Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #21,571 of 23,425
You will find it to be a very well spent $53. What hp cable will you use? The backweight modded HD-600 will definitely scale up to a cable upgrade.
I use a custom 15’ cable made from mogami 2534 wire with furutech connectors on both ends. I’m quite happy with it.

Aug 9, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #21,572 of 23,425
Another musically enthralling matchup involving the Sennheiser HD-600 - which really ‘scales up’ not only to amplification but to ‘balanced’ vs ‘single-ended’…
F043806C-06C4-4B59-ADAC-D0003381EAFB.jpeg

Aug 20, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #21,574 of 23,425
Sorry Guys If I post here,maybe It's the Wrong section I dunno.
I listen almost exclusively to 70's Psychedelic Blues-rock music focused on overdiven electric guitar tone (Cream/Jimi Hendrix Expericence/Deep Purple/Rory Gallagher ecc)
At the moment, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD518, combined with a cheap ALL in One DAC+AMPLI (Fx-Audio X6MKII).
The sound of my HD518 , which I would call "neutral", has an emphasis of the order of 4/5 db on frequencies 200/250 (It's too much for my taste)
I'm very into Electric Guitar records, so The frequencies that are important to define the presence of the instrument are From 2500 to 4000 k
My question Is:HD600 Is known for His midrange,but is it suitable to fully enjoy the sound of a Fuzzy Hendrix solo or The saturated tone of Neck Pickup Blackmore Fender Stratocaster?
Thanks to all of You

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #21,575 of 23,425
I’m going to go out on a limb here but I’m almost certain that you will love the 600.
If you already own the HD518 yet want a more linear presentation…well there is no better route than the classic HD600.
…and yes it will portray Hendrix guitar with all it’s marvelous interstellaresque marmalade tone, right down to the fuzz and buzz. The 600 is one of the most neutral headphones around aka it sounds natural..yet at the same time very detailed, though not because of a boost in the upper frequencies..nah merely because it is as smooth as it is. Bumps, troughs, valleys and peaks all have a tendency to mask musical information right next to it. The easiest way to understand this is if you have ever listened to a headphone with a linear bass response vs one with a bump in the midbass. The latter will sound more ‘meaty’ whereas the linear response will sound way more detailed whilst being able to play subbass convincingly. Folks who’ve ever tried the Atticus and Eikon probably know what I’m talking about. Well it’s the same thing all across the frequencies…which is why the 600 can play ball with headphones that cost 10-20 times as much; you hear everything…but not in a forced and unnatural way. It always sounds ‘right’ for lack of a better word.
Truth be told most folks I know that listen to old school rock also tend to have an affinity for the HD600…or perhaps the HD650 if they’re in need of something a smidgen warmer.
Long story short? I think you will love this coconut. I certainly love Jimi over mine. As a matter of fact, I’m listening to Pali Gap as I’m writing this.
Goosebumps City for sure.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #21,576 of 23,425
I’m going to go out on a limb here but I’m almost certain that you will love the 600.
If you already own the HD518 yet want a more linear presentation…well there is no better route than the classic HD600.
…and yes it will portray Hendrix guitar with all it’s marvelous interstellaresque marmalade tone, right down to the fuzz and buzz. The 600 is one of the most neutral headphones around aka it sounds natural..yet at the same time very detailed, though not because of a boost in the upper frequencies..nah merely because it is as smooth as it is. Bumps, troughs, valleys and peaks all have a tendency to mask musical information right next to it. The easiest way to understand this is if you have ever listened to a headphone with a linear bass response vs one with a bump in the midbass. The latter will sound more ‘meaty’ whereas the linear response will sound way more detailed whilst being able to play subbass convincingly. Folks who’ve ever tried the Atticus and Eikon probably know what I’m talking about. Well it’s the same thing all across the frequencies…which is why the 600 can play ball with headphones that cost 10-20 times as much; you hear everything…but not in a forced and unnatural way. It always sounds ‘right’ for lack of a better word.
Truth be told most folks I know that listen to old school rock also tend to have an affinity for the HD600…or perhaps the HD650 if they’re in need of something a smidgen warmer.
Long story short? I think you will love this coconut. I certainly love Jimi over mine. As a matter of fact, I’m listening to Pali Gap as I’m writing this.
I Basically listen almost exclusively Flac/WAV redbook audio (16/44) or Vinyl Ripping (16/44 or 24/96).
I have to change My setup If I decide to upgrade My HD518 with HD600.
a New DAC and a New Ampli for Headphone.
Hybrid Tube Amp like Little Dot II Who knows..I'm intrigued by Tube Amp or Hybrid..My DAC Is cheap and Is an All in One FX-Audio X6 MKII..a
What About you setup?What source do you Use?

