Sennheiser HD 598 vs Audio Technica ATH-AD 900
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Opinions?

Might depend on what they are plugged into, my HD558 scales better volume wise over my ATH-AD900 when plugged into my receiver.
So I'm assuming the HD598 & AD900 would be the same.
I guess the Senn HD5XX handle higher impedance headphone ports better then the ATH-AXXXX.
Where as the ATH-AXXXX might be a little sweeter with music, paired to a low impedance amplifier, over the Senn HD5XXX.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Might depend on what they are plugged into, my HD558 scales better volume wise over my ATH-AD900 when plugged into my receiver.
So I'm assuming the HD598 & AD900 would be the same.
I guess the Senn HD5XX handle higher impedance headphone ports better then the ATH-AXXXX.
Where as the ATH-AXXXX might be a little sweeter with music, paired to a low impedance amplifier, over the Senn HD5XXX.

So, in turn the AD900 is better for using portable sources.
I don't think many would use open headphones while out and about.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 14
The Audio Technica ATH-A700X seems to be getting some good feedback, Amazon is selling used ones for just over $100.
might try and read up on any reviews you can fine.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

Very similar headphones. Focus is neutrality but not quite neutral (sub-bass is rolled off, mid-bass is not strong, mids and treble sound a little more forward). I find the Sennheiser more comfortable.

What are you looking for in a headphone?

Very best.

I can tell the Sennheiser is more comfortable and I prefer the oval shaped pads.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

Very similar headphones. Focus is neutrality but not quite neutral (sub-bass is rolled off, mid-bass is not strong, mids and treble sound a little more forward). I find the Sennheiser more comfortable.

What are you looking for in a headphone?

Very best,

Exactly, please at least describe what genre of music you will be listening, and in wich environment.... 

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Exactly, please at least describe what genre of music you will be listening, and in wich environment.... 

My music taste is extremely broad so I wouldn't sacrifice let's say bass for more treble or treble for more bass. All rounded goodness would be nice.
The environment will just be in my room, which is fairly small.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 14
I was able to directly compare the two a few nights ago with a friend who came over. I owned the Audio Technica AD900, and he owned the 598, (cream colored Sennheiser headphone.)

The differences I noted were as such:
 Sennheiser (HD598)
    -slightly warmer midrange
    -smoother treble
   -less 'air'
   -smaller soundstage

Audio Technica (AD900)
   -brighter treble
   -larger soundstage
   -nearly zero bass kick and impact. It is audible, but a very minor player.
   -relatively thin midrange

The AD900 is not for everyone. For female vocals and classical music, it will give you an incredibly clean and bright presentation. When I got them, that is what I wanted. After listening to added bass making females sound chesty, I didn't want something that was just neutral. I wanted to take a few steps further away from rich and chesty. What I have now is an incredibly detailed headphone with an expansive soundstage and some of the best treble I've heard. This is what I wanted. 

The Sennheiser HD598 has a much friendlier sound to most people. The bass and midrange is a bit more present, and music doesn't sound so much like it's floating around a huge open area. There is some more bass, and it's not like the Audio Technica in 'treble and air before all else.' If you need some warmth, or some bass presence, get the 598 by all means. You won't have to listen as hard for the bass, and overall it will be a bit better as most genres. (Like I've said, the AD900 excels at vocal and classical music. I also appreciate it with rock, because I love the brightness. Most people may not.)

They are sidesteps to each other, and it depends on what you are going for. If it's something bright, the AD900 will win you over. If it's something a bit more 'neutral' with some warmth, the HD598 will be the clear winner. If you have a poor source, the HD598 will be more forgiving. (My roommates note that the AD900 sounds worse than stock earbuds and a Sennheiser 202 when listening to youtube videos... I agree.)

Personally, I have a Cowon S9, and can EQ the bass up to my hearts content. Since the AD900 can be easily driven, and doesn't require a 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor, I would say it's also more convenient for a semi-portable rig to wear around the house, rather than at a desk. If you have a Rockboxed iPod 5.5g or below, or really anything with a semi  or fully parametric equalizer, or a Cowon, you will find that EQ can be used to compensate for the brightness of the AD900... just as it can add brightness to the HD598. It will not however be able to make up for the soundstage of the AD900, which I prefer.

Lastly, the build of the AD900 is something I find superior to the HD598. The 598 is mostly plastic, and it shows. Sure, it looks nicer, but between the metal bars covered with rubber on the headband of the AD900, the magnesium frame, and the aluminum grills on the back, I think it's fair to say the AD900 wins in this department.

Comfort wise, the driver of the AD900 touches my ear, and unmodified the 598 is easily more comfortable. I have modded my AD900, and now prefer it, and the incredibly light feel.

If you want something bright (Think: bright enough to make a TripleFi sound dark and muddy, or to make an Etymotic sound on the bass heavy side of neutral,) get the AD900. If you want something with a bit more mellow sound, warmth, and bass, get the HD598.

