Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #17,041 of 23,278

Thanks

Maybe I should listen to music without bass. For all we know Bass could just be noise though I have no idea why it sounds good I just can't put my finger on why boosting low frequency makes songs more musical and dark.

You want great SQ and plenty of bass, then your budget will need an increase. You can then entertain Planar Magnetic/Orthos or a good dynamic can. In any case you'll have to EQ up the bass as quality headphones don't have highly elevated levels of bass, they have high quality bass. If you want gobs of bass you can go to an Apple store and pick up a pair of Beats, however, I suspect that would be a hard lesson as the bass will not be the same quality, the overall SQ will stink but one would have a fashion statement.
Many people learn the hard way, their wallets take a severe beating along the journey with a resulting pile of discarded headphones. I would think carefully and save up a bit before taking the leap and land on my feet.
I suspect that an HD600 or HD650 with about 6 dB of carefully applied EQ might do the trick. If you need more than that, you are probably speaking to the wrong crowd and perhaps a basshead thread would be better for your quest.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #17,042 of 23,278
I have a question.. basically im going to sound a little padantic/anal lol. I got my HD600s a few days ago, they were sealed up nicely with no signs of use. I inspect all my new gear and know everything cant always be perfect. But i found a match head size chip on the right mesh screen, there is no dent. Looks like a manufacturing fault. Has anyone else had an imperfection like this? I covered it up with black sharpie, but the fact i know its there annoys me a little. Doh.

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #17,043 of 23,278
I have a question.. basically im going to sound a little padantic/anal lol. I got my HD600s a few days ago, they were sealed up nicely with no signs of use. I inspect all my new gear and know everything cant always be perfect. But i found a match head size chip on the right mesh screen, there is no dent. Looks like a manufacturing fault. Has anyone else had an imperfection like this? I covered it up with black sharpie, but the fact i know its there annoys me a little. Doh.

Mine arrived in perfect condition, years later it is still cosmetically and sonically in perfect working order. I can tell that little bird will be chirping in your ear forever. My concern would be if the chip resulted from a handling mishap or a manufacturing defect that will cause further chips down the road. I would contact Sennheiser with that question and hold their feet to the fire rather than have it looming over you.
Are you enjoying the sound?

Nov 26, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #17,046 of 23,278
Mine arrived in perfect condition, years later it is still cosmetically and sonically in perfect working order. I can tell that little bird will be chirping in your ear forever. My concern would be if the chip resulted from a handling mishap or a manufacturing defect that will cause further chips down the road. I would contact Sennheiser with that question and hold their feet to the fire rather than have it looming over you.
Are you enjoying the sound?

Good point, i have sent them an email. So far i haven't been blown away with the sound, its very delicate. Will listen more over the next week/weeks, if they dont grow on me. Off to the for sale section :)

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #17,047 of 23,278
Good point, i have sent them an email. So far i haven't been blown away with the sound, its very delicate. Will listen more over the next week/weeks, if they dont grow on me. Off to the for sale section
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the Fiio A5 a good amp to drive the HD-600?  I've never tried it so curious to know if its a good pairing

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #17,048 of 23,278
  Is the Fiio A5 a good amp to drive the HD-600?  I've never tried it so curious to know if its a good pairing

The A5 is the successor to the E12. I have an E12 for portable use and the two work well together. The E12 and A5 can swing to a very nice Vp-p. The HD600 is not as hard to drive as some people might have you believe.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #17,049 of 23,278

The A5 is the successor to the E12. I have an E12 for portable use and the two work well together. The E12 and A5 can swing to a very nice Vp-p. The HD600 is not as hard to drive as some people might have you believe.

Thanks for the reply, I've always wondered why people bother with adding an amp to a phone or DAP to power less efficient headphones, I've usually figured its easier to get a efficient headphone that doesn't need a extra amp.  I usually travel with 2 headphones, MDR-7506 (on the plane only with a little dynamat in the cups to help cut down external noise) and EL8-open, both easy to run from phone or Fiio X3/X3ii.  I tried to take my HD-600 once and said never again since it can't fold flat.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #17,050 of 23,278
  Thanks for the reply, I've always wondered why people bother with adding an amp to a phone or DAP to power less efficient headphones, I've usually figured its easier to get a efficient headphone that doesn't need a extra amp.  I usually travel with 2 headphones, MDR-7506 (on the plane only with a little dynamat in the cups to help cut down external noise) and EL8-open, both easy to run from phone or Fiio X3/X3ii.  I tried to take my HD-600 once and said never again since it can't fold flat.

I have MDR-7506 and MDR-V6 and really like them both.

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #17,051 of 23,278

It pairs really well and drives the HD600 with ease.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #17,052 of 23,278

It pairs really well and drives the HD600 with ease.

The E12 and A5 have a larger voltage swing that phones don't. Phones don't need the same power rails as they don't this for anything normally phone related so the expense would not be justified for most consumers. We are in the minority, oh well.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #17,053 of 23,278
The E12 and A5 have a larger voltage swing that phones don't. Phones don't need the same power rails as they don't this for anything normally phone related so the expense would not be justified for most consumers. We are in the minority, oh well.

Then I wonder why you guys also have more expensive amplifiers?

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #17,054 of 23,278
Then I wonder why you guys also have more expensive amplifiers?

Different amplifiers often provide slightly different flavours and functionalities.
FiiO E12 and A5 for instance can be used as portable amplifiers which is a big plus for some of us, and something not important for those who always listen to music at a fixed point in the house.

In my experience these FiiOs are clean, transparent and punchy in the bass without being overly analytical or overly warm. Not extremely wide, not too closed in. I consider them reference SS amps. If you like the headphone, then best chances are you'll like it trough one of these amps.

Some of us just buy stuff for the sake of trying different things (fun you know). Differences among properly engineered stuff are subtle in the big scheme of things. Depending on the recording, the headphone and the mood one might prefer one flavour or the other. Most of the times, if you like the headphone and the recording, best chances are you'll forget which amp is playing.

Some people try to justify the money invested claiming night and day differences among amplifiers (hyperbole style) but in the big scheme of things these are all more similar than different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back