easy to pair with different amps. I usually use a Keces HA-171 to power the 600's which is a SS amp and they pair very well together. Every so often I'll switch it up and use my Little Dot MK III to drive them and it sounds quite different but still awesome. I also have a Beresford amp (SS) that pairs well with them. So I'm wondering if there could be an issue with the headphone itself because if I were to describe the HD600 it would be polite, smooth and a bit laid back. They have a very smooth presentation of the music with a classic sound, like a good stereo system. I also purchased mine for $230. new retail a year or so ago so I don't believe 260 was that great of a price used. Aren't they going for less than that now?

Yes. You have one SS and one tube and work both well and I have one SS and one tube and not necessary. So except his 600 is defected, the only reason is the source/amplifier since we cannot assure 600 works well with any SS and tube amplifier, which is what I experienced. So..

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #12,874 of 23,498
  I'm sensitive with treble, that the reason I sold HE400 and replaced by HD600.
I bought used HD600, I replaced old pads with new one.

I have two desktop amp ; Maverick D1 and Gustard H10, both ampa paired well with my HD600.
No harsh  treble, very smooth. Please note my HD600 is more than 2 years old no need burn in.

~ron~

Is the HE400 no for treble-sensitive people? I thought it was more of a smooth and laid-back sound from what I've read. Unfortunately haven't heard one yet though. But I'm pretty happy with my HD600 and I did upgrade from a stock HD558. The HD600 is the more involving headphone to my ears. The HD558 is good, but not quite as musical to me and its bass doesn't quite extend as low.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #12,875 of 23,498
  OK guys, help me out here. I just yesterday got a pair of Sennheiser 600s for $263 bucks (a steal) from Amazon in like new condition. So originally, I have a pair of 558s which I freaking LOVE. I wear them constantly and think they're basically about perfect for my tastes. They're musical, engaging, and the sound just seems to melt right into you. They're comforting and laid back and smooth.

So anyway, I was looking for an upgrade
rolleyes.gif
and since I loved the 558s, I figured Sennheiser higher grade would be great. I read the reviews for the 600 and they seemed to match what I heard in the 558s by the description of the sound and what I was looking for in a headphone. I could've got the 650s but the bass signature kind of threw me off them.

Anyway, so I got the 600s and I've had them on my head for a total of about 15 hours now and I'm just not loving them. The problems: they're fairly sterile and not engaging, and I think the treble is killing my ears. I've literally got a headache from these and my ears feel as if they've been pricked by pick axes. I had the same problem when I modded my 558s (by taking out the rubber sticky piece) to sound like the 598s which everyone swore by --- the treble/highs were just too sharp. I feel like the 600s are in between the 558s and 598s on that level...not as painful as the 598s but still causing earaches.  (note: I never get headaches with the 558s)

The good: balanced, clean, clear, great fit...they're not as smooth or laid back, I feel, as the 558s. They're a bit more aggressive, if that makes sense. They're  more analytical instead of musical. More "edgy". I'm fine with that, I can learn to deal....but the thing that really is killing me is probably the treble. The bass is slightly deeper than the 558s and sounds great. [never had any issues with the lack of bass on the 558s either] (I'm not a bass head, and I honestly like bass shy music)

Is there a way to tame that sharpness out? I am using the stock cable. Do I need to upgrade the cable or get balanced cables? I know it's not the DAC (Geek Out 450) because everything else I've ever played on the DAC sounds great. Any ideas? Is what I'm hearing normal?

Might worth to play with different amps or sources. 
I found HD600 smooth and warm with Fiio X3 1st gen plus Schiit Vali.
With X3 2nd gen plus Vali the treble was too harsh, made my ears hurt after 30 mins. 
X3 2nd gen plus iFi Micro iCan or iFi Nano iCan has perfect, pleasing treble again. 
Just my 2 cents. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #12,876 of 23,498

I have no idea where you're looking for headphones. The cheapest I'm finding in all corners of the web *on a typical basis* are 280 generally as the minimum on Sennheiser 600s, and that's USED. Now as far as last year, the market may have been different but it's not that way now, at least to my research. if Someone can show me what I'm doing wrong PLEASE FIX ME.

