Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #407 of 23,499
I have had the Senn HD600's for a little over a year now and recently added a Schiit Asgard. This combination, I can honestly say, is so enjoyable to me that I feel NO desire to upgrade either part. The natural and lively sound of the Senn HD600's combined with the effortless ability of the Schiit Asgard to drive them is just sublime. I really can't say enough good things about this combination because for not a whole lot of cash I am 100% happy with my home headphone rig. 

It's funny because I can look through the high end threads with HD800's and Stax whatnot and I don't feel a thing for that gear. I know it looks neat and might be technically better but what I have is solid, simple and performs well with every type of music I have thrown at it. I see no fault when I can flip on the amp, pick a track and just enjoy it regardless of the price of the whole set up.

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #408 of 23,499
The Asgard is a very good amp. The HD600 and HD650 both pair with it exceedingly well. A very affordable combo that is nothing to sniff at. :)

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #410 of 23,499
Picked up a used pair of HD600s today.  I'm liking it so far.  Tonal balance is obviously a priority for these cans.  Of the three entry-fi cans I've owned so far, the HD650s, the K701s and HD600s, I prefer the HD600s the most.  Even though they don't do specific technical things in specific situations as well as the others, they are the most well rounded of the three.  There aren't any glaring deficiencies.  To keep things in perspective, the HE-5LEs were a step up in every regard but for sub-$400, the HD600s are hard to beat.  

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #411 of 23,499

Quote:
Picked up a used pair of HD600s today.  I'm liking it so far.  Tonal balance is obviously a priority for these cans.  Of the three entry-fi cans I've owned so far, the HD650s, the K701s and HD600s, I prefer the HD600s the most.  Even though they don't do specific technical things in specific situations as well as the others, they are the most well rounded of the three.  There aren't any glaring deficiencies.  To keep things in perspective, the HE-5LEs were a step up in every regard but for sub-$400, the HD600s are hard to beat.  

glad you're liking them.  I'm a new owner of the HD600 as well.  The bass is there, but to get them to match my other headphones, I've had to EQ them just a bit in the sub 100Hz spectrum.  Nice thing is they don't distort and can play well at those levels. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #412 of 23,499
I almost picked up the cardas cable recently. Kind of relieved as I have a distrust of most copper cables, because many tend to bloat the bass and mids, which tends to overpower detail resolution. Not that the cardas does that per se, but I need to be in a special mood to experiment with cables.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #413 of 23,499
Quote:
glad you're liking them.  I'm a new owner of the HD600 as well.  The bass is there, but to get them to match my other headphones, I've had to EQ them just a bit in the sub 100Hz spectrum.  Nice thing is they don't distort and can play well at those levels. 

I like the balance.  
smile.gif

Quote:
I almost picked up the cardas cable recently. Kind of relieved as I have a distrust of most copper cables, because many tend to bloat the bass and mids, which tends to overpower detail resolution. Not that the cardas does that per se, but I need to be in a special mood to experiment with cables.

Pigmode, looks like you've taken the "source first" philosophy to it's extreme.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #414 of 23,499

Quote:
Pigmode, looks like you've taken the "source first" philosophy to it's extreme.

Yes, I tend to weigh source and amplification close to equally.

The Sonett was sent out to a new owner today, and I regret seeing it go as it was superior in the way it handled jazz and vocal/acoustic music. Otoh the Anedio's built-in amp does very well in those genres and surpasses it in classical, which is my main goal.

The one amp I see to upgrade the Anedio HPA (so far) is the Luxman P1/P1u, of which I'm not in a rush to purchase--yet. I think the Luxman will take the HD600 to its highest level, and open the door for the HD800.

Good on you for trying the HD600. I agree with you about its tonal qualities, and think its SQ is such that with the right synergy it can showcase the characteristics of a given system. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #415 of 23,499
Quote:

Typically, I would agree with you - give me silver every time for added resolution, clarity and detail - especially with Senns. 

But... I found the Cardas to provide that, plus warm mids and bass, and shimmering highs. 

Now - that was with the "old version" HD600's and the X-CAN v3 w Pink Floyd mods.  It did not do the same for the "old version" HD650's - they definitely needed the silver cable.

UPDATE:  And... I should add that, as I recall, the Cardas cable didn't do that for the "new version" HD580/600's.  They really don't need a cable beyond the stock "new version" HD650 cable.  Though, the RAL Cryo-silver cable helps a bit, just not a "night and day" difference.  I should also add that my "new version" HD580/600's had the same drivers as my "new version" HD650's did - and... I don't know if all "new version" HD580/600's and "new version" HD650's all have the identical drivers.  So... my observations in that respect, are applicable only to the one's I have / had.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #417 of 23,499
Quote:
Yes, I tend to weigh source and amplification close to equally.

The Sonett was sent out to a new owner today, and I regret seeing it go as it was superior in the way it handled jazz and vocal/acoustic music. Otoh the Anedio's built-in amp does very well in those genres and surpasses it in classical, which is my main goal.

The one amp I see to upgrade the Anedio HPA (so far) is the Luxman P1/P1u, of which I'm not in a rush to purchase--yet. I think the Luxman will take the HD600 to its highest level, and open the door for the HD800.

Good on you for trying the HD600. I agree with you about its tonal qualities, and think its SQ is such that with the right synergy it can showcase the characteristics of a given system. 

Interesting amplifier, the Luxman, it doesn't get much love around here.  The D1 is on my shortlist of sources, good to see a vote of confidence.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #418 of 23,499
The balance on the HD600 are amazing and definitely a keeper for me. They just can't go wrong with any music I throw at it.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #419 of 23,499
Regarding the look of old drivers vs new drivers, I think this pic should be enough on how to tell the difference.
Left new
Right old

Not my pic btw.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #420 of 23,499
It's just too bad that not one person has done an objective scientific comparison between the versions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back