Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #15,436 of 23,456

That more or less seems to be my experience. They still clamp a little more than something like my DT880, but it's not an unpleasant feeling, and they do a good job staying secure on the head. Which is a good thing because, however well built and solid they may be, they're still plastic, and I'd rather they not tumble off my head and onto the floor if I get particularly caught up in the music or something. The clamp will hopefully stop that happening.

If you don't need to look directly down or bend down, it'll probably be okay. I think when I need to bend and look directly down, it slides a little so I take it off just in case. I prefer my headphones looking immaculate cuz if it gets nicked, even if it's mostly on my head and I don't have to look at it, I just know that a bit of damage is there and I hate that feeling.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #15,437 of 23,456
  If you don't need to look directly down or bend down, it'll probably be okay. I think when I need to bend and look directly down, it slides a little so I take it off just in case. I prefer my headphones looking immaculate cuz if it gets nicked, even if it's mostly on my head and I don't have to look at it, I just know that a bit of damage is there and I hate that feeling.

Unfortunately, mine are already imperfect. When swapping over to the HD 650 headband pad, I couldn't find a non-metal tool to pop off the retaining clip, so I used a small screwdriver. The paint on the metal portion that goes inside the headband got scratched because of this. It's invisible unless I take the headband apart again, but I know it's there, and it bothers me. Also, the clips got a bit bent up in the ordeal. Definitely not salable now without a discount for the imperfections, but that's okay because I don't ever see myself selling my pair. Even if I find a worthy upgrade, I'll keep my HD 600 around--it's a classic reference that I would want access to, if for no other reason than it's useful for comparisons because many people have heard it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #15,438 of 23,456
Hope y'all can gradually get used to the idea of tiny cosmetic flaws in headphones over time.  After that, turn to chapter 2, where everyone dies, and the earth burns up, and later there is entropic heat death of the universe.
(You're welcome!)

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #15,439 of 23,456
I'm fairly used to the idea of my headphones eventually looking less than perfect. I'm just a bit bummed that something I'd had at that point for less than a month was already messed up.

My DT880 has a lot worse going on with it. Almost five years ago I managed to bend the connector very slightly by accidentally kicking it (yes, really). I still don't know how exactly I managed that; it was on my bed connected to its amp, and I managed to hit it flush with my foot. The 1/4" adapter was completely destroyed, but the 3/8" one inside just got bent a bit. It still works perfectly after all these years, so I dodged a bullet there.

The bigger issue currently is that, for the past year, I've had this happening. It's not as bad as in the linked thread, but it's definitely the same issue. The gunk is hard to clean, too. It got on my white laptop and I had to use a magic eraser to get it off. Unfortunately, unlike the Pro version, the Premium DTxx0 headphones don't have a removable headband pad. Obviously it can be hacked to bits to get it off, but it's not meant to be replaced. Supposedly a Pro snap-on pad will work, but it's apparently a bit difficult to stretch it over the...er...metal horn things.

Thankfully every part of the HD 600 is fully replaceable, so normal maintenance should be pretty straightforward. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #15,440 of 23,456

Unfortunately, mine are already imperfect. When swapping over to the HD 650 headband pad, I couldn't find a non-metal tool to pop off the retaining clip, so I used a small screwdriver. The paint on the metal portion that goes inside the headband got scratched because of this. 

I use a tweezer to pull it off and so far the only damage I've done is scratch the inner side of the headband pad clip.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #15,441 of 23,456
  You could also do what I did, build a Ypsilon driver headphone (go back on page)

I have a pre-built pair with PX-100 II drivers coming. I'll definitely consider swapping to Ypsilon drivers after I get an initial feel for them :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #15,442 of 23,456
  I have a pre-built pair with PX-100 II drivers coming. I'll definitely consider swapping to Ypsilon drivers after I get an initial feel for them :)

Measure the opening on your cups when you get them, the Ypsilon driver is slightly larger in diameter (46mm) and may not fit your cup (most are 45 to 45.5mm) to fit liberated grado drivers from what others have posted and I have measured.

