Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #7,339 of 23,499
I will point out that it is hard to find a good opinion of the schiit products.  at some point, someone found the amps bright, and now that seem to be the first thing people say when they come up.  some have heard them, some have not.  The only way to really tell is to get the amp, and try it in your system. I think they have a good return policy if its not to your liking.

I like the idea of schiit being quality US made gear, but I have not heard the schiit with my 600's because I have the bottlehead.  now the bottlehead, I can highly recommend. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #7,340 of 23,499
  I will point out that it is hard to find a good opinion of the schiit products.  at some point, someone found the amps bright, and now that seem to be the first thing people say when they come up.  some have heard them, some have not.  The only way to really tell is to get the amp, and try it in your system. I think they have a good return policy if its not to your liking.

I like the idea of schiit being quality US made gear, but I have not heard the schiit with my 600's because I have the bottlehead.  now the bottlehead, I can highly recommend. 
wink_face.gif

I don't think all Schiit amps are bright. Do people in general say that? I've never heard that said of the Lyr. I definitely wouldn't call the Asgard bright. It has been said of the Valhalla and early Magni, or perhaps tinny is a better way to describe the early Magni; I think that the Magni's revision has left it less bright than it originally was. The Vali is not really bright either. 

Personally, I think reading the appropriate threads, you get a fairly good idea of what each Schiit amp sounds like. I'm sure there are some that love the Valhalla and HD600 combo, but I can't remember that combo being consistently recommended...unlike the Crack and HD600 which gets lots of love, or even the Vali and HD600. 

I think the opinions of others who've heard and owned Schiit products are as valid as your evaluation of your Bottlehead. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #7,341 of 23,499

wink_face.gif

I just gave my opinion.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #7,342 of 23,499

I don't think all Schiit amps are bright. Do people in general say that? I've never heard that said of the Lyr. I definitely wouldn't call the Asgard bright. It has been said of the Valhalla and early Magni, or perhaps tinny is a better way to describe the early Magni; I think that the Magni's revision has left it less bright than it originally was. The Vali is not really bright either. 

Personally, I think reading the appropriate threads, you get a fairly good idea of what each Schiit amp sounds like. I'm sure there are some that love the Valhalla and HD600 combo, but I can't remember that combo being consistently recommended...unlike the Crack and HD600 which gets lots of love, or even the Vali and HD600. 

I think the opinions of others who've heard and owned Schiit products are as valid as your evaluation of your Bottlehead. 

I agree, my assessment of the bottlehead is no more valid then someone else's view of a piece of schiit.  I'm just saying that there were some pieces that were considered bright, and now people associate that sound with schiit products.  I personally doubt it is true for all their products.  but its out there.  and people looking for amps have to consider it.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #7,344 of 23,499
I have Asgard 2. It's in no way bright, but neutral (as any well-engineered amp should be). Definitely not brighter than my X-CAN V3 for sure.

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #7,345 of 23,499
I use a Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2 with my HD600s and it's nothing but amazing. I don't know why people claim they're bright, I find myself fairly sensitive to treble but I never noticed any issues

Definitely a good pair

I do want to try a tube amp but I think I've spent too much recently

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #7,346 of 23,499

wink_face.gif

i can't(0 experience and no tools) and i don't really want diy.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #7,347 of 23,499
Asgard definitely isn't bright. Valhalla can be a bit bright-ish with the wrong 'phones I suppose. With Beyers and Senns I didn't get that impression though. It seems that it's more of an issue with how the headphone in question responds to the OTL topology.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7,348 of 23,499
I have both Asgards.  While the A2 isn't a "bright" in itself, it is brighter than the A1.  I think that's why the idea that it's bright began to spread and take hold around here.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #7,349 of 23,499
That story of a difference between black and silver screens caught up with me again. After reading the most plausible explanation to date I'd like to find out for myself as good and as bad as possible and so I've opened a classified for a temporary HD-600 loan:

''Looking for one or even two preferably Western-European established member(s) with an interest to compare (my) black screen drivers to (his) silver screens.
I propose something like letting one another have the headphones next to each other for about a week before sending back.''

Ideally we'd have three headphones of which at least one has the silver screens. I've only just received my now third 600 from a trade and am in the process of trying to get all info on it's age and use from the previous owner. Guess it's a good idea to compare headphones that have had about the same use but I know this will be tough to match. Shipping will be sponsored by those who take part. If there's three headphones I propose sending (well packed) headphones only as their original boxes weigh a ton. Two headphones could be sent with their original box I guess. That's about what I have in mind right now. If someone's interested post here or PM me.

Edit: decided to sell the 600 and put the money elsewhere so this won't happen right now.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #7,350 of 23,499
  That story of a difference between black and silver screens caught up with me again. After reading the most plausible explanation to date I'd like to find out for myself as good and as bad as possible and so I've opened a classified for a temporary HD-600 loan:

''Looking for one or even two preferably Western-European established member(s) with an interest to compare (my) black screen drivers to (his) silver screens.
I propose something like letting one another have the headphones next to each other for about a week before sending back.''

Ideally we'd have three headphones of which at least one has the silver screens. I've only just received my now third 600 from a trade and am in the process of trying to get all info on it's age and use from the previous owner. Guess it's a good idea to compare headphones that have had about the same use but I know this will be tough to match. Shipping will be sponsored by those who take part. If there's three headphones I propose sending (well packed) headphones only as their original boxes weigh a ton. Two headphones could be sent with their original box I guess. That's about what I have in mind right now. If someone's interested post here or PM me.

For what it's worth, a while ago I had the chance to directly compare my very-well-run-in HD 580 with black screens against a brand-new HD 600 (with silver screens, obviously)

I genunely couldn't detect much, if any, difference between the two. (The HD 580s had HD 600 grilles on the outside of the earcups and virtually new earpads.)

(The HD 600s where a birthday present from my wife, so I kept them and sold the HD 580s. I most likely wouldn't had bought them otherwise.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back