Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #12,363 of 23,456
Can anyone tell me the difference between running the Sennheiser HD-600 with either the Schiit Asgard 2 vs. the Schiit Valhalla 2?

How much on the volume pot is needed to run them with any of these two amps? I have been trying to decide which is the better amp to run the HD-600s, Schiit Asgard 2 or the Schiit Valhalla 2?

Also, what are the sonic differences between the two amps and if there are pros and cons of both?

(p.s. has anyone also tried them on a Lyr 2, and if so, how much on the volume pot does it need to run at comfortable or confident levels?)

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #12,364 of 23,456
Plastic is only sexy like a cheep hooker is sexy when you're terribly desperate. It can NEVER be elegant. Sorry, them the laws of the universe. :)

Now, B&W P5/7... those are elegant.

I agree with the women, but to me the HD 600 is still among the best looking headphones ever (though I have to agree that they feel a little cheap).

The HD 600, LCD-2 bamboo and models from Grado are imho the best looking headphones ever - timeless and elegant beauties.
Though, I have to agree that the B&W P5 (S1) is also pretty elegant, but imho not as good-looking as the others I've mentioned. In addition, I found it pretty muffled and overpriced but almost bought it solely for the looks when it was on sale after it was discontinued.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #12,365 of 23,456
I use a Schiit Magni 2 Uber and I've been going back and forth between it and straight out of the headphone jack on my Marantz 26 receiver. With my lower ohms headphones the headphone jack sounded bloated and farty, but with the higher ohms it actually sounds really good on the limited time I've been trying it.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #12,366 of 23,456
Sep 13, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #12,367 of 23,456
Though, I have to agree that the B&W P5 (S1) is also pretty elegant, but imho not as good-looking as the others I've mentioned. In addition, I found it pretty muffled and overpriced but almost bought it solely for the looks when it was on sale after it was discontinued.

I haven't had the opportunity to hear them, though I have been looking at acquiring a used set of P7s.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #12,368 of 23,456
I don't know about the P5 S2 and P7, but the P5 was just too muffled sounding and warm, and the bass was imho too soft with just a below average resolution for the (msr-) price.

For €150 on sale, on the other hand, it wouldn't have been a bad deal. I kind of regret that I didn't go for it, but On-Ears aren't my favourite type of headphones for otg listening anyway, though I'm planning to getting a Beyerdynamic DT1350 to complement my Sennheiser Amperior.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #12,369 of 23,456
I don't know about the P5 S2 and P7, but the P5 was just too muffled sounding and warm, and the bass was imho too soft with just a below average resolution for the (msr-) price.

For €150 on sale, on the other hand, it wouldn't have been a bad deal. I kind of regret that I didn't go for it, but On-Ears aren't my favourite type of headphones for otg listening anyway, though I'm planning to getting a Beyerdynamic DT1350 to complement my Sennheiser Amperior.

In agreement with your comments on the P5. Sounded muffled to me and didn't have remotely enough clarity. They had some great looks, but I'm really not the on-ear kinda guy anyway. Yes, the HD600 does look a little cheap, but I've grown to really like its looks. It will always be what I think of when I think over-ear headphone. Gotta say though, the Fidelio X1 looks damn sexy. Better than the X2 in my opinion, which just looked way too dark with the all-gunmetal color approach. The X1 just was absolutely beautiful when I got them outta the box.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #12,370 of 23,456

I'm not a fan of on-ear either. The P7 is proper over-ear, and is meant to sound much better.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #12,372 of 23,456
To each his own.

Honestly, I'm not in any hurry to get them, either. They are a portable phone, and I prefer IEMs for that use. The P7 is simply the first and only over-ear I'm sorely tempted to make an exception for. :)

Not right now. I still have to pay off these Angies. :cool:

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #12,374 of 23,456

Hello to all – just joined after much research and finally grabbing an HD600 discounted at Music Direct. I have a question at the end here (maybe answered in bits and pieces previously, but hard to tell…) with a bit of history for clarification:
I spent a week this summer with a friend’s HD580, very surprised at how well it was driven from my Fiio X1, to my ears at least. I concluded I had found the headphone of my dreams, where everything came across as detailed yet even-keeled. That was the key: for the first time in my listening nothing leaped out negatively and I could grab whatever I wanted from the dark background. Thus the HD600 purchase.

Upon initial listening, I was VERY disappointed, and continue to be somewhat so. The 2007 change was to my ears not what I would want, if that is what happened. While the upper registers are a bit hard, worse is the sibilance that I cannot ignore. I have tried driving from the Fiio, my Yamaha Aventage receiver, and a borrowed Linn Intek. I do make the phones more accessible and somewhat enjoyable by dropping the treble on the receiver a half step and EQing the DAP, and not listening too loudly. So here is the question:
What might be all the benefits of a dedicated headphone amp / DAC? In all the discussions I have heard talk of increased soundstage more defined bass, increased drive and clarity…but I don’t think any reference to taming top end – more specifically ameliorating that very noticeable sibilant peak. THANKS for thoughts! I would really like to work with these.

As folks have pointed out in this thread, the HD 600 does reveal attributes of the source, whether that of the hardware or software. When using my 598s I thought my cd player to be sibilant, as compared to my old Sony ES. And I guess many cds are mixed with a bit more SSSSSSS than I used to think. It seems to me that I am really picking up on this with these HD 600s. I was definitely frustrated that they do not play well with my Fiio DAP, while 580 sounds magical with it.

With a week under my belt, however, I am much happier with the new Senns. I recognize that I can’t just get great sound out of every recording. But when they sing, they SING. Even at some points when I feel the top end to be steely or a little whispy, I can hear into the recording and appreciate what the headphones are doing. At the same time, I can see what they are capable of if I ever change anything in the front end. Even custom equing the Fiio makes the combination pretty good, when previously I found it unlistenable.

It’s nice to be able to sit back and enjoy with the certainty that I will hold on to these – no thoughts of returning, while looking for a used 650 (which perhaps would have been more to my taste, initially). Cool.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #12,375 of 23,456
Out of interest, how would you say the Angies compare to the 600's?

Frightfully well. Treble is just as extended, clean and pure on Angie. Nothing harsh or offensive going on there. The timbre of the mids on Sennheiser is a tad smoother, and rounded, and certainly more laid back. Angie is more detailed, but again, in a comfortable, natural way. Bass can be significantly less, or much more on Angie, owing to where you set the pots. We're talking nimble, textured bass, capable of great versatility.

If you're looking for an in-ear monitor that performs like a nice set of full-sized cans, Angie does it. Is she unique in this? I don't know. This is my first TOTL IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back