Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #811 of 23,486
When I got my HD600, without giving the stock cables a chance switched to the V3 silver dragon and did like the sound. After about 300 hours on the silver cable, I feel that it has reached it's peak.  Unfortunately, it's a 5 ft cable which really does not provide for freedom of movement.  Today, I decided to switch to the stock cable. Powered by the crack, it sounds amazing!  If there is a difference which there is, subjectively, it is subtle and does not warrant spending $200 plus for a cable upgrade.  Of course, if you have the money to burn, go for it but for most on a budget, the stock cable would satisfy your audio nirvana cravings.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #813 of 23,486
I have the HD650 cable on my HD600s.  Only reason I have it that way is because I bought them used and that's how they came.  Plus $225 for the cable "upgrade" and the headphones itself I figured was a nice little bargain.  It's one of my favorite headphones I have. 

I've never heard it on the stock cable but looking at pictures it appears the HD650 cable looks more durable and professional being all black rather than the thin flimsy ugly gray cable.  :wink:

Here they are with the HD650 cabling.  Looks natural on them.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #814 of 23,486

Quote:
I have the HD650 cable on my HD600s.  Only reason I have it that way is because I bought them used and that's how they came.  Plus $225 for the cable "upgrade" and the headphones itself I figured was a nice little bargain.  It's one of my favorite headphones I have. 

I've never heard it on the stock cable but looking at pictures it appears the HD650 cable looks more durable and professional being all black rather than the thin flimsy ugly gray cable.  :wink:

Here they are with the HD650 cabling.  Looks natural on them.

The stock 600 cable is black.  I think the 650 cable sounds better than the stock 600. May just be a placebo because it feels like ther is more to it...

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #817 of 23,486

Quote:
Well, that's a whole other discussion, isn't it?

Personally, I think audiophiles in general tend to exaggerate their perceptions in an attempt to articulate them clearly. What comes off as a huge difference may really be very subtle (or even non-existent).

This is a very subjective hobby driven by personal taste, human error, and emotion. I personally appreciate that Sennheiser engineers have been tweaking and refining the HD 580 for almost 20 years now and the HD 600 (and 650) is the pinnacle of their work. I like how it sounds right out of the box - that's why I bought it. And if you like the way the HD 600 sounds, why mess with it?

Others here who are curious (or even more adventurous) might swap the cable, remove some felt here, add blue tack there, and swear it sounds better. Who's right? It doesn't matter as long as you're happy with what you have.

Decide for yourself.

I agree, in that my HD650s just have the ability to put out wonderful sound, so smooth yet crisp, refined, and musical. However I don't necessarily agree that it's best exactly as it sounds out of the box. Listening to classical music (violins, orchestra, etc.) just doesn't sound right on my HD650 stock. After equalizing just a little 15khz+ treble boost, and it's brilliant.

The HD600 is probably a better all-around-er stock though so your post probably makes a lot of sense in this thread, but you mentioned the HD650 too :p

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #818 of 23,486

Quote:
I agree, in that my HD650s just have the ability to put out wonderful sound, so smooth yet crisp, refined, and musical. However I don't necessarily agree that it's best exactly as it sounds out of the box. Listening to classical music (violins, orchestra, etc.) just doesn't sound right on my HD650 stock. After equalizing just a little 15khz+ treble boost, and it's brilliant.

The HD600 is probably a better all-around-er stock though so your post probably makes a lot of sense in this thread, but you mentioned the HD650 too :p

Well, a little EQ here and there is more of a personal taste thing than engineering. I had the 650's for a while but got rid of them because I found the treble too recessed with too much of my music.

But 15k...I'm impressed. I can't even hear tones that high anymore!

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #819 of 23,486

Quote:

The stock 600 cable is black.  I think the 650 cable sounds better than the stock 600. May just be a placebo because it feels like ther is more to it...

I swore by google images these look grey...and certainly flimsy (thin) compared to the HD650 and definitely compared to my AH-D7000s.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=&q=sennheiser+hd600&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=414l3166l0l3348l16l14l0l4l4l0l216l1449l2.3.4l9l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=9cfZTv3UHNPptgeb-IDwAQ&biw=1248&bih=597&sei=-MfZToLTDIm3twfNpYntAQ

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #821 of 23,486
^ Not to me, I prefer the 650 cable with my 600s 
smile.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #824 of 23,486

Quote:
Choosing one over the other is a preference thing. I just dont like the slightly more V-shaped sound of the hd650 cable because the mids get drowned out a little IMO

The mids are rather prominent to me on the HD600 using the HD650 cable, especially when compared to my Denon's which notoriously have a slightly recessed mid range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back