Also, so I ran the headphones last night and all of today like non-stop. The treble seems to smoothed out and I no longer have that piercing painful aspect I mentioned. It's about 80% or so improved. I guess it just had to burn in. I will continue to run it and see if it improves it even more. I'm more impressed than I was earlier, to say the least. I still don't think it's as engaging as the 558s but I'm only on day 2, hour 20 or so. Also, the sound in general smoothed out and is more laid back like what you guys are describing. :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #12,877 of 23,498
I have no idea where you're looking for headphones. The cheapest I'm finding in all corners of the web *on a typical basis* are 280 generally as the minimum on Sennheiser 600s, and that's USED. Now as far as last year, the market may have been different but it's not that way now, at least to my research. if Someone can show me what I'm doing wrong PLEASE FIX ME.

:)

Yes, until very recently around $280 USD was a good price for used HD600. But at least one e-trailer started selling them new for $250, around Black Friday, so that has affected the market.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #12,878 of 23,498
Yes, until very recently around $280 USD was a good price for used HD600. But at least one e-trailer started selling them new for $250, around Black Friday, so that has affected the market.

Yeah, I believe several retailers dropped the price to around $250 near Black Friday. But up until then, it was a bit over $300 at many places and just a little under $300 many months ago. The market does fluctuate slightly but it rarely drops below $250, I'd say @CADCAM was lucky with his price. I bought mine for $260, like new condition when it retailed for about $310 I think, was maybe a year and half ago.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #12,879 of 23,498

I was looking up to 2 weeks before Black Friday and generally the prices were still over 300 and Amazon eventually dropped to 314. A couple weeks before that they had a used Warehouse deal for 250 but I didn't grab it due to some other bills that had to get paid. I just hung around and waited and knew I'd eventually find a cheap one in that same range and did. But it was a lot of waiting and searching involved.

Who was the company(s) who put them out for 250? some other guy on EBay had a Very good condition set for like 290 I think that included balanced cables. Unfortunately it was during that time I was paying bills.

Yeah, I believe several retailers dropped the price to around $250 near Black Friday. But up until then, it was a bit over $300 at many places and just a little under $300 many months ago. The market does fluctuate slightly but it rarely drops below $250, I'd say @CADCAM
was lucky with his price. I bought mine for $260, like new condition when it retailed for about $310 I think, was maybe a year and half ago.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #12,880 of 23,498
I was looking up to 2 weeks before Black Friday and generally the prices were still over 300 and Amazon eventually dropped to 314. A couple weeks before that they had a used Warehouse deal for 250 but I didn't grab it due to some other bills that had to get paid. I just hung around and waited and knew I'd eventually find a cheap one in that same range and did. But it was a lot of waiting and searching involved.

Who was the company(s) who put them out for 250? some other guy on EBay had a Very good condition set for like 290 I think that included balanced cables. Unfortunately it was during that time I was paying bills.

During Black Friday, Adorama had it for $250 I think. Possibly B&HPhoto as well, though I can't remember. But I recall more than one place had it for $250. It had been over $300 for several months until that point.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #12,882 of 23,498
Amazon dropped the price of HD600 by 160 USD to 239.99 + tax and HD650 by 200 USD to 299.99 during Thanksgiving. That happened around 2 a.m. est. on Nov. 24 and lasted for a few hours. I grabbed both but later decided to cancel my order of 650 and keeps 600. Happy with it.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #12,883 of 23,498
  Amazon dropped the price of HD600 by 160 USD to 239.99 + tax and HD650 by 200 USD to 299.99 during Thanksgiving. That happened around 2 a.m. est. on Nov. 24 and lasted for a few hours. I grabbed both but later decided to cancel my order of 650 and keeps 600. Happy with it.

Good move.   I'm one of the few on this planet who does not like the HD650.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #12,884 of 23,498
  Ordered my pair from B&H Photo for $250 last week (on back order). They list it for $399 now. 

Wow, they list it again for MSRP? It's not that much on Amazon, even with tax.

Good move.   I'm one of the few on this planted who does not like the HD650.

I don't hate the HD650, but I like the HD600 more.

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #12,885 of 23,498
I own both the 600 & 650 & I think they are both fantastic phones. Actually like them both more than the 700. There's certain music I listen to where the 600 performs better and vice versa. But from my experience I think they both sound better on an otl amplifier. I've also got a violectric amp which drives them well, but I perfer the warm lush sound of tubes with the hd series. Now that the weather has changed I can wear my sennheiser sweat shirt when I gear up. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back