Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #421 of 23,499
I have done a relatively thorough, comparative study between the two set of HD600's. It was immediately obvious to these ears which headphone was which in a 'blind' study, where it was possible to place the random HD600 on ones head (both with stock cabling) and not know which was initially which (as the pads and band on both felt equivalent, comfort-wise). I preferred the sound quality of the older version by a decent margin, and continued to enjoy its more-balanced and less-etched in the high frequencies style of sound presentation. I very much wanted to like the newer of the two more, but I soon realized what was best (for me, anyhow!).

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #422 of 23,499

Quote:
I have done a relatively thorough, comparative study between the two set of HD600's. It was immediately obvious to these ears which headphone was which in a 'blind' study, where it was possible to place the random HD600 on ones head (both with stock cabling) and not know which was initially which (as the pads and band on both felt equivalent, comfort-wise). I preferred the sound quality of the older version by a decent margin, and continued to enjoy its more-balanced and less-etched in the high frequencies style of sound presentation. I very much wanted to like the newer of the two more, but I soon realized what was best (for me, anyhow!).

I'm a happy camper with what I've got too!

funny sig: Guess you just need a Phenon F101 and a PhiPod
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #425 of 23,499
AlexRoma: Glad to see that you have both a pair of DT880's and older HD600's. How do you think they compare? I have many times wondered if I actually benefitted from both (even though their sound signatures are notably different), but have continued to alternate between the two, depending on what I was listening to at the time. The DT880's do old jazz recordings and grittier tunes a bit better than the Senn's which are very good for dance trax, indie rawk and even a little bit of hippity-hop. :wink:

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #426 of 23,499

Quote:

Could you give me the details regarding the procedure of your test?  Comparing two is a start, but hardly conclusive.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #427 of 23,499

Quote:
AlexRoma: Glad to see that you have both a pair of DT880's and older HD600's. How do you think they compare? I have many times wondered if I actually benefitted from both (even though their sound signatures are notably different), but have continued to alternate between the two, depending on what I was listening to at the time. The DT880's do old jazz recordings and grittier tunes a bit better than the Senn's which are very good for dance trax, indie rawk and even a little bit of hippity-hop. :wink:

I do not own a 1500-2000$ amp to reveal HD600's eniterly, so, at this point, DT880's do all HD600 can, but better or much better (better bass extension, better treble extension, faster sounding, bigger soundstage, closer to life-like signature) , I might not be right, but it's my IMHO... 

I use HD600 for gaming/movies only after buying DT880's.  HD600 are more comfortable and less ear-fatiguish, and they have the Bass kick, HD5** series lack. This is the only reason I had not sold them yet. I prefer DT880's on preaty everything over HD600's. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #428 of 23,499
To my ears DT880 may stand out on bass and treble vs HD600... but DT880 does emphasize those frequency areas.
HD600 has a more linear frequency response so everything comes out less "fun". That's why I could say the midrange on HD600 is better than DT880
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #429 of 23,499
Quote:
Could you give me the details regarding the procedure of your test?  Comparing two is a start, but hardly conclusive.

The procedure was generally as described in my earlier post. I listened to both sets of cans randomly in a small but 'blind' study, as they both felt the same in hands and on head. With both having the stock cables, I placed them out on the surface of my bed--hey, I didn't want to scratch them up in the fray-- 'scrambled' them with eyes closed and then placed one of the two randomly on my head. In order to counter slight differences in ear cup padding, I switched pads between the two, periodically. Both sets appeared to be the same, as-new, however. Ultimately, there was no way to determine which was on my head (as there were no mirrors around and both were set to the same size with very comparable top-padding thickness). 100% of the time, during approx. 30+ tests with a wide variety of tunes that I had not listened to recently, I was able to quickly pick out which set of cans I was listening to, and which I preferred most or least. Likewise if I then blindly switched for the set of cans that was not currently in use. The older version with black silk around the driver was a better-balanced set of cans that was less-ethched in the higher frequencies and provided, with lesser quality, what one generally hears with the HifiMan series of cans (based on what I have heard with the HE-5LE and HE-500 cans). Very good listening that left me with less 'want' than the newer HD600's with silver 'metalic' driver screens. I would have honestly preferred to like the newer ones more, as is generally the trend here, but this was definitely not the case.

