Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #19,246 of 23,456
open back full size cans are for stationary use. if i need to move to any position except my desk chair, i use KSE1500.
Rubbish :)

They can be worn throughout the home or garden, standing, walking, dancing (!), doing the washing up, gardening, painting, quiet DIY ('home improvement' strictly no power tools) and quiet solitary walks with only the birds for company . Anywhere * and while doing anything (almost) in a quiet environment whilst largely alone. Always the best way to listen to music IMVHO. Everyone is different

(*EDIT anywhere BUT a desk which seems to mean mental work or staring at a computer, at least to me, in fact?!? Distractions! )

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #19,247 of 23,456
Hi Guys.. I need some help.. but holly cow 0_o .. 1283 pages with info..Probably someone already asked these questions but I absolutely don't have time to read all these pages. I own few headphones..shure1540 .. HD25 and IE8 .. but now I want a proper open back headphone and HD600 is a good choice. I work on quiet place but have to move a lot.. have to move from room to room..and I cant use a stationary amp which most of the people use. I need a portable amp.. so could someone recommend me something that could works well with HD600. Yea forgot to mention I use cowon plenue D .. from what I read it could drive phones up to 300Ohm.. but Im not sure if its enough to drive it.. The other thing is the cable.. from what I heard you have a 10 steps long cable.. which will be a problem.. do you have an idea from where I can buy a short cable for HD600.. which will be more comfortable to move with.
Basically 3 questions.
01- Do I really need a portable amp if I use Cowon plenue D.
02- If I need an amp.. what could work well for me. (the price range is max 400$ .. can't afford something more expensive than that).
03- Any suggestions from where I could buy a shorter cable for it ?
I will really appreciate if someone helps me with that :)

I'd consider the HD58X since it sounds quite good out of a phone or DAP, price is $150 but if you are outside of the US then that might be a problem
Short cables are easy to find since many make cables for the HD6 hundred line, something like this is decent and doesn't break the bank:
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...54744&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hd600+cable&psc=1
I haven't bought this but my old GF did get one for her HD700 which was much better than I expected for the price.
I second the recommendation for this cable. I've been using it for years on my HD600 and it works great :thumbsup:

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #19,248 of 23,456
Rubbish :)

They can be worn throughout the home or garden, standing, walking, dancing (!), doing the washing up, gardening, painting, quiet DIY ('home improvement' strictly no power tools) and quiet solitary walks with only the birds for company . Anywhere * and while doing anything (almost) in a quiet environment whilst largely alone. Always the best way to listen to music IMVHO. Everyone is different

(*EDIT anywhere BUT a desk which seems to mean mental work or staring at a computer, at least to me, in fact?!? Distractions! )

Different strokes --

For me, if I'm paddling, skiing, hiking, I want nothing inserted into the experience beyond what is there. If I think of paddling my board, then the sound of "Hotel California" arrives, it would be ["...the horror, the horror..."]. :persevere:

But sitting at my Head-Fi station, lights dimmed, tubes glowing, HD 600, saison in the glass, monitor off, I've sunken into one of that night's albums, foot tapping (or stomping), huge smile...nothing but the music. :L3000:

