Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #18,946 of 23,425
I know. However, I have 990 and 600 and to my ears, 600 has larger soundstage than 990. And I saw that someone claimed that 880 has intimated soundstage than 990. If that's true, 880 cannot have larger soundstage than 600.

No way. Not at all. The DT990 has a pretty open and expansive soundstage. The HD600 has bettering imaging for sure, but its extremely narrow. Theres a good reason people avoid the HD600 for gaming, while praising the DT990. Its wider and far more open compared to the HD600. Hell, Id venture to say the DT770 has a wider presentation than the HD600 as well.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #18,947 of 23,425
With all due respect, I don't need my impressions qualified, especially by somebody who doesn't own the headphone. I've owned and listened to my DT880 for over seven years. I'm intimately familiar with its sound, as evidenced by the highly detailed breakdown I gave in my post. I've also owned my HD 600 for nearly two years and, barring illness and work demands, have listened to it nearly every single day since I bought it. I feel this is similarly long enough to form meaningful impressions and comparisons. If you do even a cursory survey of what other people who have owned and listened to both these headphones have to say, you'll find that my impressions fall right in line with the majority. As for the amping remark, I won't get into the mythos that surrounds that subject on Head-Fi, but I will assure you that my equipment is just fine.

In the future, please don't presumptuously qualify others' impressions, especially those made by folks with intimate knowledge of the subject. It not only comes across as rude and dismissive, but it forces them to "be the bad guy" and set the record straight. I don't enjoy doing this, but I equally don't enjoy having my attempt to offer experienced advice to a newcomer to the hobby dismissed out of hand by somebody who was not being addressed and has never even heard one of the headphones, but who chooses to not only make suppositions anyway, but then conclude, after an irrelevant logic chain, that somehow I'm doing something wrong.

I apologize if you think I offend you! What I wrote if from a logical deduction, though later I realize that there might be no logic in the field of audio. So if there was any offending and misunderstanding, I apologize.
However, I did saw people claimed 880 has small soundstage than 600 and 880 has serious "in-head" effect, which I don't feel from 600. Anyway, no any intention of offending, just doubt what you said.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #18,948 of 23,425
No way. Not at all. The DT990 has a pretty open and expansive soundstage. The HD600 has bettering imaging for sure, but its extremely narrow. Theres a good reason people avoid the HD600 for gaming, while praising the DT990. Its wider and far more open compared to the HD600. Hell, Id venture to say the DT770 has a wider presentation than the HD600 as well.

I still want to ask you what gears do you use to drive 600? Though I didn't have 770 and 880, I did have 990/600. As I said before, when I talk about soundstage, I don't mean soundstage width ONLY! Otherwise, I would say soundstage width. I agree 990 is A LITTLE BIT wider than 600, but it lacks depth and height of 600. I don't see where those "extremely, far more" come from.
Anyway, I don't want to contest with you guys about this issue any more. A final words: if you think 600's soundstage is narrow, try OTL tube amplifiers (or maybe other tube amplifiers which I havn't tried yet).

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #18,949 of 23,425
I apologize if you think I offend you! What I wrote if from a logical deduction, though later I realize that there might be no logic in the field of audio. So if there was any offending and misunderstanding, I apologize.
However, I did saw people claimed 880 has small soundstage than 600 and 880 has serious "in-head" effect, which I don't feel from 600. Anyway, no any intention of offending, just doubt what you said.

No worries. I didn't take it personally, even if I was a little miffed. I just wanted to point out how it came across and make sure anybody following along understood that my remarks are based off of extensive experience with both headphones. You're certainly entitled to come to a different conclusion, and if you ever get hold of a DT880 (despite any negatives I may have said, I still recommend it for those who like a more analytical signature), the thread would surely benefit from your impressions.

In any case, I just want you to know that I continue to value your contributions to this thread, and that if I came across as though this were a personal grudge, that definitely wasn't my intention. Hopefully I got my point across in a cordial and respectful manner, and I certainly appreciate your response.

To many more years of happy HD 600 listening!
:beerchug: (Why is this emoticon so small now?)

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #18,950 of 23,425
No worries. I didn't take it personally, even if I was a little miffed. I just wanted to point out how it came across and make sure anybody following along understood that my remarks are based off of extensive experience with both headphones. You're certainly entitled to come to a different conclusion, and if you ever get hold of a DT880 (despite any negatives I may have said, I still recommend it for those who like a more analytical signature), the thread would surely benefit from your impressions.

In any case, I just want you to know that I continue to value your contributions to this thread, and that if I came across as though this were a personal grudge, that definitely wasn't my intention. Hopefully I got my point across in a cordial and respectful manner, and I certainly appreciate your response.

To many more years of happy HD 600 listening!
:beerchug: (Why is this emoticon so small now?)

Thanks so much for understanding!:beerchug:
Though I do not have 880, I have 990 and really like it from a very budgeted player - Walnut V2S. I cannot endure its piercing high and very thin sound signature until I found V2S coul heal it. This might be my fault - I bought 990 instead of 880. I doubt I might like 880 more. My initial intention to buy 990 instead of 880 just because people always say 880 is very neutral and 600 is also very neutral. I want to try something different.
I fully understand your appreciation of 880 and I do heartly agree with Brooko that there are so much value in these former flagships! Even the worst reputed 990 can sound amazing from a ~$20 music player!!

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #18,953 of 23,425
So I've had these HD600's for a couple years. I bought them second hand. Starting to wonder if it's time to change out the pads. The right side, in particular, seems pretty thin. My right ear easily touches the foam inside.

upload_2018-3-22_20-51-44.png

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #18,955 of 23,425
So I've had these HD600's for a couple years. I bought them second hand. Starting to wonder if it's time to change out the pads. The right side, in particular, seems pretty thin. My right ear easily touches the foam inside.

I'd highly recommend new pads :ksc75smile:

Anyone knows where can I find the bottom frames replacements? I got them scratched and want to replace them.
contact Sennheiser directly would be your best bet

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #18,957 of 23,425
The first headphone real headphone I bought and one I will never sell.

Valhalla 2 + Modi 2 Uber + JW 2c51 WE396A tubes + HD600 = PURE BLISS! :dt880smile:

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #18,958 of 23,425
The first headphone real headphone I bought and one I will never sell.

Valhalla 2 + Modi 2 Uber + JW 2c51 WE396A tubes + HD600 = PURE BLISS! :dt880smile:

Wes S (and anyone who may want to weigh in), do you like your HD600 better with tubes than with a SS amp?

I'm enjoying my Mimby/Magni3/HD600 stack a lot, but I've read so many times that tube amps can give a greater level of musicality to many headphones (possibly slightly more bass as well?) and might want to give that a try down the road...
I wonder if a warmer sound signature would match the detailed and slightly bass-thin presentation that the HD600 is able to give me. Any thoughts about it?

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #18,959 of 23,425
Wes S (and anyone who may want to weigh in), do you like your HD600 better with tubes than with a SS amp?

I'm enjoying my Mimby/Magni3/HD600 stack a lot, but I've read so many times that tube amps can give a greater level of musicality to many headphones (possibly slightly more bass as well?) and might want to give that a try down the road...
I wonder if a warmer sound signature would match the detailed and slightly bass-thin presentation that the HD600 is able to give me. Any thoughts about it?

To my ears, tube amplifier always give large soundstage, which none of my budget SS amp. can match. But tubes also always soft the sound, you may like or not.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #18,960 of 23,425
To my ears, tube amplifier always give large soundstage, which none of my budget SS amp. can match. But tubes also always soft the sound, you may like or not.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing your experience :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back