I do understand that to qualify my comments it would be better to test a larger number of both sets of Senn's. I have not the time, assets or interest. I am glad, however, that I had the opportunity to hear both versions of the HD600's and experience for myself that there is a glaring difference between models and obviously select the one that suits my listening tastes best. Both were well burned in at time of testing and both showed no defects physical, aesthetic or otherwise.

Cheers,

Vincent

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #430 of 23,499

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The procedure was generally as described in my earlier post. I listened to both sets of cans randomly in a small but 'blind' study, as they both felt the same in hands and on head. With both having the stock cables, I placed them out on the surface of my bed--hey, I didn't want to scratch them up in the fray-- 'scrambled' them with eyes closed and then placed one of the two randomly on my head. In order to counter slight differences in ear cup padding, I switched pads between the two, periodically. Both sets appeared to be the same, as-new, however. Ultimately, there was no way to determine which was on my head (as there were no mirrors around and both were set to the same size with very comparable top-padding thickness). 100% of the time, during approx. 30+ tests with a wide variety of tunes that I had not listened to recently, I was able to quickly pick out which set of cans I was listening to, and which I preferred most or least. Likewise if I then blindly switched for the set of cans that was not currently in use. The older version with black silk around the driver was a better-balanced set of cans that was less-ethched in the higher frequencies and provided, with lesser quality, what one generally hears with the HifiMan series of cans (based on what I have heard with the HE-5LE and HE-500 cans). Very good listening that left me with less 'want' than the newer HD600's with silver 'metalic' driver screens. I would have honestly preferred to like the newer ones more, as is generally the trend here, but this was definitely not the case...

Cheers,

Vincent

I agree with your findings... the "old version" HD580/600/650's were generally smoother than the "new version."  The new version sounds faster, with sharper attack, and greater emphasis in the upper mids and highs.  More like RS-1's or AD2000's... but... not quite as extreme. 

Some would describe these changes as resulting in greater "etch" - though, I wouldn't - I much prefer the sound of the "new version" to the "old version" - just more dramatic and exciting - as I said... more "Gradoish." 

Though, the "old version" HD580/600's sound great, and are smoother, expecially with the Cardas cable and an amp that mates with them really well (e.g. the X-CAN v3, GS Solo, etc.).  And... the "old version" may actually have a more realistic soundstage - very refined, delicate, shimmering and "holographic" at times, which I seldom hear from the "new version."

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #431 of 23,499
So is it safe to say that the old 600's are more realistic in sound production than the new 600's?

I have the new 600's and I think they're great. I'd love to try the old 600's to see which ones I prefer. For me I love my 600's because they transmit the music so accurately that I feel like I'm listening to the music live.

Quote:

I agree with your findings... the "old version" HD580/600/650's were generally smoother than the "new version."  The new version sounds faster, with sharper attack, and greater emphasis in the upper mids and highs.  More like RS-1's or AD2000's... but... not quite as extreme. 

Some would describe these changes as resulting in greater "etch" - though, I wouldn't - I much prefer the sound of the "new version" to the "old version" - just more dramatic and exciting - as I said... more "Gradoish." 

Though, the "old version" HD580/600's sound great, and are smoother, expecially with the Cardas cable and an amp that mates with them really well (e.g. the X-CAN v3, GS Solo, etc.).  And... the "old version" may actually have a more realistic soundstage - very refined, delicate, shimmering and "holographic" at times, which I seldom hear from the "new version."

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #432 of 23,499
Yeah the HD600s are amazing, but I've been curious to try the HD598 and see how well they compare to the HD600s.
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #433 of 23,499
I have the new ones and though I love them to bits - I would never say they sound natural...they sound warm and detailed but not natural from an acoustical perspective...

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #434 of 23,499

Quote:
Yeah the HD600s are amazing, but I've been curious to try the HD598 and see how well they compare to the HD600s.
confused_face_2.gif

the HD598 sound like the HD595.  I used to own the HD595...IMO no comparison.

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #435 of 23,499

Quote:
the HD598 sound like the HD595.  I used to own the HD595...IMO no comparison.

Really? I've read that the HD598 is far better than the HD595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back