(Also note, the differences here aren't as huge as one might think. If you were to A/B with particular songs that didn't have plenty of treble and bass for a short period of time, you could easily think they were nearly identical based on midrange alone.)

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 14
I am that guy who owns the 598s that stevenswall is talking about. Basically everything he is saying is accurate. Despite a lot of people saying that the 598s have "the best soundstage for its price" the ad900s is much more spacious. Don't get me wrong, the 598 has a terrific soundstage, but the ad900s topple it. But yeah, stevenswall's impressions are spot on.
I was able to directly compare the two a few nights ago with a friend who came over. I owned the Audio Technica AD900, and he owned the 598, (cream colored Sennheiser headphone.)

The differences I noted were as such:
 Sennheiser (HD598)
    -slightly warmer midrange
    -smoother treble
   -less 'air'
   -smaller soundstage

Audio Technica (AD900)
   -brighter treble
   -larger soundstage
   -nearly zero bass kick and impact. It is audible, but a very minor player.
   -relatively thin midrange

The AD900 is not for everyone. For female vocals and classical music, it will give you an incredibly clean and bright presentation. When I got them, that is what I wanted. After listening to added bass making females sound chesty, I didn't want something that was just neutral. I wanted to take a few steps further away from rich and chesty. What I have now is an incredibly detailed headphone with an expansive soundstage and some of the best treble I've heard. This is what I wanted. 

The Sennheiser HD598 has a much friendlier sound to most people. The bass and midrange is a bit more present, and music doesn't sound so much like it's floating around a huge open area. There is some more bass, and it's not like the Audio Technica in 'treble and air before all else.' If you need some warmth, or some bass presence, get the 598 by all means. You won't have to listen as hard for the bass, and overall it will be a bit better as most genres. (Like I've said, the AD900 excels at vocal and classical music. I also appreciate it with rock, because I love the brightness. Most people may not.)

They are sidesteps to each other, and it depends on what you are going for. If it's something bright, the AD900 will win you over. If it's something a bit more 'neutral' with some warmth, the HD598 will be the clear winner. If you have a poor source, the HD598 will be more forgiving. (My roommates note that the AD900 sounds worse than stock earbuds and a Sennheiser 202 when listening to youtube videos... I agree.)

Personally, I have a Cowon S9, and can EQ the bass up to my hearts content. Since the AD900 can be easily driven, and doesn't require a 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor, I would say it's also more convenient for a semi-portable rig to wear around the house, rather than at a desk. If you have a Rockboxed iPod 5.5g or below, or really anything with a semi  or fully parametric equalizer, or a Cowon, you will find that EQ can be used to compensate for the brightness of the AD900... just as it can add brightness to the HD598. It will not however be able to make up for the soundstage of the AD900, which I prefer.

Lastly, the build of the AD900 is something I find superior to the HD598. The 598 is mostly plastic, and it shows. Sure, it looks nicer, but between the metal bars covered with rubber on the headband of the AD900, the magnesium frame, and the aluminum grills on the back, I think it's fair to say the AD900 wins in this department.

Comfort wise, the driver of the AD900 touches my ear, and unmodified the 598 is easily more comfortable. I have modded my AD900, and now prefer it, and the incredibly light feel.

If you want something bright (Think: bright enough to make a TripleFi sound dark and muddy, or to make an Etymotic sound on the bass heavy side of neutral,) get the AD900. If you want something with a bit more mellow sound, warmth, and bass, get the HD598.

(Also note, the differences here aren't as huge as one might think. If you were to A/B with particular songs that didn't have plenty of treble and bass for a short period of time, you could easily think they were nearly identical based on midrange alone.)

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 14
What are anyone's thoughts on the DT990 Pro ( 250ohm) as this is actually cheaper than the 2 aforementioned cans. I've just heard that the treble is very fatiguing in which I would hate. I find my M50 harsh on some songs using symbals and the 'Sss' vocal sound pierces your ear.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 14
The claim that the dt 990's treble is fatiguing is correct, at least in my experience listening to them. It is very bright. But I had only a very short time to listen to them, do take that for what you will. If you find the m50's treble harsh, you might also find the ad900's treble to be harsher. The hd 598's are smoother in the treble, IMO.

If you are looking for a sound signature similar to the dt 990's, the dt 770 (pro 80ohm)'s are a cheaper, closed, less exaggerated version of the 990's (as in it has a v curve frequency response, but not as extreme as the 990's). It probably won't sound *objectively* as good as the 990's, but I feel that the 770s are a better hp overall compared to the m50's, for the most part (IMO).

tl;dr: the ad900s and 990s are both harsher in the treble than the m50. The 770s fit somewhere inbetween the quality of the m50s and the ad900/hd 598. (and the treble is, IMO, smoother than the m50s)

Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back