Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #23,401 of 23,433
The small soundstage prevents me from truly enjoying them. I guess the neutral signature too, I want that powerful bass and sparkling treble. I understand why they're respected and recommended by the audiophile community, but for me, with the music I listen to with them (metal), the experience emotionally isn't that different from my Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds tbh. Great for audio production though, the main thing I'm feeling I'm getting my money's worth from with them. Currently looking for an upgrade.
I have HD600's and those Sony WF-1000XM4 as well. I also listen to some metal, as well as most other genres. Those earbuds do sound good. They still have lots of detail and clarity. I use the Headphones app and use some EQ to make them sound slightly more neutral.
I also use EQ with the HD600's to make them more neutral, upping the low bass a little and dropping that fatiguing 3khz down slightly below flat.
The way I have them both EQ'd they sound pretty similar, because over the years I've learned that's the frequency response I like.
The biggest difference between them is the HD600's natural tone. The midrange sounds very realistic, whereas the WF-1000XM4 sound slightly metallic sometimes.
I really upgraded my amp and bought a Bryston bha-1 and a balanced cable. Once up to this level, the HD600's really shine over the earbuds, there's better detail, clarity, soundstage, and the best tone available.
The sound is also bigger, even though still not very far away from your head, but no headphone is perfect no matter how expensive.
It seems absurd to spend $1000+ on the used market for a bha-1(but they start with a 20 year warranty) when the headphones are $400. But the HD600's really shine and scale up with this amp and balanced cable, and if you were to upgrade to much more expensive headphones (notice I didn't say better), you'd probably end up with this level of amp anyway.
I like this combo more than my previous RME adi-2 dac and LCD-3F's at about $2,000 more.
So I highly recommend skipping little upgrade steps, save the time and money, and be happy sooner if you can afford it.
I have a Wiim pro plus for the Tidal streaming convenience, its good dac, and for the EQ, into a BHA-1 with Blue jeans RCA cables, and an Audiophile ninja xlr cable for the headphones.
Honestly there is no headphone I'd be happy with without EQ, although these are a better starting point than all others I've heard.
EQ makes them near perfect for me.
If you plan on upgrading your system, try what I mentioned first if you can, I think you'll be surprised what you can get out of them.
And if you're still not happy with them, then you'll already have a very clean, accurate, reliable, and powerful start, to only have to try different headphones. And in a few years, and several thousands later, probably come back to the 600's.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #23,403 of 23,433
The HD600/650 have a not very wide soundstage (but they have some), if you use a good amplifier, they can give you their maximum width and distance (as much as possible) between your ears and the musical instruments. Amplifiers such as the magni 3+, Heresy and other operational amplifiers will bring the music scene much closer to your head, even if the headphones were designed with the best soundstage. Also be careful with headphones because if they are designed without a stage, even the best amplifier will not be able to create it (like the HD660).

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #23,404 of 23,433
The HD600/650 have a not very wide soundstage (but they have some), if you use a good amplifier, they can give you their maximum width and distance (as much as possible) between your ears and the musical instruments. Amplifiers such as the magni 3+, Heresy and other operational amplifiers will bring the music scene much closer to your head, even if the headphones were designed with the best soundstage. Also be careful with headphones because if they are designed without a stage, even the best amplifier will not be able to create it (like the HD660).
Your ears are different than mine. I hear plenty of “stage” through the Heretic.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #23,405 of 23,433
I would be more curious to check the soundstage of Asgard 3 and Midgard.. as a reference my V200 and HD650.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has been able to test them.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #23,406 of 23,433
Is the FiiO K7 considered a good amp? For the HD 600s or in general

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #23,407 of 23,433
Has anyone try HD600 with the old Heed CanAmp?

I use CanAmp with my K701. Should I buy new amp or I am fine with the Heed?

Thanks a lot
Your fine. Save ure $$

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #23,408 of 23,433
Looks like it'll work, if that's what you mean. Puts out 140mW into 300 Ohms single ended and 560mW into 300 Ohms balanced.

Otherwise, "good" is completely subjective.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #23,409 of 23,433
If we're just talking about soundstage and separation of musical instruments at good volume, try the Schiit asgard 3 with your FiiO K7.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #23,410 of 23,433
Kinda addicted to my modded HD600s lately. Can't even fully explain why, or what it is these are doing so right that my other cans aren't offering right now. Will just end up resorting to the cliches / repeating what others have said on here millions of times already. The idea that these are "dated" is laughable though. Also, could be my set-up, but I'm pretty darn satisfied in terms of dynamics, bass (certainly quality) and spatial properties, particularly for this price point and considering some of the criticisms these receive in those areas.

So I guess I'm saying, these are really good headphones.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #23,411 of 23,433
Kinda addicted to my modded HD600s lately. Can't even fully explain why, or what it is these are doing so right that my other cans aren't offering right now. Will just end up resorting to the cliches / repeating what others have said on here millions of times already. The idea that these are "dated" is laughable though. Also, could be my set-up, but I'm pretty darn satisfied in terms of dynamics, bass (certainly quality) and spatial properties, particularly for this price point and considering some of the criticisms these receive in those areas.

So I guess I'm saying, these are really good headphones.

What mod did you do to your 600?

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #23,412 of 23,433
What mod did you do to your 600?
So these are the black silk ones with the mass loaded modification, Dynamat and Blu Tack. Got them off a mate - one of the best purchases I've made in this hobby.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #23,413 of 23,433
So these are the black silk ones with the mass loaded modification, Dynamat and Blu Tack. Got them off a mate - one of the best purchases I've made in this hobby.

Sounds amazin. Glad you're enjoying them 😎

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #23,414 of 23,433
Kinda addicted to my modded HD600s lately. Can't even fully explain why, or what it is these are doing so right that my other cans aren't offering right now.
No measurements in the world, no amount of careful A/B testing, and no hyper-attentive critical listening can substitute for the fact that we mysteriously find ourselves gravitating toward some headphones more than others.

Works the other way around for me, too. If I realize I haven't used a piece of gear in a few months, I know something is wrong, and it needs some tweaking, EQ, or different gear/cable pairings.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #23,415 of 23,433
No measurements in the world, no amount of careful A/B testing, and no hyper-attentive critical listening can substitute for the fact that we mysteriously find ourselves gravitating toward some headphones more than others.

Works the other way around for me, too. If I realize I haven't used a piece of gear in a few months, I know something is wrong, and it needs some tweaking, EQ, or different gear/cable pairings.
Yeah, you're never always sure what headphone you're going to gravitate towards. A headphone can be good but it just doesn't grab you and sometimes an inferior headphone just causes you to listen to it more and you end up liking it more.

Sometimes leaving a headphone alone makes you realize what bothers you about it. I don't like selling off headphones anymore as I learned sometimes a headphone that doesn't jive with you on your previous system may end up one of your favorites on a different system. Sometimes something as simple as changing interconnects or the usb or optical cable or tinkering with amp settings will fix a headphone for you. I keep multiple different interconnects for this reason. After switching cables around on my system recently with some new cables, ironically my least favorite of the HD 6xx lineup is my favorite of the HD 6xx on this current setup, the HD 650. But if I swap things around it will be the HD 600 or the HD 660S2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back