Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #511 of 23,482
I will post the answer to that in a week or so when I get a pair of the old ones to compare. i just had two 650s side by side and the new one is a definite improvement.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #513 of 23,482
Ive never heard of a new hd650 cable. The newer version silver driver hd650s i tried had the old black cables. Even then, i prefer the stock hd600 cables to the 650 cables on the hd600. The hd650 cables add a little treble but kill a little of the top to bottom cohesiveness/coherence that the hd600 stock cables have. I think sennheiser knew what they were doing when they paired the cables with the cans here. On the 650s, the hd600 cables also make the sound a little more coherent on the hd650s but the loss of treble is not too welcome on the already slightly dark sounding hd650s.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #515 of 23,482
Maybe play with cables when you are sure not to change your dac or amp anymore. I had some equinox cables before and found them to be better at first for example then after the hd600s pads got squished due to getting older combined with changes in my source and amp, I then found the stock cables to sound better than the equinox. Go figure :)

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #516 of 23,482

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with both the old and new 600s? Is there a significant difference in sound quality?

Yes, there is a marked difference in sound quality. Search this thread for 'new silver' and 'old black silk' drivers to learn more, as we were discussing this a few pages back. Definitely worth investigating, if you want to try out the 'right' pair of HD600's.

Quote:
I will post the answer to that in a week or so when I get a pair of the old ones to compare. i just had two 650s side by side and the new one is a definite improvement.

An improvement for donunus, perhaps. He is obviously speaking from his experience and not the rest of us here. There are many, including myself, that prefer the older-version HD600 with the black silk driver covers. To me the newer version is 'etched', too forward in its highs and generally not as pleasing to the ear as what I think is the better-balanced, effortlessly enjoyable older set of cans. Of course, you will likely have to hear both side by side to decide for yourself.
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #517 of 23,482
I was talking about the 650s being better with the new drivers. Like I said, I don't have the old 600s yet for comparison to the new one. As far as keeping the sound smooth and away from being etched, I don't suggest using the hd650 cables since they give a brighter, more etched sound to the new version hd600s. Who knows like sampson_smith, I might also prefer the old hd600s to the new ones :)

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #518 of 23,482
That's the exact cable I use on my HD600.  Works like a charm.  Here's a picture of it on the HD600.  Haven't heard the stock cable as I bought them used set up like such.   Going price I've heard for that cable is around $21 so the price on eBay seems fair.

Quote:
I see. Also, I've seen that it's recommended to get the new hd650 cable for the hd600s. Is this the right cable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-SENNHEISER-Headphones-HD650-Replacement-Cable-/270789373949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0c4deffd#ht_1522wt_1270

If not, what is, and how much does it cost?

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #519 of 23,482
My apologies. I was not trying to make too much of a dig at you there, as any opinions stated here are naturally personal and rarely universal. Thanks for clarifying. I completely understand (now) where you are coming from. I also feel that the HD650's are improved in their most recent incarnation.
regular_smile%20.gif

Quote:
I was talking about the 650s being better with the new drivers. Like I said, I don't have the old 600s yet for comparison to the new one. As far as keeping the sound smooth and away from being etched, I don't suggest using the hd650 cables since they give a brighter, more etched sound to the new version hd600s. Who knows like sampson_smith, I might also prefer the old hd600s to the new ones :)

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #521 of 23,482
Its all good sampson_smith, no apologies needed :) Of course It is true that all opinions are personal. All I meant by saying that the new 650s are better than the old ones are that they just seem to be more accurate sounding with less gaps between frequencies. 

By tuesday I also get to compare the old vs new 600s. Take note that coming from some dt48es I might be biased to a seemingly faster and brighter sound. I do value coherence/cohesiveness in sound quite a bit though and also generally can't stand headphones that are too artificially etched ala grados and consumer beyers like dt880s which are also etched IMO but at higher frequencies than the grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back