Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #481 of 23,482
Dull? Eegads! Curse you, donunus!
wink_face.gif

Thanks for posting above about the silver version HD600 and why you like them more. In my opinion the more laid-back character of the older version is a plus, esp. since I find these cans rather detailed. Enough-so to be satisfied. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #482 of 23,482
I've got a pair of HD600's on the way to me, the older style...

I've owned both the older and newer HD650's and liked them both so I'm not overly concerned about the upper end. In fact, I'm very sensitive to headphones with too much treble. I just had the new Shure SRH-940's through here and the lasted two days before I sent them back. The high end was very harsh, imho.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the Sennheiser sound in general and am very much looking forward to the HD600's!

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #484 of 23,482

Quote:
Dull? Eegads! Curse you, donunus!
wink_face.gif

Thanks for posting above about the silver version HD600 and why you like them more. In my opinion the more laid-back character of the older version is a plus, esp. since I find these cans rather detailed. Enough-so to be satisfied. 

hahaha sorry about that. I just compared the old and new 650 side by side but havent heard the old 600s in a while so who knows I might be wrong and the old and new 600s might very well be identical to the new version. I will have the old version in a while though so I will definitely post a comparison to the new version here as soon as I get them.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #485 of 23,482
I have just received my HD 600s today, and have been listening to them directly from my laptop. And surprisingly, my laptop has no problem driving it to my listening volume (and it's just 56% of max volume!!). I dont have any amp to compare currently, but I guess I'm pretty fine this way till my dac/amp arrives. I find the sound is an all round upgrade from my modded HD555s, outperforms HD555s in every aspect except sound stage. I can hear so much more deep details with HD600s, they are just what others on the forum had said, 600s have very balanced tone. Overall, I'm very delighted with my purchase, and this officially makes me a HD 600 fan!

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #487 of 23,482
You'll be even more pleased when it gets aa decent amplifier on top of a good DAC

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #488 of 23,482
Quote:
I have just received my HD 600s today, and have been listening to them directly from my laptop. And surprisingly, my laptop has no problem driving it to my listening volume (and it's just 56% of max volume!!). I dont have any amp to compare currently, but I guess I'm pretty fine this way till my dac/amp arrives. I find the sound is an all round upgrade from my modded HD555s, outperforms HD555s in every aspect except sound stage. I can hear so much more deep details with HD600s, they are just what others on the forum had said, 600s have very balanced tone. Overall, I'm very delighted with my purchase, and this officially makes me a HD 600 fan!

The Nuforce HDP is a wonderful pairing with the HD 600.

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #489 of 23,482
I don't have HD600 any more but I remember differences in Cardas and stock cable; Cardas had more bass while stock cable was more open sounding, meaning it had less veil if that makes sense.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #490 of 23,482
Got my HD600s last Friday. About 30 hours pink noise burn in time, and maybe 6 hours music burn in time so far.

It sounds good, but I haven't completely gotten to that "WOW" stage/eargasm stage yet. It sounds more refined than my previous Sony MDR-V6s and Grado SR60s overall, everything seems clearer. I really like the bass in these headphones: it's defined and detailed, AND has a great thump to it. It's also a lot more musical than I expected, while still being very analytical. (I prefer analytical sound signatures, but I certainly dig this balance)

However, though, the soundstage, instrument separation and the general "airyness" of the instruments aren't what I expected yet.... but hopefully, this will clear up with more burn-in. Oh, and I'm also running it from foobar-->uDac1--->HD600, so I'm probably not doing it complete justice, based on the mediocre source/amp.

I'll give it some time... further burn-in should help, right?

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #491 of 23,482

Quote:
It's also a lot more musical than I expected, while still being very analytical. (I prefer analytical sound signatures, but I certainly dig this balance)  
However, though, the soundstage, instrument separation and the general "airyness" of the instruments aren't what I expected yet.... but hopefully, this will clear up with more burn-in. Oh, and I'm also running it from foobar-->uDac1--->HD600, so I'm probably not doing it complete justice, based on the mediocre source/amp.

I'll give it some time... further burn-in should help, right?

If analytical sound signatures and technical excellence are your things, the HD600 may not be the perfect headphone for you. They achieve good levels of detail retrieval, are reasonably fast and have a relatively expansive soundstage, but they do not excel in any of these areas. Their core qualities are musicality and tone, which enables them to be good all-rounders for any genre of music.

Burn-in and proper amplification improve their technical merits, but IMO the soul of the HD600 resides in its natural tone and balanced presentation. If you're looking for the last word in detail retrieval, airyness and seperation, you might want to check out the Sony SA5000 (or better yet, electrostats).

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #492 of 23,482
I agree with covenant x2 on everything there.... As for me, this is all the detail I need and will never trade its beautiful tone away to get more detail and an artificially huge soundstage.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #495 of 23,482
I have a Ross Martin dac/amp (not much discussion around, but they seem to be using pretty good parts) coming in soon, I'll see what it can do. Well, i hope my ears will be able to spot the improvements though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back