Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #19,486 of 23,456
i just bought a hd600 ,any good tube amp recommend for it?
like @BrokeSkoolBoi noted do you have a set budget? or is sky the limit?

You might also want to fill in your profile so we can make a recommendation based on your preferences, what gear you have or have had, genre of choice, etc

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #19,489 of 23,456
The Schitt Valhalla 2 will drive them fine. For SS I use a Neve RNHP.

Can you describe the Neve's personality with the 600s? I wasn't a long time fan of my original Valhalla (though I'm "twice in" on Yggy) and have hugely preferred the timbre and touch of my WA6+ for about 4 years now. I hear the Neve is "better than it should be", and keep wondering about it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #19,491 of 23,456
Can you describe the Neve's personality with the 600s? I wasn't a long time fan of my original Valhalla (though I'm "twice in" on Yggy) and have hugely preferred the timbre and touch of my WA6+ for about 4 years now. I hear the Neve is "better than it should be", and keep wondering about it.

Thanks!

In a word - detailed. Great recordings sound great, poor recordings sound like poor recordings but listenable. You hear every error, every compression, every breath, etc., etc. It is very neutral and adds very little "color" to the sound. It's a different creature than the Valhalla 2, that's for sure. I enjoy both of them for what they are.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #19,492 of 23,456
I only have a change to listened to wa3 and wa6se, wa3 sound good but wa6se better, any amp better than this two with around usd 1xxx?
If you liked the WA3 and WA6-SE then it seems like you want a slightly warmer sounding amp to pair with your HD600. I'd suggest the Elise as an amp to consider but just remember that tube rolling can get pricy quickly.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #19,495 of 23,456
@blackdragon87 , @yangian , I take it you didn't read the follow up post on what @tongpoh was asking which was something in the under $1k range that was similar to a WA3 and WA6SE, both of which are quite different from the Valhalla2 in that they are both fuller sounding and on the warmer side of neutral while the Valhalla2 is a bit leaner / cleaner sounding and on the bright side of neutral with stock tubes to me. Another thing that I didn't care for with the Valhalla2 was that it wasn't very sensitive to changes in tubes unlike other tubes amps that I've tried.

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #19,496 of 23,456
h64vcpqaljv11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back