Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #19,112 of 23,454
So what has everyone been listening to on their HD600's recently? :)

Whatever my mood swing towards, really!
Mark Knofler, Iron Maiden, Simply Red, Barry White, Stevie Wonder...you name it. I'm never disappointed by what I hear from my HD600!

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #19,113 of 23,454
I've been particularly enjoying Dave Brubeck and his quintessential album Time Out. The drum kit on Take Five sounds just astonishingly real! It's timbre and impact are incredible, and sense of space shockingly realistic and convincing :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #19,114 of 23,454
Big fan of Brubeck...you should give Bill Evans a whirl and all these various jazz collabs. Especially the Stan Getz / Joao Gilberto collab.
A personal fave of mine. Astrud, Gilberto's wife is soooo beautiful on the album.

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #19,115 of 23,454
I've been particularly enjoying Dave Brubeck and his quintessential album Time Out. The drum kit on Take Five sounds just astonishingly real! It's timbre and impact are incredible, and sense of space shockingly realistic and convincing :)

Ah, yes! Timeless classic, that one
And I totally agree, the drums in Take Five are superbly reproduced:beerchug: I also really like the soundstage in the whole album, it sounds very immersive to me

Jun 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #19,116 of 23,454
IMG_20171217_142042313.jpg

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #19,117 of 23,454

Yes - with extraordinary work by producer Teo Macero (better known as Miles Davis' long time producer).

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #19,118 of 23,454
Last night started with a bit of Jazz myself: Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio. Like being there
Followed by Mcdonald & Giles a proggy taste of the Seventies!

I haven't heard anything in my collection that doesn't sound right on 600s

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #19,119 of 23,454
Last night started with a bit of Jazz myself: Stan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio. Like being there
Followed by Mcdonald & Giles a proggy taste of the Seventies!

I haven't heard anything in my collection that doesn't sound right on 600s

I just started going through my Depeche Mode albums. The 80's are my favorite decade for music :)

Everything that comes out of the HD600 is impressive, but I keep getting shocked by how accurate the bass response on them is. More than even the mids or treble, it's realism keeps surprising me song after song. Can't say that I thought I would enjoy the bass so much, considering it seems like most prefer the bassier HD650

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #19,121 of 23,454

Whatever fits the moment. I've been listening to a lot of ELO lately (I've discovered that it's great workout music), as well as shuffling through my mondo 300+ song playlist of 90s music I grew up hearing on the radio (which I spent a good part of last year slowly building up from dollar bin secondhand shop finds). Apart from that, stuff as diverse as Bach, deadmau5 and Elton John has come up in the past few weeks. That's one of the great advantages of listening with an all-rounder: switching genres instantly doesn't immediately take it off its game.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #19,123 of 23,454
I also love how "fast" the HD600 seem to be. I admit that I can't say I understand what people mean when a headphone is either fast or slow, at least my ears never seemed to pick it out. I think that's changed with these; there's a sense of rhythm and dynamism that I haven't heard on other headphones. I'm assuming it's this "speed" I hear people talking about. Maybe, or maybe it's something else. If anyone knows better please correct me. Sometimes it's hard to correlate what I hear with the way audiophiles describe sound sometimes :p

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #19,124 of 23,454
I also love how "fast" the HD600 seem to be. I admit that I can't say I understand what people mean when a headphone is either fast or slow, at least my ears never seemed to pick it out. I think that's changed with these; there's a sense of rhythm and dynamism that I haven't heard on other headphones. I'm assuming it's this "speed" I hear people talking about. Maybe, or maybe it's something else. If anyone knows better please correct me. Sometimes it's hard to correlate what I hear with the way audiophiles describe sound sometimes :p

Fast usually means how quick a driver is literally.

This has a lot to do with textures, try to compare HD600 with a really slow headphone and you'll see what that means.

A quick headphone will reveal textures very well, while a slow headphone won't and might make everything feel more liquid.

Jun 11, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #19,125 of 23,454
Fast usually means how quick a driver is literally.

This has a lot to do with textures, try to compare HD600 with a really slow headphone and you'll see what that means.

A quick headphone will reveal textures very well, while a slow headphone won't and might make everything feel more liquid.

I think I need to A/B some of my headphones. I don't do tons of critical listening, only usually when I get a new pair of cans or a new album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back