Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #22,351 of 23,468
I prefer the detail and soundstage of my Presonus HD7 Superlux 681B clones.

Are 600's similar, but better, in sq?
Looking for a $500 open ear set.
If you already know you prefer your 681B clones then why not stay with them? The HD600’s do a lot of things right and very little wrong, however they are definitely for listening to music - they are not for creating a super-detailed soundstage. They have as much detail as you could reasonably want, but it is not highlighted. Nor is the soundstage gigantic, but no headphones really are when compared to a well set up 2 channel system, at least not to my ear. I personally think of the HD600s as a way to listen deliciously and intimately, at which they excel, and while I think they are fantastic, they wouldn’t be my first choice for someone whose primary interest is soundstage.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #22,352 of 23,468
I have not thought of the stock 600s as veiled. Sometimes soft - depends on the recording. The mesh substitution is ☑️. Not a window on the sound - but the sound! The cables are Norne Audio Vygarde.

Vygarde is the price to performance GOAT.

Aug 23, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #22,353 of 23,468
I've owned the HD600 before and wasn't impressed. It was flat and un-engaging running from a Modi MB 2 -> Vali 2. I simply could not understand why people raved about them.

Last week I bought a new pair at a good price. Totally different experience. The SPL Phonitor has brought it to life. I haven't had them long enough to make detailed comments, but a few initial observations:

1. The tonal balance of the HD600 is just about perfect
2. Related to the above, these are also less fatiguing than the OG Focal Clears
3. I've never been entirely happy with the way headphones reproduce Renaissance choral music. The HD600s are just right, presenting sparkling treble with no graininess.
4. The HD600s don't match the dynamic heft, imaging or detail extraction of the Focal Clears
5. That said, I think I prefer the HD600s to the Clear LOL. Why? Its superior tonal balance. I listen to music for enjoyment, not the technical evaluation of recording quality. The HD600s are the more enjoyable experience imo.

I'm a believer. The HD600s scale extremely well according to the amp. I've just ordered a pair of HD6XX, another headphone I've owned before but that have similarly underwhelmed me. Hoping that the Phonitor can work its magic on the HD6XX as well.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #22,354 of 23,468
I've owned the HD600 before and wasn't impressed. It was flat and un-engaging running from a Modi MB 2 -> Vali 2. I simply could not understand why people raved about them.

Last week I bought a new pair at a good price. Totally different experience. The SPL Phonitor has brought it to life. I haven't had them long enough to make detailed comments, but a few initial observations:

3. I've never been entirely happy with the way headphones reproduce Renaissance choral music. The HD600s are just right, presenting sparkling treble with no graininess.
4. The HD600s don't match the dynamic heft, imaging or detail extraction of the Focal Clears
5. That said, I think I prefer the HD600s to the Clear LOL. Why? Its superior tonal balance. I listen to music for enjoyment, not the technical evaluation of recording quality. The HD600s are the more enjoyable experience imo.

I'm a believer. The HD600s scale extremely well according to the amp. I've just ordered a pair of HD6XX, another headphone I've owned before but that have similarly underwhelmed me. Hoping that the Phonitor can work its magic on the HD6XX as well.
Thanks for impressions!
Try it also with tube amp and it will impress you much more🤘💣🎧

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #22,355 of 23,468
Thanks @kibot

Not all tube amps are created equal. I didn't like the HD600 from the Vali and I didn't love the HD650 from the Bottlehead Crack. If tube nervosa weren't a thing I'd probably have spent $3k plus on something special like an Eddie Current amp, but the tube gods' demands are many and the pit of tube despair is deep (for me). Actually, I spent $3k on a GlennOTL with more trimmings than a thanksgiving dinner, but backed out at the last minute.

I'm sure you're right, but I'm very happy with my Phonitor.