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #19,249 of 23,456
Kinda late to the party, but I'd just snagged a used but in near mint condition HD600 from a seller in my neck of the woods. The headband pad/cushion needed replacing (which I did) and the grills needed a wipe through with a damp cloth, looks just about brand new other than the ear pads (had them washed in antibacterial soap and dried before putting them back on). This isn't the only Senn I have, also have the HD6XX and HD800 (with SDR Mod), I'm using a third party 4 pin XLR Balanced cable which I'd gotten for my HD6XX. Oh yeah, best part of this purchase was, I'd snagged it for about 110USD, which I think is a real bargain for this gem of an audio gear.
Y2NDMsa.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #19,251 of 23,456
Kinda late to the party, but I'd just snagged a used but in near mint condition HD600 from a seller in my neck of the woods. The headband pad/cushion needed replacing (which I did) and the grills needed a wipe through with a damp cloth, looks just about brand new other than the ear pads (had them washed in antibacterial soap and dried before putting them back on). This isn't the only Senn I have, also have the HD6XX and HD800 (with SDR Mod), I'm using a third party 4 pin XLR Balanced cable which I'd gotten for my HD6XX. Oh yeah, best part of this purchase was, I'd snagged it for about 110USD, which I think is a real bargain for this gem of an audio gear.
Y2NDMsa.jpg
Did he give them up for $110 at knifepoint? :p That's a steal of a deal, fantastic headphones for the usual $300ish you see them for new these days (in fact, right now on Amazon for $286), but for 1/3 that, the HD600s blow away any other headphone I've ever seen at that price.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #19,252 of 23,456
Did he give them up for $110 at knifepoint? :p That's a steal of a deal, fantastic headphones for the usual $300ish you see them for new these days (in fact, right now on Amazon for $286), but for 1/3 that, the HD600s blow away any other headphone I've ever seen at that price.
Agree with you that $110 is a pretty good deal but I think the HD58X gives them some pretty good competition at $150 new, along with not needing a dedicated amp or sounding decent out of a average phone like my Galaxy S8.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #19,253 of 23,456
Agree with you that $110 is a pretty good deal but I think the HD58X gives them some pretty good competition at $150 new, along with not needing a dedicated amp or sounding decent out of a average phone like my Galaxy S8.
They very much do, though you gotta wait for drops and shipping. It is more easily powered than the HD600, but I think the HD600 still sounds pretty decent out of any modern smartphone. And of course, the HD58X does sound a little different than the HD600, but it's still a very enjoyable headphone. What I will say is that their are a couple of aesthetic points with the HD58X that I'm disappointed with
- The headband is gloss black so it's a fingerprint magnet and you have to keep it clean. While the finish on the HD600 is also gloss, the color pattern means you never see the fingerprints.
- The lower half of the trim ring that goes along the driver capsules is flat matte grayish-black and doesn't feel as smooth as it should. The more important thing with this detail is that it really clashes with the gloss black of the rest of the headband and doesn't make it look like a singular product due to the mismatched aesthetic IMO. I think instead of this weird combo of doing things, they should've gone with making the entirety of it a satin grayish-black or even a really dark shade of that Massdrop blue.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #19,254 of 23,456
They very much do, though you gotta wait for drops and shipping. It is more easily powered than the HD600, but I think the HD600 still sounds pretty decent out of any modern smartphone. And of course, the HD58X does sound a little different than the HD600, but it's still a very enjoyable headphone. What I will say is that their are a couple of aesthetic points with the HD58X that I'm disappointed with
- The headband is gloss black so it's a fingerprint magnet and you have to keep it clean. While the finish on the HD600 is also gloss, the color pattern means you never see the fingerprints.
- The lower half of the trim ring that goes along the driver capsules is flat matte grayish-black and doesn't feel as smooth as it should. The more important thing with this detail is that it really clashes with the gloss black of the rest of the headband and doesn't make it look like a singular product due to the mismatched aesthetic IMO. I think instead of this weird combo of doing things, they should've gone with making the entirety of it a satin grayish-black or even a really dark shade of that Massdrop blue.

Do you have opportunity to AB them?

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #19,256 of 23,456
Do you have opportunity to AB them?
I own both, and I'm gonna be honest, I think they sound nothing like each other.
A couple things there: I think at a quick pass, they have a somewhat similar sound (certainly not the same), but the differences may come out more with extensive listening sessions and the problem there is I haven't had the time lately to do an extensive listening session :p. Easy thing to notice was the more pronounced bass though, not HD650 levels, but more substantial than what's in the HD600. I don't have a conclusion yet on how that's affected the midrange, I just know that it has done a bit of something to my perception of it.

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #19,258 of 23,456
@yangian I'll quote what I posted in the HD58X thread the day I got them, but imo it depends heavily on what you want in a headphone. The HD600 is neutral and dynamic, while the HD58X is dark and thick to me. And I actually haven't hardly touched my HD58X since I got them.

So after having a chance to listen to these for a couple hours, I feel like I understand the basic signature. To my ears the HD58X are a darker leaning headphone, and not just because of the bass, which I find detailed and well defined but a bit north of my ideal level, but because of a bit of a treble roll off. The midrange is fairly linear except for a dip in the 2-3k Hz, which has made female vocals sound a touch recessed and thin to me. The treble is good, but I do hear it as a bit veiled. I haven't ever heard the HD650, but it seems to match it's FR pretty closely. This is certainly no HD600 though, and I definitely prefer the HD600 in almost every category. Though in my personal opinion the HD600 is darn near perfect, so I'm biased. It's hard for me to say how good it's resolution is in comparison because of the darker sound, but I would say they fall just short of the HD600, but come close. That modest boost to the bass and sub-bass makes the excellent for EDM, older rock and metal, and any bass heavy genres. I also hear them as less agile and quick-footed as some headphones, being perhaps a smidge slower. And as other have mentioned, these have the smallest soundstage of any open back I have ever heard. My brain is still adjusting to the sound, and I like them the more I listen, but I think those that like a darker smoother response, or a bassier headphone that isn't V shaped will prefer them. They're certainly a refined [ or good] can, and I think a lot of people are going to like them. Listening was done mostly through my AK70 and my Magni 2U. Though take my impressions with a grain of salt, I'm no professional reviewer :p

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #19,259 of 23,456
The HD-600 is a classic. $110 is a fine price. I saw a used MD 4XX for $110 two days ago. They are a lot different from each other, but they are great compliments. Toss in a DAP for $150 and some mem, and you've got an amazing amount of fidelity, storage, and playback for ~$400.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #19,260 of 23,456
The HD-600 is a classic. $110 is a fine price. I saw a used MD 4XX for $110 two days ago. They are a lot different from each other, but they are great compliments. Toss in a DAP for $150 and some mem, and you've got an amazing amount of fidelity, storage, and playback for ~$400.

Yup, agreed, I use them with FIIO X5iii and FIIO A5 (last one 100% dedicated to my HD600’s, as a matter of fact, I store them together) and it is something extraordinary.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back