Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #2,371 of 7,535
Quote:
I have a question about HD 598. I bought a HD 598 from "accessoryjack.com" some time ago, and now observed a difference in my box.
The things written in my box are a little different from the usual that I find on google images. Mine's like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sennheiser-HD598-HIGH-END-Open-Circumaural-Headphone-HD-598-/400312312492

I think the site I brought is not and authorized dealer, since they don't send the warrant, but does anyone know if this is a reliable site? Or if the box differences are not important?
Is there any way I can make sure it's not a fake pair?

Yeah it does look different, but how does your headphones sound?
edit: Oh wait nevermind. The ones on google images are written in german. Ours is in english, my hd558 box looks pretty similar to the one you posted.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2,372 of 7,535
Quote:
Yeah it does look different, but how does your headphones sound?
edit: Oh wait nevermind. The ones on google images are written in german. Ours is in english, my hd558 box looks pretty similar to the one you posted.

Thanks for the reply. So, it looks to be just a question of where it is made.
Besides this, is there any way to make sure a HD 598 is legit? Like some sticker, or any particular sign?

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #2,373 of 7,535
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So, it looks to be just a question of where it is made.
Besides this, is there any way to make sure a HD 598 is legit? Like some sticker, or any particular sign?

I kind of doubt anyone would target these headphones, but i believe there should be a serial number and order number at the bottom.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,376 of 7,535
Ah good point. I usually use the above settings on aux from my iphone. When connected to optical and usb, usually two to three steps lower.

I haven't measured the volume at those levels unfortunately. But if you feel they are loud enough at your listening levels, don't change.

To get to my preferred volume level on any amp, i test diligently at various volumes over the course of days. I then settle on a volume for a headphone on a given amp.

I guess what i am really saying is trust your ears. :)

"Hi HZHeadcase, Thanks for your comment. I forgot to mention that I use 0dB gain at 25 volume level. When I set it at 6dB gain, the volume goes down to 22. I notice you use a relatively high volume, could you please explain how do you connect the source to the e17? (usb, optical, coaxial?) More or less, do you have any idea how loud are the HD598 when the volume is at 32 with 0dB gain? I was afraid that 25 was too loud to be healthy :) Thanks again, Daniel"

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,377 of 7,535
Hi everyone! 

This is my first post here and I was wondering if this would be a great upgrade from my current headphone, the hd 380 pro.
I am very interested in the open design as i've only owned closed headphones (hd 280 -> hd 380).

The source that I will be using is Creative Titanium HD. I don't plan on getting an amp as I prefer to keep it simple. And this will be strictly used at home.

I am also considering the hd 650, however from what I've gathered from me skimming through this thread is that the 598 has a bigger sound stage (I do game alot) and that the 598 is more "musical" (although not as technical). The price difference between 598 and 650 isnt too big of a deal, but it still has to be worth the difference to some degree.

Thanks!

Edit: Haha, nevermind guys/gals, I just bought it from RazorDogAudio : )

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,379 of 7,535
Apr 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2,380 of 7,535
Apr 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,381 of 7,535
Quote:

How do they sound versus stock? Notice any difference? Even in aesthetic I'm meaning.

I don't have them, yet.  They build them when ordered, and I suspect that they wait for a batch of orders to come in before they even start.  The rep in Japan told me I would have to wait for a month
blink.gif

Man, I could be on to new headphones by that time...  I will, for sure, post my findings when they arrive.  In the meantime, I am 'breaking in' new audio gear, so I have plenty to keep me busy (which reminds me, I need to update my signature with the new gear
L3000.gif
 )

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2,382 of 7,535
What? wait for a month? I hope it is worth for waiting. Another after-market cable is the Moon Audio cables but I still do not have enough money to purchase one. But I asked many people on head-fi and they stated that cables can make differences but do not hope that they can make your headphones become another headphone. Just changing the sound about 5-10%. By changing dacs and amp can make more differences.

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,383 of 7,535
Quote:
I have a question about HD 598. I bought a HD 598 from "accessoryjack.com" some time ago, and now observed a difference in my box.
The things written in my box are a little different from the usual that I find on google images. Mine's like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sennheiser-HD598-HIGH-END-Open-Circumaural-Headphone-HD-598-/400312312492

I think the site I brought is not and authorized dealer, since they don't send the warrant, but does anyone know if this is a reliable site? Or if the box differences are not important?
Is there any way I can make sure it's not a fake pair?

Accessoryjack is legit grey area goods. They legit, but probably some kind of Asian market packaging, which may differ from retail US versions. You sacrifice US warranty for cheaper price.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #2,384 of 7,535
Quote:
What? wait for a month? I hope it is worth for waiting. Another after-market cable is the Moon Audio cables but I still do not have enough money to purchase one. But I asked many people on head-fi and they stated that cables can make differences but do not hope that they can make your headphones become another headphone. Just changing the sound about 5-10%. By changing dacs and amp can make more differences.

Well, these are an order of magnitude lower in cost than the nice stuff at Moon Audio, which fits with the HD-598.  I am not thrilled about waiting for a month, but it is what it is... not really anyone else making after market cables for lower-end phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back