Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #21,601 of 23,456
My understanding was always that the 58X was an attempt to make 80% (or so) of the HD600 experience accessible to DAP and dongle users, who wouldn’t be able to drive the HD600 properly without a dedicated amp…

…Nevertheless, any can with Z>100 Ohm should work fine with a properly-designed OTL valve amp.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #21,602 of 23,456
My understanding was always that the 58X was an attempt to make 80% (or so) of the HD600 experience accessible to DAP and dongle users, who wouldn’t be able to drive the HD600 properly without a dedicated amp…

…Nevertheless, any can with Z>100 Ohm should work fine with a properly-designed OTL valve amp.
The 58x is fun and bouncy and very enjoyable (my son owns one and it sounds great plugged into his PS Audio Sprout), but it could never be confused with the neutral, detailed presentation of the HD600, nor does it scale up with better amplification the way the 300 ohm sennheisers do (i.e., they’re not in the same league plugged into my class A Burson Soloist). The latter is also a common complaint I’ve heard about the 660S, although I have no personal experience with the 660S (i.e., I’ve heard/read that it’s a great, fun, satisfying listen, but won’t necessarily help you get the most out of higher end ancillaries and amplification). Anyway, I have nothing against anyone’s personal preference - after 45+ years in the hobby I’ve learned to be a strict subjectivist in all things audio - but it is my understanding that the 150 ohm 58X uses a scaled down version of the 660S driver, which is itself based on a retuned HD700 driver and is completely different from the 300 ohm 580/600/650/6xx driver. YMMV, just my $.02, IMHO, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #21,603 of 23,456
Hmm..it’s been a while and I always find velour more comfy than leather…but I do remember there being a sort of break in period with the headphone, where it went from being somewhat uncomfortable due to the pressure from the pads..to being very very comfortable.

Edith: also it dawns on me that someone, I once put on ignore because he was incredibly rude and kept talking about cables, tried to pull a fast on me..which is why people are talking about the HD58X. Seems I made the right choice. He still acts like a child.
Well I own both and they are wonderful headphones tuned for different tastebuds. I do however prefer the 600 if push comes to shove.
Live by the measurements, die by them. Otherwise you simply don’t believe in what you’re saying, and you’re just spouting contrary nonsense against your beliefs.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #21,605 of 23,456
Guys,Talking about HD600,Do you think Lake People G100 it’s a good match?
In The Price range 300-400 euro, What do You recommend as Solid State Amplifier for HD600?
Thanks
Like I mentioned to you in pm, Lake People/Violectric amps are often used together with high impedance headphones. I’ve auditioned quite a few Sennheisers together with Lake People/Violectric gear at various shops, booths and meets.
The cool thing about the amps themselves are manyfold, fx that you get power akin to that of a solid state combined with a tube amp. Most solid state amps are at their most powerful at around 16-32 ohm and then they lose steam as you get up in the higher ohms. With Lake People/Violectric you often get more than a watt in 32 ohm…double that in 100 ohm…and around 300 ohm where Sennie openbacks often frolick, you get over a watt of juice which in many cases trumps OTL amps and balanced designs. You get all of that power plus German engineering at it’s finest. They’re built to last and feel it.
They don’t look as sleek and futuristic as some of the more expensive and flavourful designs out there…but I don’t think any of those will last as long as fx a humble G100:)

