Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #3,196 of 23,499
I would buy an audioGd dac amp..n a hd600 in the buysell forum...n a USB cable.
Rip all my CDs into iTunes.

May 14, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3,197 of 23,499
Audiogd Dac/Amps Like The Nfb5 Is both A Da And An Amp. It Also Has Usb Input For Your Computer, A Coax For Your Cdp And Still A Spare Optical Input.

it Also Has A Variable Or Line Output, But Unfortunately No Line Input For You To Use Another Dac With It.

May 14, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #3,198 of 23,499
thanks for the suggestion, that looks nice but it seems out of my price range... the one was $378 (nfb 5.32) and the other more expensive, which is almost the cost of the headphones themselves.
the us price on the hd600 is $400.  (i'd prefer to get a new one).
which is going to leave me around $200 for something to go along with it.

or i could maybe wait awhile longer and put together up to a maximum of $100 more but that's cutting things pretty close.

if it costs less i could instead just focus on a pc solution for now and then at a later time build up a separate thing for my cd player.
according to what i read it's not good to use the usb port as it picks up extra noise or whatever, so it sounds like you will need to use something else instead of the usb? not sure how i would connect the coaxial wires to my pc but should i look for a dac, soundcard, or amp if i'm going in that direction? or do i need to get 2, ie an amp and a dac or a soundcard and an amp? that's the main thing i gotta figure out is what exactly i'm going to need so i can start to research for what i'm going to get.

May 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #3,199 of 23,499
Quote:
thanks for the suggestion, that looks nice but it seems out of my price range... the one was $378 (nfb 5.32) and the other more expensive, which is almost the cost of the headphones themselves.
the us price on the hd600 is $400.  (i'd prefer to get a new one).
which is going to leave me around $200 for something to go along with it.

or i could maybe wait awhile longer and put together up to a maximum of $100 more but that's cutting things pretty close.

if it costs less i could instead just focus on a pc solution for now and then at a later time build up a separate thing for my cd player.
according to what i read it's not good to use the usb port as it picks up extra noise or whatever, so it sounds like you will need to use something else instead of the usb? not sure how i would connect the coaxial wires to my pc but should i look for a dac, soundcard, or amp if i'm going in that direction? or do i need to get 2, ie an amp and a dac or a soundcard and an amp? that's the main thing i gotta figure out is what exactly i'm going to need so i can start to research for what i'm going to get.

Hi,

Excuse my subjective bias on Audio-Gd because I am one of their user, and I like how it sound, how it functions etc.

Now objectively (I try), given your budget and input requirements... A Fiio E17 comes in my mind but I think you can fare better than that. Look for a deal on the HD600 (I think there's one with Razor Dog where you get $75 off), and buy a combined Dac/Amp with multiple digital inputs. AudioGd has a NFB15 and NFB11 that suits your price range actually, and also accept USB, Optical and Coax.

Trying to be scientific minded: while USB implementation might have noise etc, I think modern USB Dacs have been designed to tackle that. I think a soundcard would provide you with a coax/optical out, but I reckon a stand alone well implemented DAC/AMP is what you would want.

May 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #3,200 of 23,499
another option is to get a relatively new used hd600 n get a set of new pads.
there is an audiogd dac amp going for 235bucks right?

May 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3,206 of 23,499
HD600 remains very respectable even I have staxs. I compared the senns to grado PS500. No contest.. HD600 sounds better than PS500

May 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3,207 of 23,499
Quote:
go_quote.gif

HD600 remains very respectable even I have staxs. I compared the senns to grado PS500. No contest.. HD600 sounds better than PS500

Basically the quality/price ratio of the 600 is almost unbeatable compared to a 1000$ Grado..

May 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,210 of 23,499
Quote:
My coworker bought a set of QC3s yesterday. He came into the office today bragging about it. I ran home and got my HD600, and plugged it straight into my iP4. His jaws dropped.

i never really liked him anyway.

Haha! So damn nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back