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #21,577 of 23,425
I have my trusty Rotel cd player alongside a Lake People headphone amp. Sounds wonderful…and indistinguishable from a Chord Dave and a Wells Milo combo in a blind setting.
Put another way: I don’t think you need to upgrade your set-up…unless it’s faulty of course:)

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #21,578 of 23,425
I have my trusty Rotel cd player alongside a Lake People headphone amp. Sounds wonderful…and indistinguishable from a Chord Dave and a Wells Milo combo in a blind setting.
Put another way: I don’t think you need to upgrade your set-up…unless it’s faulty of course:)
If I Decide to Buy HD600, I Guess My DAC+Amp FX-Audio X6 MKII wouldn't allow me to Get All the full potential from the headphone.
My Only firm point is My FLAC library.
If HD600 Will be My new pair of Headphone ,then I Will have to start thinking About a new DAC (balanced XLR or not) and a dedicated Ampli (If SS/OTL or Hybrid)
The source at 80% Will be an Intel Nuc,so No turntable ,no Cd player...Anyway now I have to decide for The best combo for HD600

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #21,579 of 23,425
I know that you love the 600s and always compare them with pricier cans. In your head-fi journey, have you tried any closed back headphones that you find similar to the 600s?

I remember the forum member Dems (he left the forum a few months ago) that love the Sony Z1R and prefer to the Abyss 1266 and the Meze Empyrean...

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #21,580 of 23,425
It’s difficult finding something with a similar linear presentation in a closedback…and I think most peeps often end up a little disappointed, when they learn that the form factor plays a big part. One of the main reasons why the 600 is as smooth and linear as it is, is the somewhat smallish cups alongside the drivers being positioned close to one’s ears.
So it’s probably not as strange that finding a closedback with a similar voicing most often leads one to studio headphones like the HD280, K371 and M50X. The only headphones with larger cups and bigger presentations I’ve heard that come close to neutral are the first generation Æon Flow C as well as the DT150 with DT100 pads.
If you EQ you can also get fairly close with an Elegia or Stellia👍

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #21,581 of 23,425
Well i’ve come to the final conclusion that 660s just can’t hang with the 600. The latter just beats it on everything except imaging, and it’s pretty good in that department too.

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #21,582 of 23,425
Well i’ve come to the final conclusion that 660s just can’t hang with the 600. The latter just beats it on everything except imaging, and it’s pretty good in that department too.
“…..we hold these truths to be self-evident….”

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #21,583 of 23,425
It’s difficult finding something with a similar linear presentation in a closedback…and I think most peeps often end up a little disappointed, when they learn that the form factor plays a big part. One of the main reasons why the 600 is as smooth and linear as it is, is the somewhat smallish cups alongside the drivers being positioned close to one’s ears.
So it’s probably not as strange that finding a closedback with a similar voicing most often leads one to studio headphones like the HD280, K371 and M50X. The only headphones with larger cups and bigger presentations I’ve heard that come close to neutral are the first generation Æon Flow C as well as the DT150 with DT100 pads.
If you EQ you can also get fairly close with an Elegia or Stellia👍
I know that you love the 600s and always compare them with pricier cans. In your head-fi journey, have you tried any closed back headphones that you find similar to the 600s?

I remember the forum member Dems (he left the forum a few months ago) that love the Sony Z1R and prefer to the Abyss 1266 and the Meze Empyrean...
You might like the Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 Ohm version!). Like the HD600, they take some voltage to drive properly, though…

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #21,584 of 23,425
I really like the DT250 but could never recommend a headphone that comes with an imbalance straight from the factory. I know you can fix this yourself by sealing the cable connection properly..but yeah..I’ve always thought that Beyerdynamic should do that themselves before they sell them.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #21,585 of 23,425
Hi Guys I need Your Help
After a while I will move to a new apartment and I want to set up a new a new station for listening to music.
After thinking about it I came to the conclusion that what I need is basically a DAP
My Hypotetic Chain would be this:

DAP (With Flac transferred from HD of my Pc via USB)>External DAC (Via Spdif Coaxial)>Headphone Ampli (Via RCA RAMM cable)>HD600

I'm ready to invest money in order to have a quality system...

What DAP do you recommend me?No remote control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back