Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Nov 4, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #991 of 1,133
Thanks for the replies and the info! I ended up going with the Sennheiser's for the extra bass and I'm looking forward to trying them out.  I'm new to all of this and these are the first pair of decent headphones I've ever bought.  I have a set of Beats earbuds that I won a while ago that were fine for a bunch of traveling I did and for at work and I recently got a pair of Westone ADV Beta's I use when doing cardio and I like them but they're not amazing.  I'm hoping these ones are a bit of a step up for using at home and traveling.

Can anyone recommend a portable amp that would help me get the most out of the HD7's and would be the best bang for my buck, or even ones that aren't portable I'm open to any suggestions or information.  Thanks!

If you're wanting to do some in depth home listening I wouldn't recommend the DJ line, the mid range and treble has really been tuned to minimise listening fatigue at loud volumes so vocals and instruments dont always sound that natural or realistic. However if you simply want to rock out to some pumping bass lines then these are among the best that I've tried. The sub bass kick is incredible, even more so when amped. Personally I just use a cheap portable cmoy which I run straight off my iPad or iPhones headphone output. You don't need anything fancy for these headphones imo, a cmoy or something like a fiio q1 or a3 will suffice.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #992 of 1,133
  Can you try the Akai MPC or M-Audio HDH50?  You probably won't find a better choice easily (they're actually the same headphone); they isolate very, very well and comfort, at least for me, is great.  They are more neutral than most closed headphones at $200 and under in the US, I don't know about where you live.

Man. I didn't like them at all. Bass? None. I've returned them. Now I'm pretty happy with the HD8s. The bass is nice and low and smooth, and pounding too (at times), without compromise to the rest of the sound wave. The M-Audios, despite how nice they're built, made me... so... SAD... after I put them on. Ah... 0 bass. I didn't know they were THIIIIISSS flat. Don't suit me. Sorry. Maybe I'm a bit of a basshead but I just thought they are the worst for listening. Yeah, for monitoring maybe. But not listening or enjoying.

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #995 of 1,133
  I really like the look of HD6 Mix, possible christmas purchase

I hope they sound a bit like the HD600, with deeper sub bass. Am I expecting too much?

Well yeah... you just cant compare the closed ones with opens. Plus, I dont think this will sound like the HD600. The clamp is pretty tight. The HD600s must be VERY STAGE-Y, AIRY and I believe, way more comfortable. The HD8s may have too much bass and the mids and trebs muffled. Plus, these are DJ phones, and the 600s are audiophile.

Some may call it a great fit, but for others (including myself, and my HD8) it's just too much. So I guess since they're apparently the upper echlon, the HD6 could be worse. Soundwise, they are nice, and better to me than the V-Modas, but not too distant from the ATH-M50x. Plus I modded my ATHs so they're giving me a nice bass too, so now these are even less distinguishable. You really will have to compare a lot of things here. The comparison you're aiming at is simply not Apples to Apples.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #996 of 1,133
I really like the look of HD6 Mix, possible christmas purchase

I hope they sound a bit like the HD600, with deeper sub bass. Am I expecting too much?

Although they do have great sub bass they don't sound anything like the hd600 to my ears. If you're getting them for mixing they're not bad but for musical enjoyment I would recommend you pass on them. The hd7 and hd8 are better for listening to music but even then there are better options imo.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #998 of 1,133
x3, haha

The strengths of HD7/8 are the isolation and ruggedness.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #999 of 1,133
So I just bought the HD8 Djs and they are junk in my opinion... Here's why. I received the original set on the 26th of December and the velor ear pads were completely ripped... Then I took the second replacement set and they were not ripped but the connecting plastic plate that gets booked to thecans had been nearly completely separated from the pad. Leaving them flopping around. After 2 faulty sets I will not be buying from senheiser again without a full inspection.

I would also like to point out that after receiving the second set I tried to remove the one in tact velor pad from the can and if separated just like the other. So the product itself is only held by the rashy kraft glue. If you want great sound... Get these phones... But if you want quality... Avoid!

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,000 of 1,133
So I just bought the HD8 Djs and they are junk in my opinion... Here's why. I received the original set on the 26th of December and the velor ear pads were completely ripped... Then I took the second replacement set and they were not ripped but the connecting plastic plate that gets booked to thecans had been nearly completely separated from the pad. Leaving them flopping around. After 2 faulty sets I will not be buying from senheiser again without a full inspection.

I would also like to point out that after receiving the second set I tried to remove the one in tact velor pad from the can and if separated just like the other. So the product itself is only held by the rashy kraft glue. If you want great sound... Get these phones... But if you want quality... Avoid!

Brand new hd8's? Seems rather strange, i've had both the hd6 and hd7 with no pad issues.

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #1,001 of 1,133

Where did you purchase your HD8? Did you get in touch with our service center? 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 1, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,003 of 1,133
Any news on a shorter straight cable for the HD DJ series? I would rather not get a third party cable, but there are many options on e-bay. If anyone found a reliable short cable (around 1.2m) I would like to know.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,004 of 1,133
Yeah man. Much needed stuff. Well I guess our best bet is still third party. I ain't gonna wait no longer. I actually have ordered one off eBay. Trouble is its been almost a month and I'm in the Emirates. Let's see. I'll through in some feedback when it gets here. It's supposed to be OFC but I'm not much familiar with that stuff. Well at least it's braided and you have some choice of color. Interestingly enough, I've gone with RED rather than a more suiting black & gray one. Wanted to keep it a bit more aftermarket-y.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,005 of 1,133
There's nothing wrong with the third party cable I got from ebay. It works great and i've had it for about a year or so now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back