Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #2,341 of 7,535
Yes, i was so surprised when i received the Fiio E17 compared to my integrated soundcard, the difference is so huge, it's like i upgraded my cans to me, everything is so mych clear, impactfull, sharp, larger in soundstage, impressive how this little device can make the big difference.

598 with the E17 is good. But ther's another big jump in quality if you use a desktop amp like asgard. From there, asgard to higher level amp does not improve the 598 much more. But a proper desktop amp under $500 should give you a definite improvement over the fiio.

:)

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,342 of 7,535
I' in agreement with the asgard recommendation.  much better than any portable amp I have used.  In fact with the fact that they are open and respond better to the asgard, I have quit using mine as portable and confine them to my main system. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,344 of 7,535
Quote:
I' in agreement with the asgard recommendation.  much better than any portable amp I have used.  In fact with the fact that they are open and respond better to the asgard, I have quit using mine as portable and confine them to my main system. 

I have a similar issue... so, what are you using for more portable phones?

I love my 598s, but they are not convenient to carry around and people at work were making of fun of the '70s styling 
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,345 of 7,535
Quote:

I have a similar issue... so, what are you using for more portable phones?

I love my 598s, but they are not convenient to carry around and people at work were making of fun of the '70s styling 
wink.gif

70's styling? lol.

Did you atleast defend us? I would've made fun of their face, dogs, shoes, body smell, pretend girlfriends... or something.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,348 of 7,535
Quote:
70's styling? lol.

Did you atleast defend us? I would've made fun of their face, dogs, shoes, body smell, pretend girlfriends... or something.

I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, or somewhere else on Head-Fi, but a co-worker asked me if my phones (HD-598) were an old pair that I had borrowed from my dad - and he was being completely serious.

You have to admit, the style and color is, well, a little throw-back and not really in a good way.  I mean, beige with burl wood accents?  I am as sick of 'all black everything...' as the next guy, but c'mon 
L3000.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,349 of 7,535
Quote:

I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, or somewhere else on Head-Fi, but a co-worker asked me if my phones (HD-598) were an old pair that I had borrowed from my dad - and he was being completely serious.

You have to admit, the style and color is, well, a little throw-back and not really in a good way.  I mean, beige with burl wood accents?  I am as sick of 'all black everything...' as the next guy, but c'mon 
L3000.gif

I guess I'm just a sucker for that vintage look. I'm not that old I don't think (26)..

Personally. I love them. And the Koss Pro4AAs.. but that's for another thread :)

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,350 of 7,535
Got the 598 yesterday, finally! I seriously have yet to see more beautiful headphones. Sound is OK, can't really compare it to anything else but some Nokia headphones. But I couldn't hear a difference between FLAC and mp3... probably my ears, right guys?

edit: Tried youtube vs flac - there IS a difference, but can't say better or worse, just different.
edit2: Move along, there is some controversy about this.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,353 of 7,535
Hi all,

Could you please tell me, at which volume level do you listen to your HD598 when connected to the FIIO e17 (while using the DAC).

I connect my using the optical cable, and the volume I have it at is 25. Just want to confirm that I am not going to loss hearing due to the volume.

Daniel

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,355 of 7,535
Hi HZHeadcase, Thanks for your comment. I forgot to mention that I use 0dB gain at 25 volume level. When I set it at 6dB gain, the volume goes down to 22. I notice you use a relatively high volume, could you please explain how do you connect the source to the e17? (usb, optical, coaxial?) More or less, do you have any idea how loud are the HD598 when the volume is at 32 with 0dB gain? I was afraid that 25 was too loud to be healthy :) Thanks again, Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back