Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #20,131 of 23,425
Is buying a used BHC a safe proposition for an electronics novice given that they are a DIY-build? On one hand you save yourself the hassle of building it yourself but on the other hand you're trusting that the seller followed the build instructions safely/correctly. Can these amps be bought new already assembled or are they only available in kit form?
Last time I noticed there is a guy who builds all the DIY BH amps for a fee. Used is a risk on these

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #20,132 of 23,425
Last time I noticed there is a guy who builds all the DIY BH amps for a fee. Used is a risk on these
I finished up somebody else's Crack, and learn a bit about how important quality soldering is. If some joints arn't soldered well or has cold solder, you can actually get lower volume and cause odd sound issues. So, when it comes to hand-built tube amps, quality build is important.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #20,133 of 23,425
I finished up somebody else's Crack, and learn a bit about how important quality soldering is. If some joints arn't soldered well or has cold solder, you can actually get lower volume and cause odd sound issues. So, when it comes to hand-built tube amps, quality build is important.
Yes or the converse of cold solder joints which is toasted components. Mismatched parts yada yada. When I get one which is likely from the ground up with matched pairs of everything

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #20,134 of 23,425
I heard the HDV820 and didn't care for it. BH Crack should be the Sennheiser amp IMO.

You would expect 120 ohm OI and tubes would sound sluggish and loose bass. Nope, it's went way beyond my expectations. It's one of those amps people have to experience if has a 650 or 600. It will change your perception of tube amps.

I've owned some big and expensive tubed speaker amps - but they had problems such as mega retubing costs, some bass issues, etc.

I can say that the BH Crack can't drive low impedance planar cans.. but, w the HD-600 its quite amazing from 30-10 kHz. It's a little reticent on the top treble octave (partially due to the HD-600), and the soundstage isn't quite regular shaped. But I have a very nice Ragnarok 1, and have had a Bryston here as well, and great as they are - not great on the 600 compared to the BH Crack.

Jan 13, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #20,135 of 23,425
I should have my "new to me" HD600's tomorrow or Wedneday. I will start off by feeding them into my SMSL SP200 and move on from there. Weird choice for me as I used to own the HD6XX's and did not care for them. However I had a trade option pop up and I thought "Why not?" I sold my HD6XX's about two years ago, so it will be interesting to see how these sound to me.

Shane D

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #20,138 of 23,425
I can say that the BH Crack can't drive low impedance planar cans.. but, w the HD-600 its quite amazing from 30-10 kHz. It's a little reticent on the top treble octave (partially due to the HD-600), and the soundstage isn't quite regular shaped. But I have a very nice Ragnarok 1, and have had a Bryston here as well, and great as they are - not great on the 600 compared to the BH Crack.

That's tempered my enthusiasm somewhat of the BHC as my next potential purchase, as I do enjoy a bit of top-octave "air". Is this something that can be compensated for with EQ?

Do you have the Speedball upgrade? What improvements does it bring?

Also I was wondering if you have any experience with the Schiit Valhalla and how you found it compared with the BHC?

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #20,139 of 23,425

That's tempered my enthusiasm somewhat of the BHC as my next potential purchase, as I do enjoy a bit of top-octave "air". Is this something that can be compensated for with EQ?

Also I was wondering if you have any experience with the Schiit Valhalla and how you found it compared with the BHC?

It's not my amp, it does have speedball. Don't get too concerned - the can itself fades over 10k, and I'm sure that's most of it. Plus I was casting around for issues since its so perfect at that price, like many tubes it has a nice shimmer/decay in the highs. Is it the best? No I had a Jadis amp that crushed it. The DA88, check out the price difference - about 20 to 1.

Never heard the Valhala, although I know to me the HD-600 w/ the BHC crushes the Ragnarok 1 and the Bryston.