Aug 2, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #15,443 of 23,456
Well, I can't believe after all of this time my newest headphone is an old classic that I have read so much about. I never expected to pick up this headphone. I owned the HD 650, liked it well enough, but preferred my DT 880 at the time so sold the 650. Now years later I've purchased a fairly nice OTL amp (La Figaro 339) which apparently when combined with the HD 600 is magic. So, I sold off my TH 600 (I'll miss that headphone for sure) took a brand new HD 600 and $120 cash in trade and here I am, really enjoying the HD 600. My OTL amp isn't here yet, but out of the iDSD Micro the 600 sounds pretty darn good. I'm really looking forward to hearing this OTL combination, should arrive this Friday from Calgary.

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #15,445 of 23,456
  Well, I can't believe after all of this time my newest headphone is an old classic that I have read so much about. I never expected to pick up this headphone. I owned the HD 650, liked it well enough, but preferred my DT 880 at the time so sold the 650. Now years later I've purchased a fairly nice OTL amp (La Figaro 339) which apparently when combined with the HD 600 is magic. So, I sold off my TH 600 (I'll miss that headphone for sure) took a brand new HD 600 and $120 cash in trade and here I am, really enjoying the HD 600. My OTL amp isn't here yet, but out of the iDSD Micro the 600 sounds pretty darn good. I'm really looking forward to hearing this OTL combination, should arrive this Friday from Calgary.

I also have an HD600 in my collection and it's one of my favorites, at the top end of the list. It's a lot easier to drive than many people make it out to be. It's pretty comfortable, well it's a lot lighter than my planar magnetic/ortho cans.
You'll enjoy them for a long time, I suspect that you might not ever part with them.

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #15,446 of 23,456
  I also have an HD600 in my collection and it's one of my favorites, at the top end of the list. It's a lot easier to drive than many people make it out to be. It's pretty comfortable, well it's a lot lighter than my planar magnetic/ortho cans.
You'll enjoy them for a long time, I suspect that you might not ever part with them.

With what are you driving your HD600?  I have the magni 2 uber and even though they are nice, I do feel some things are lacking, but still dont know what is the weak link in my chain. Currently playing from my computer to the modi 2 uber, FLAC and 320kbps mp3s. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #15,447 of 23,456

I hope the treble spike doesn't bother you like with the TH-600, and can't wait to hear what you think about the 339/600 combo.

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #15,448 of 23,456

With what are you driving your HD600?  I have the magni 2 uber and even though they are nice, I do feel some things are lacking, but still dont know what is the weak link in my chain. Currently playing from my computer to the modi 2 uber, FLAC and 320kbps mp3s. 

Foobar2000 -- Wasapi --> Modi 2 Uber --> Magni 2 Uber --> HD600 ?

Can you name a few examples of recordings that you normally listen with your HD600? (those were HD600 is lacking)

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #15,449 of 23,456

For me it was: UD-301 > BH Crack, WAV, FLAC or 320mp3.  I've since sold my HD-600 since it had a small spike at 4-5khz that bothered me a little with some tracks and also because a friend wanted it.  I was going to get another down the line like black Friday sale but since I've built a Grado clone using Ypsilon drivers mounted in some wood cups, I don't think I'll ever get another HD-600.  Biggest advantage of the Ypsilon driver is that its easy to drive, my S5 or Fiio X3 will sound just as good or better than the HD-600 on the UD-301/BH Crack.

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #15,450 of 23,456

I've used it with many amps, however, I like SS amps and tend to use an Asgard 2 the most. I'm in the school that good amps sound better than humans can tell any difference as technology has long passed by our limited senses. Perhaps you're looking for a sound profile that the HD600 does not fulfill. What is it that you hear that displeases you? Do you need more sub bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back