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #22,356 of 23,468

I have been touting the importance of amplification (especially for HD600s) forever. Now you’ve experienced it for yourself. I also agree with your position on tubes - I did the all-tube analog thing for 40 years, and indeed the tube gods are nothing if not fickle. Anyway, otl tube amps are great, but they are not the only way to get good results out of 300 ohm Sennheisers - you just need an amp with a good stiff power supply which will not waver when facing a difficult and ever-dynamic resistance curve. I would think your SPL is an excellent choice.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #22,357 of 23,468

I have to agree with this. The Phonitor is a surprisingly good match for 300 ohm Sennheisers, not just the HD 600s but it warmed up my HD 800s (not S!) to the point I no longer feel the need for EQ. And, the Matrix makes a real difference with the HD 800s unlike other cans I tried it with.

Sadly, my Phonitor 2 has a bad left channel that started to fail a couple of months after I bought it new. I have to return it for service but I haven't had time.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #22,358 of 23,468
Anyway, otl tube amps are great, but they are not the only way to get good results out of 300 ohm Sennheisers - you just need an amp with a good stiff power supply which will not waver when facing a difficult and ever-dynamic resistance curve.
Agree. I use an old (by today’s standards) Burson HA-160 & it’s a wonderful combination w/ my HD600 & HD650, the only two headphones I now own.

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #22,360 of 23,468
Whether the HD600 / HD650 / HD6XX - the Custom Cans UK CNC-backweight, driver side foam removal, earside foam removal, earside fine mesh replacement will remove veiling:06D57F7A-B355-4F2E-8A47-9E59F34356BA.jpeg

One thing to note is the weighted ring obviously adds weight.

Now why this is something to consider is... the 4 pad headband becomes slightly more annoying (if new or not fully broken in). They seem less bothersome in stock form since its super light. The copper ring or coated rings are not super heavy but defo noticeable. Maybe a hundo grams moe.

IMO, the 650 headband is more comfy with the added weight.

It might be me, but this is my experience XD

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #22,361 of 23,468
One thing to note is the weighted ring obviously adds weight.

Now why this is something to consider is... the 4 pad headband becomes slightly more annoying (if new or not fully broken in). They seem less bothersome in stock form since its super light. The copper ring or coated rings are not super heavy but defo noticeable. Maybe a hundo grams moe.

IMO, the 650 headband is more comfy with the added weight.

It might be me, but this is my experience XD
While I don’t agree about the weight of headphones being a serious issue in general (except, of course, for the injured or infirm), as I have ranted about on the LCD-X thread (to much agreement, and some disagreement), I agree that the Sennheiser backweights are noticeable (though not bothersome, to me), but only because the Senns are so light to begin with. Even with the weights they feel like half a pair of Audeze. Coincidentally, I have the 650 style head cushion on my backweighted 600s, because I prefer it - not because of the weights. My 580s have a recently replaced 4 cushion headband, so they have to wait for their 650 style headband.

We’re just jammin’ - that’s all…

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #22,362 of 23,468
Forgot to ask this a while back, what headband position do y'all like (like near the front, middle, or near back of head)?

Sep 1, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #22,363 of 23,468
I don't notice any difference in sound based on position, so I try to adjust mine to minimize death-clamp on my jaws :frowning2:

It seems due to the shape of the cups and pads changing the position on your head doesn't move the driver closer or further from your ears, unlike cans with angled pads.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #22,364 of 23,468
I don't notice any difference in sound based on position, so I try to adjust mine to minimize death-clamp on my jaws :frowning2:

It seems due to the shape of the cups and pads changing the position on your head doesn't move the driver closer or further from your ears, unlike cans with angled pads.
I agree - I just wear them more or less in the middle but only because that’s how I’m comfortable. No conscious sonic considerations given to head placement on these.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #22,365 of 23,468
The HD600 (modified with UK Custom Cans CNC backweight) paired with Woo Audio WA6 (Brimar 12AT7 KB/FB) is pure :musical_note:🎶:musical_note:

IMG_1026.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back