Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #18,991 of 23,501
The Valhalla 2 seems to enhance the qualities of each headphone. It was more detailed, the soundstage was wider, and the separation was much more noticeable. They were also a bit brighter. This might have been because theyre only 150ohm whereas the HD600 is 300ohm, but what Im saying is the Valhalla 2 seems to be a fairly neutral amp, especially for a tube amp. But again, I say this with stock tubes. It really reminded me of my Mk1 Asgard.

Agree. Valh. 2 is very neutral.different tubes might change the sound, but the character of neutral doesn't changed.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #18,993 of 23,501
Never listened to the HD600 much, preferring the DT880 600ohm with the BH Crack.

Had my ears cleaned out today and it's like the veil has been lifted!

Mar 28, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #18,995 of 23,501
As I use my HD600 exclusively with 1/4"" jack(for one reason or another I no longer use my GS Voyager and GeekOut) I thought I might try the HD650 cable. The price of just £11 made this decision an easy one.

A mistake but not a fatal one. I have always been dubious about the effect 10ft of copper can have on a headphone. I still think the differences are fairly small but in this instance they are detectable. I find the sound with the 650 cable to be ever so slightly muddied, congested and yes maybe even veiled! I realise some of this may be due to bias or...placebo?!? but whatever it certainly doesn't sound better than the stock cable. Maybe the cable contributes to some of the differences of HD600 compared to the (inferior?) HD650. I certainly don't want my HD600 to sound warmer and rolled off or indeed changed at all, thank you

The experience reinforces my belief that when it comes to cables, pads and everything else the manufacturer, the people that painstakingly design, engineer, make and tune these things know best. There is a reason they continue to supply the 600 with the cable they've used for 30 years rather than the cheaper HD650 cable?!?

All is not lost i use the 650 cable with my hd25. Not for any sonic improvement (although it does sound fine with this application) but for practical reasons. I use the 25 at home nowadays (it sounds vastly superior; open, dynamic, properly amped) and the sensible length, more solid connections and 'proper' jack make sense:)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #18,996 of 23,501
Just got mine from Adorama.
Classic!!!!
What cable you guys recommend?
Thanks!

781522291695_.pic.jpg

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #18,999 of 23,501
Just got mine from Adorama.
Classic!!!!
What cable you guys recommend?
Thanks!

Nice gear! And as for cable, the one it came with. Unless you don't like how long it is. In which case, buy one that's the right length; price point doesn't matter. I'm happily using a generic cable that's the right length and it cost me $15, which makes me really question why some people buy a cable that costs more than the headphone itself.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #19,000 of 23,501
Nice gear! And as for cable, the one it came with. Unless you don't like how long it is. In which case, buy one that's the right length; price point doesn't matter. I'm happily using a generic cable that's the right length and it cost me $15, which makes me really question why some people buy a cable that costs more than the headphone itself.

I got HD600 too and am satisfied with the SQ coming out from my Acer laptop. However, I have planned to get a short and “better” cable because I would like to have different taste of sound and I have experienced that with Hifiman HE400.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #19,001 of 23,501

Thanks! I found stock cable is good enough, really nothing to complain, just because I have a balanced amp so I am curious about how it can effect the sound. So I may switch to another cable with balanced output.:)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #19,003 of 23,501
:)We

Thanks! I found stock cable is good enough, really nothing to complain, just because I have a balanced amp so I am curious about how it can effect the sound. So I may switch to another cable with balanced output.:)
Also HD600 scales so good, the better you feed her, better quality she sounds, so that’s the reason I am think about different cable.:)
I've always been in the camp that says the cable really doesn't matter that much. I get the cheapest cable that fits my needs appropriately and that strategy has yet to yield an issue or disappointment. My suggestion would simply be to get the cheapest balanced cable you can find for the HD600. They say the better you feed, the better it is with the HD600, but IMO, the cable isn't part of that equation; source file quality (as in source recording quality) and source amp/DAC are much more likely to play a role in how it sounds rather than some ultra-distilled-extra-pure-multi-braided-space-grade-future-wire.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #19,005 of 23,501
I've always been in the camp that says the cable really doesn't matter that much. I get the cheapest cable that fits my needs appropriately and that strategy has yet to yield an issue or disappointment. My suggestion would simply be to get the cheapest balanced cable you can find for the HD600. They say the better you feed, the better it is with the HD600, but IMO, the cable isn't part of that equation; source file quality (as in source recording quality) and source amp/DAC are much more likely to play a role in how it sounds rather than some ultra-distilled-extra-pure-multi-braided-space-grade-future-wire.

I’ve also been in the same camp concerning cables - for my speakers I just use basic Canare cables and I did try a balanced cable for my 600s and didn’t hear any difference. The only difference was loudness. But just recently I bought a Van Damme balanced cable and I was really surprised on the sound improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back