Bear in mind SilverEars and I arrive at the same conclusion on the HD-600 & BHC w/ speedball. So do other users if you dig back on the threads for both - still listen for yourself if possible.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #20,140 of 23,425

While not directed at me I have a BH Crack, slight mods (new caps and volume pot) + a bunch of tubes and have owned a Valhalla2, Vali2, and a few other amps and to me the BH Crack with properly selected tubes is hard to beat for the HD600 and HD650. I installed the speedball after a few months of using my BH Crack but removed it after a month since to me it sounded better without it for my HD800, HD700 and HD650. I've sold my HD600 due to a peak in the 3.5-5khz range that bothered me at times but that's just me. I've found that I much prefer my Nhoord V2 build over the HD600 since it lacks the peak at 3.5-5khz (but more extended in the highs) and sounds better to me from almost any device including my phone and straight out of a computer headphone jack.

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #20,141 of 23,425

You can ask on the BH thread, but unless you have two amps, one with speedball and one without, you can't know. I tried listening to it before and after, but there was so much time inbetween to put the speedball together that I really don't have faith in my memory. I would think there will be high placebo with the speedball board, makibg people think sound improved.

I thought the imaging and speed improved, and the manual does say imaging improves. It is called 'speedball' and the word 'speed' can influence my judgement.

I wouldn't say it crushes BHA-1. BHA-1 has more of a transparency in comparison. BHC just have a way of presenting that makes it totally worthwhile of a listen. It's quite engaging with 650 or 600.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #20,143 of 23,425
Interesting. Do let us know how it went once you have a proper listen.

I got these this morning. I let them warm to room temperature and then slipped them on. Turns out I am the fourth owner. Third owner only used them for an hour and then put them up for sale. He is a Shure fan so I traded him my Shure1540's.

I then went deep diving with Dave Matthews Band. Turns out I own 57 DMB songs. I love the Dave sound! I also like the HD600 sound. They are a bit bass light (especially after 11 straight days of Fostex TH-610's!).

I do like the clarity. Vocals and guitars are very clean and separate. And the drums are right there when you listen for them. So far a very nice sound and they have been burned in for years.

My chain is DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) to amp (SMSL SP200) to headphones.

I also got a very cool and fun package today: The Nobsound Little Bear audio switcher. Does 4 into 1 or 1 into 4. I will comparing headphone amps and headphones. While I already have a pretty good idea, it will be interesting to try one amp with several HP's and several amps with one HP.
Not very scientific, but it will be fun. :L3000:

Shane D

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #20,144 of 23,425
I got these this morning. I let them warm to room temperature and then slipped them on. Turns out I am the fourth owner. Third owner only used them for an hour and then put them up for sale. He is a Shure fan so I traded him my Shure1540's.

I then went deep diving with Dave Matthews Band. Turns out I own 57 DMB songs. I love the Dave sound! I also like the HD600 sound. They are a bit bass light (especially after 11 straight days of Fostex TH-610's!).

I do like the clarity. Vocals and guitars are very clean and separate. And the drums are right there when you listen for them. So far a very nice sound and they have been burned in for years.

My chain is DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) to amp (SMSL SP200) to headphones.

I also got a very cool and fun package today: The Nobsound Little Bear audio switcher. Does 4 into 1 or 1 into 4. I will comparing headphone amps and headphones. While I already have a pretty good idea, it will be interesting to try one amp with several HP's and several amps with one HP.
Not very scientific, but it will be fun. :L3000:

Shane D
Fun is what we're in this hobby is for and when that's the case, sometimes you don't feel all that bad about chucking science out the window for a couple hours :D

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #20,145 of 23,425
Fun is what we're in this hobby is for and when that's the case, sometimes you don't feel all that bad about chucking science out the window for a couple hours :D

I am far from an audiophile, but do like comparing toys. I always try to volume match and be completely fair. It usually dictates whether I keep a product or move it on, so I try to give it the best chance to succeed. It will be accurate to me, on my terms.

I just like to think of myself as the world's leading expert on what Shane D likes in audio!:ksc75smile:
And very little else.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back