Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Sep 10, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #976 of 1,133
  Has it been mentioned how HD7s compare to Amperiors and DT1350s?  I own the latter two and wondering if it will be worth the purchase ($170 on MassDrop).  I don't care just to scroll through 65 pages for nothing LOL 

Amperior and DT1350 have that "small headphone" soundstage in any event, and Amperior is an overall downgrade in sound, but HD7 has a rather different signature.  Amperior is more mid-forward and balanced (as far as midrange), HD7 is a pinch recessed and rather laidback in the midrange with subdued upper mids.  Bass and treble are all-around better than Amperior.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #977 of 1,133

Amperior and DT1350 have that "small headphone" soundstage in any event, and Amperior is an overall downgrade in sound, but HD7 has a rather different signature.  Amperior is more mid-forward and balanced (as far as midrange), HD7 is a pinch recessed and rather laidback in the midrange with subdued upper mids.  Bass and treble are all-around better than Amperior.

Oh the world we live in where Amperior is a "downgrade" sound LOL Thanks for the info.  Gives me something to consider. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #979 of 1,133
I forgot to post this a long time ago, if anyone doesn't care for his like-new HD8/7 pleather pads, I'll be more than happy to trade them for my HD8 velours.  I've no interest in them, and would prefer to have spare pleathers instead.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #980 of 1,133
Hey all,

I just got my HD7 DJ's from Massdrop, and well... they are damned good! They are the bassiest headphone I own, but the bass isn't so bad with all my metal. The bass is pretty impactful with good control and some slight midrange bleeding. The midrange itself is a bit recessed, but honestly a lot of bass heavy headphones are like that. Though it should be noted it's not as bad as it might sound. The midrange does have some body/weight to it. Treble is present with it being rolled off and missing a chink of the higher frequencies. The upper end of the treble is still there, but pretty soft and rolls off early. The headphone has enough treble to not sound dull and lifeless.

Overall these are good headphone and the only complaint I have to make is for the stock cables. Like, these are the stiffest cables of any headphone I have owned. They tangle so much and are cumbersome. If you buy this headphone, invest in a aftermarket cable from ebay ($15 or so).

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #981 of 1,133
Too bad Sennheiser still hasn't bothered making a short cable for HD6/7/8.  They should have included it from the start in addition to the other two.

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #982 of 1,133
Good evening. I signed up just to ask if I need an external headphone amp for the headphones I have on the way. The headphones I have on the way are the sennheiser hd8 dj. It will be used to game on my newly built PC which I'm going pick up this weekend. I will also enjoy listening to audio such as flac and high quality mp3 files.

My mother board does have integrated audio. It's an asus m5a99fx pro r.20 am3+ amd 99fx sata 6gb/s usb 3.0 etc mother board

My sound card is a creative sound blaster Zx PCIe gaming sound card

After a little thought to this post, I think the better question to ask is what difference will my notice ears distinguish if any. Sorry If I'm Not asking the correct way.

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #983 of 1,133
I'm hoping someone with a bit of experience with both could help me decide between the Sennheiser HD7 DJ's and the ATH-M50X with a Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp that are both on Massdrop for 169.99$ right now.  I'll be using them mostly with an iPhone 6, iPod and Macbook pro and would be picking up an amp for the HD7's sometime soon if I end up going with them, I mostly listen to rap, classic rock, lot's of audiobooks and podcasts and some edm and other music too.  Any info that you think would help me decide would be awesome, I've read through most of this thread and am leaning towards the HD7's at the moment.  Thanks in advance!!

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #984 of 1,133
  I'm hoping someone with a bit of experience with both could help me decide between the Sennheiser HD7 DJ's and the ATH-M50X with a Creative Sound Blaster E1 amp that are both on Massdrop for 169.99$ right now.  I'll be using them mostly with an iPhone 6, iPod and Macbook pro and would be picking up an amp for the HD7's sometime soon if I end up going with them, I mostly listen to rap, classic rock, lot's of audiobooks and podcasts and some edm and other music too.  Any info that you think would help me decide would be awesome, I've read through most of this thread and am leaning towards the HD7's at the moment.  Thanks in advance!!

Do you like bass? Do you like treble? Do you like a balanced sound? If you are a basshead I would go for the HD7DJ. If you're looking for a more balanced sound, M50x. The HD7DJ's are a really thick sounding headphone with a lot of bass. The headband on the DJ's aren't that comfortable and have a clamping force. I prefer the M50's for comfort. I think the M50 is good for a wider range of genres, while the HD7DJ would be better suited for rap and EDM.  

Bassier sound = HD7DJ
Balanced sound = M50x

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #986 of 1,133
Do you like bass? Do you like treble? Do you like a balanced sound? If you are a basshead I would go for the HD7DJ. If you're looking for a more balanced sound, M50x. The HD7DJ's are a really thick sounding headphone with a lot of bass. The headband on the DJ's aren't that comfortable and have a clamping force. I prefer the M50's for comfort. I think the M50 is good for a wider range of genres, while the HD7DJ would be better suited for rap and EDM.  

Bassier sound = HD7DJ
Balanced sound = M50x

The m50x is also more suitable for portable listening out of the box as it comes with a 1.2m cable. The sennheiser's do not come with a portable style cable you will have to use the coiled cable which is a bit on the heavy side.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #987 of 1,133

Bassier sound = HD7DJ
Balanced sound = M50x

The m50x is also more suitable for portable listening out of the box as it comes with a 1.2m cable. The sennheiser's do not come with a portable style cable you will have to use the coiled cable which is a bit on the heavy side.

I bought a short cable for $15.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #988 of 1,133
Got my hd7's in the mail today. I was expecting bass cannon headphones but was surprised to find the bass not as hyped as I'd imagined. It's very present, powerful and deep but not too overpowering so you can still hear and enjoy the rest of the spectrum. I find at lower volumes the upper mids and top end can sound a bit muffled, these are clearly meant to be be played at loud volumes in order to get the best out of them. I was watching some contemporary music videos on YouTube and the power and depth of the bass on these cans gave me goose bumps on quite a few tracks.
Build quality is amazing, no creaking like on my hd6's and clamping force was quite ideal out of the box, firm enough to stop them sliding around but not uncomfortably tight either, I had them on for 3 hours straight with no major comfort issues. One thing that really amazes me is these are actually one of the few headphones I've used that doesn't need to be set to the max size to fit my head, I actually have to decrease them a couple of clicks on each side.
Overall I'd say the sound quality is on par for the price I paid and when you factor in the excellent build quality and great comfort I think they're very good value.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #990 of 1,133
Thanks for the replies and the info! I ended up going with the Sennheiser's for the extra bass and I'm looking forward to trying them out.  I'm new to all of this and these are the first pair of decent headphones I've ever bought.  I have a set of Beats earbuds that I won a while ago that were fine for a bunch of traveling I did and for at work and I recently got a pair of Westone ADV Beta's I use when doing cardio and I like them but they're not amazing.  I'm hoping these ones are a bit of a step up for using at home and traveling.

Can anyone recommend a portable amp that would help me get the most out of the HD7's and would be the best bang for my buck, or even ones that aren't portable I'm open to any suggestions or information.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back