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #21,606 of 23,456
Aug 24, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #21,607 of 23,456
Really happy with my 600's. I never bought these back in the day because of all the hype around the 650s and then the 6XX. I'm kind of glad I paid full price because I think they're fully worth it. I didn't realize how much more open these sound compared to the 650s. The more open treble really exposes more microdetails. The slightly thin bass that people complain about with these can be offset with some good tubes (I find it a really good pairing with my BHC dialed in for dynamics). The mids aren't as forward as the 650s but are very similar. These remind me the most of the Auteurs with less soundstage and the better subbass. For the price that's an awesome feat! Very happy with these.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #21,608 of 23,456
Aug 24, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #21,609 of 23,456
Hendrix? On 600's which I adore it's classical, acoustic and well recorded jazz. My he-500 and he-6se well outperform the 600 on hendrix, who, miles, little feat, REM, DEAD can dance, etc.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #21,610 of 23,456
Really happy with my 600's. I never bought these back in the day because of all the hype around the 650s and then the 6XX. I'm kind of glad I paid full price because I think they're fully worth it. I didn't realize how much more open these sound compared to the 650s. The more open treble really exposes more microdetails. The slightly thin bass that people complain about with these can be offset with some good tubes (I find it a really good pairing with my BHC dialed in for dynamics). The mids aren't as forward as the 650s but are very similar. These remind me the most of the Auteurs with less soundstage and the better subbass. For the price that's an awesome feat! Very happy with these.
The HD600 goes back to 1997 & consider the fact that when Tyll Hertsens of Innerfidelity retired in 2018, the HD600 was still part of his headphones’ Wall of Fame. I bought my first Hd600 in 2003 and have never been without one since then. Regardless of price, this headphone is one of the very best.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #21,611 of 23,456
The HD600 goes back to 1997 & consider the fact that when Tyll Hertsens of Innerfidelity retired in 2018, the HD600 was still part of his headphones’ Wall of Fame. I bought my first Hd600 in 2003 and have never been without one since then. Regardless of price, this headphone is one of the very best.
If listening to music is your aim, HD600 is your headphone. If adventures in sound is your aim, [ x..x..x ] are your headphones…

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #21,612 of 23,456
~ It has been stated many times in this forum that the match between the Sennheiser HD-600 and an OTL tube headphone amplifier is one made in heaven. For good reasons, the BHC (w/speedball) gets many thumbs up as the hpa for HD-600.
~ For those looking for an OTL tube hpa who do not want to build (or to have built), an excellent and economical choice for the HD-600 is the Schiit Audio Valhalla II ($349 + taxes etc).
~ With special selection of the power (6N6P) and driver (6922 / 6DJ8 / 7308) tubes, sheer musical heaven is there for the basking…and for not much of an outlay!
1C213C14-574A-4FC5-9A37-D9F59A237D16.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #21,614 of 23,456
Like every can that isn't SoTA the 600 has strong points and lesser ones. It's very much better overall on OTL tubes than SS. On SS the bass starts dropping at 85 Hz, and by 35 Hz its down relative to 100 Hz by 10 db. That certainly hurts it on blues and rock. With OTL it's still fairly strong at 35 Hz (down 3 db if memory serves).

No matter what amp, the bass under 150 Hz lacks impact and dynamics. It's crushed by something like the two old HE-6's. It's even obviously topped by a HE-500. Modern? Sundara has it beat (low only), LCD-2 (poor overall w/o EQ but bass is thunderous, E2 (kills the 600 top to bottom but is expensive), Clear has better bass.

I have 4 cans these days that I use. HE-500, HE-6se v1 - both easily top the 600. The HEX v2 (bass not great but more transparent and far better stage), and of course the 600 on my BHC w/ speedball, not as good on my Ragnerock 1.

Not trying to say - making a definitive statement in that regards. I have at least a dozen posts in this thread extolling the 600, but its a loser in the bass to way too many cans not to take notice of it.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #21,615 of 23,456
Like every can that isn't SoTA the 600 has strong points and lesser ones. It's very much better overall on OTL tubes than SS. On SS the bass starts dropping at 85 Hz, and by 35 Hz its down relative to 100 Hz by 10 db. That certainly hurts it on blues and rock. With OTL it's still fairly strong at 35 Hz (down 3 db if memory serves).

No matter what amp, the bass under 150 Hz lacks impact and dynamics. It's crushed by something like the two old HE-6's. It's even obviously topped by a HE-500. Modern? Sundara has it beat (low only), LCD-2 (poor overall w/o EQ but bass is thunderous, E2 (kills the 600 top to bottom but is expensive), Clear has better bass.

I have 4 cans these days that I use. HE-500, HE-6se v1 - both easily top the 600. The HEX v2 (bass not great but more transparent and far better stage), and of course the 600 on my BHC w/ speedball, not as good on my Ragnerock 1.

Not trying to say - making a definitive statement in that regards. I have at least a dozen posts in this thread extolling the 600, but its a loser in the bass to way too many cans not to take notice of it.
The problem with H600 Is in the Low End,right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back