Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #182 of 23,433
There's no way to confirm anything like that. If a lot of folks have tried an HD600 for Rap/Hip-Hop and not liked it...well, they tried it and didn't like it. But you won't really know if you like it or not until you've listened to your music on it.

Just be careful of the difference between these two statements...

A lot of people have tried the HD600 for Rap/Hip-Hop and not liked it.

versus

One person tried the HD600 for Rap/Hip-Hop and didn't like it then 47 other people said "I heard that the HD600 was bad for Rap/Hip-Hop".

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #185 of 23,433
Based on listening to my HD650...and given that everything indicates less bass emphasis on the '600 than '650...I would not guess that an HD600 is on the short-list of Hip-Hop or Dance headphones. Problem is, I don't know that very many people who are into that music would have bought an HD600 in the first place! So it might be hard to find first-hand reports. For all we know they might work great but nobody's ever tried it (no serious lovers of that music I mean).

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #186 of 23,433
Oh.....my....god....
confused.gif
frown.gif

----

That probably because of the reviews.....

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #189 of 23,433
I've tried my HD600 with Rap/Hip-Hop and the bass is there in quality, but not quantity. Though it doesn't sound bad at all to me listening to Rap/Hip-Hop through my HD600, I would still probably use a bass heavier headphone for that kind of music. Something like my ATH-M50 or my soon to come PRO 900.
wink_face.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #190 of 23,433

Quote:
I've tried my HD600 with Rap/Hip-Hop and the bass is there in quality, but not quantity. Though it doesn't sound bad at all to me listening to Rap/Hip-Hop through my HD600, I would still probably use a bass heavier headphone for that kind of music. Something like my ATH-M50 or my soon to come PRO 900.
wink_face.gif

I agree with this. Though, there's equipment out there that can bump the bass up on the 600s to rap-adequate levels. Still, better to go for a can with inherently punchier/weightier bass for that purpose, like the Denon D7000 etc.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #191 of 23,433

Quote:
wink_face.gif

I agree. The HD600's does have some decent quality bass, but it has little impact. I guess I would consider the HD600's to be bass-light. The bass is nowhere as monstrous as the Pro-900's. And it also depends on how high of a volume you listen to and your equipment, etc etc.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #192 of 23,433
The bass can be slightly improved upon though with replacing the stock cable and matching it with a quality amp. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #193 of 23,433
Replacing the stock cable will make no difference.  An amp that can provide the proper voltage swing will tighten up the bass/mid-bass as that's where the big impedance rise is with them.

I can't believe some people actually consider the HD 600 to be bass-light...  Emphasized or boosted?  No!  Balanced?  Yes!

There's a slight upper bass/mid-bass bump, and the low bass drops off somewhat, but it's a smooth curve and it's not steep.  See for yourself:

40 Hz is at the same level as 1000 Hz; and there's no (okay, extremely rarely) bass that low in rap...

Listening to Gorillaz and Ratatat (the only music really approaching hip-hop and rap I have), the bass is, well, balanced...  Well, besides the induced distortion in the recordings.  I can see how bassheads would find them lacking (or rather, too much mids in comparison...), and there are definitely better choices for rap/hip-hop/bass-heavy electronic music if that's most of what you listen to.

They're certainly not perfect - but they're hardly bass-light.  They sound excellent with every genre of music, which is something I can say of very, very few headphones.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #194 of 23,433
bah gawd

Listening to one of my favourite albums in recent years, Duet with Chick Corea and Hirmoi Uehara. Sounds fantastic. I still hope the high mids/low treble will pop a tiny bit more once I have a proper amp. Still, so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back