1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
First

Back
1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343
1345 1346
Next

Last
  1. Midgetguy
    I sure hope you're the leading expert on what Shane D likes in audio :D

2. jaxz
    Very happy with this setup

IMG_20200114_185717461.jpg

3. SilverEars
    Doesn't Project Ember boost the bass quite a bit? I wonder how well it works for HD600 since there's much needed bass boost on the 600.

blackdragon87 likes this.
  4. jaxz
    I don't think ember boost the bass. I hear no difference in bass between ember, ef5 or burson play. Maybe some tubes are more bass oriented.

5. CaptainFantastic
    On what type of music do you feel like there is a significant lack of bass on the HD-600? I often come to the HD-600 from the Audeze MX4 which has significant planar bass impact, and I still don't find the 600's bass disappointing with anything I listen to (wide range except jazz/rap). In fact, I sometimes prefer it for a relaxed listening session.

6. SilverEars
    That is a bit odd to me given you are coming from a Audeze . Audeze headphones are well known for their bass quality and quantity. A lot of Audeze headphones have strong bass quantity, but perhaps not MX4?

It is well known that Sennheisers have rolled-off bass, and 600 has the least bass quantity out of the HD6-- series. Compared to the siblings, 600 is tilted cooler as well, hence the difference in tonal response bass quantity felt. 650 is warmer with more bass, but not by a significant amount still.

The bass response isn't much noticible on certain genre over others. Hiphop, electronic, and pop are the genres that utilizes bass quantity. Jazz and classical, not so much. For Jazz, I do find difference in how double bass sounds depending on bass level though. Like for example, I find double bass quite enhanced with my Fostex TH-X00 EB. So, double bass sounds quite rich and thick that I enjoy it a lot more out of the Fostex.

Also, if one come from a bassy headphone, it should be easier to notice the lower level bass so I find what you say odd.

The other day when I tried out an iem by Empire Ears called Valkyrie with strong sub bass and impact, other headphones seemed almost bass light after my ears gotten used to Valkyrie. I had similar experiences with Campfire Audio Cascades which has rediculous amount of bass slam (hardest hitting bass I've ever heard). It's funny how our perception is relative.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  7. mobbaddict
    For me electronica is the only genre where I would need the extra bit of deep bass with the HD600. The bass roll off makes it sound a bit dry on many tracks, especially with house or trance. But it's still very enjoyable thanks to the great mid-range.
    On the other hand hip-hop actually sounds great most of the time, especially old school stuff. Just throw in a nice beat by Dre or The alchemist and you're in for treat. Modern trap music would be more tricky though.

By the way these cans sound freaking phenomenal with any well recorded rock music. The combination of tonal accuracy and dynamics is outstanding. It feels like being in the studio.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    BobG55 likes this.
  8. BobG55
    EQ the bass.

mobbaddict likes this.
  9. Midgetguy
    Most of the time, the HD600 is fine for me and I do also have electronic and hip-hop in my library. There are some tracks which do sound better when you have a bit more oomph and if I'm really wanting to full effect out of them, then I'll pop on TH-X00s. Sometimes though, it's just better to run the HD600 because having its strengths for the song overshadows what its weakness are. The song below has a great baseline and it has elements of DnB, but the core is also very jazzy and so while I'd like to have a bit more bass extension on it, it simply sounds better on the HD600 despite its drawbacks on bass as opposed to on the TH-X00 where its baseline can really shine.

DavidA and mobbaddict like this.
  10. mobbaddict
    Can't agree any more. This is the same for hip-hop, many people forget that a good beat can actually made of real instruments, whether they're sampled or not (we don't care), and that the bass line is secondary in old-school hip-hop.

11. SilverEars
    You will notice bass differences from track like these. Top one is modern hiphop with low-end that will sound much better with good bass extension, and the bottom one is typical electronic with bass impact (which are tracks enhanced by bass).

mobbaddict likes this.
  12. Majestyk
    The HD600's have more bass than my HE500's on my vintage receiver. :)

13. Ichos
    Sure because likely the output impedance is 300+ ohms!!!

14. Majestyk
    Exactly! (Actually, it's lower than that but close)

15. mobbaddict
    Yeah I noticed the lack of deep bass on tracks like these, and my Quad planar does much better then, but most of the time it's still enjoyable in the HD600. Worst case scenario was this song for me, where the whole deep bass line sounds very tiny on the Senny.

First

Back
1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343
1345 1346
Next

Last