Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,356 of 7,535
Quote:
Got the 598 yesterday, finally! I seriously have yet to see more beautiful headphones. Sound is OK, can't really compare it to anything else but some Nokia headphones. But I couldn't hear a difference between FLAC and mp3... probably my ears, right guys?

edit: Tried youtube vs flac - there IS a difference, but can't say better or worse, just different.
edit2: Move along, there is some controversy about this.

Give it a couple of weeks... trust me on this one, you will seriously love the sound as you acclimate to your new phones.  I had the same initial reaction, after a year of listening to my Grado RS2i.  Now, I am using my 598s more than my Grados, which were more than double the price of the HD-598.  I'm still a Grado fanboy, but I am starting to understand why so many people love Sennheiser.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #2,357 of 7,535
Quote:

I get the 70s thing. They kind of remind me of my grandma's Mercury Brougham dashboard now that I think of it...

Yeah, that's it, with a metallic green paint job, beige landau top, beige pleather interior and brown velour carpeting.  It's the Sennheiser Signature Brougham!

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2,358 of 7,535
Quote:

Give it a couple of weeks... trust me on this one, you will seriously love the sound as you acclimate to your new phones.  I had the same initial reaction, after a year of listening to my Grado RS2i.  Now, I am using my 598s more than my Grados, which were more than double the price of the HD-598.  I'm still a Grado fanboy, but I am starting to understand why so many people love Sennheiser.

Wierd, we are opposites, the half-the-price-of-the-HD558 alessandros seem to keep me just as happy as their more expensive counterpart.
And i also understand why so many people like grados.
wink.gif
 (though regardless i love both)

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #2,359 of 7,535
Quote:
70's styling? lol.

Did you atleast defend us? I would've made fun of their face, dogs, shoes, body smell, pretend girlfriends... or something.

Quote:

I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, or somewhere else on Head-Fi, but a co-worker asked me if my phones (HD-598) were an old pair that I had borrowed from my dad - and he was being completely serious.

You have to admit, the style and color is, well, a little throw-back and not really in a good way.  I mean, beige with burl wood accents?  I am as sick of 'all black everything...' as the next guy, but c'mon 
L3000.gif

This made me laugh, RochRx7. I really love the 598 style. Not "all black everything" here, but I love my black Fidelio L1 too. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #2,360 of 7,535
Sq wise? (l1s)I was going to grab some hd598s but then I bought some ma900s. They sound great and all but the build is a little... Off. They creak (but only the right ear cup does it, and I'm 95% sure it's only mine that does it).

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,362 of 7,535

Great... I kinda want to mod my headphones now.  Paint the grills a nice dark green.  Or a nice dark-ish gold. 

Oh gad, please and document it with pics. I forget the thread but another guy "Dark Knighted" his AD700s a black/gray finish... like the AD500 (which I didn't know existed til it was mentioned in that thread) Although I love the 70s burly man in the woods flanel shirt axe look. Would be fun to see them don different colors just for the heck of it.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #2,366 of 7,535
Quote:
What is the album that you enjoy the most while using the HD598?

Mine would be Bob Marley and the Wailers "Legend". What is yours?

Right now, it's a toss-up between: Steven Wilson's 'The Raven That Refused To Sing' and The Doors 'Strange Days'.  The new high-res masters for the latter album are just amazing in the HD-598s.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #2,367 of 7,535
New Steven Wilson sounds insane on these. Also, I would just like to add that these unamped, with Flac on a rock boxed sansa clip + is the best sound I have ever experienced in my life....STOP making me want to get a desktop DAC!!!!!

Btw, I don't typically like pop rock but maroon 5s songs. About Jane is the best album I have heard on theses

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #2,368 of 7,535
Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds sounds great on the 598s.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,370 of 7,535
I have a question about HD 598. I bought a HD 598 from "accessoryjack.com" some time ago, and now observed a difference in my box.
The things written in my box are a little different from the usual that I find on google images. Mine's like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sennheiser-HD598-HIGH-END-Open-Circumaural-Headphone-HD-598-/400312312492

I think the site I brought is not and authorized dealer, since they don't send the warrant, but does anyone know if this is a reliable site? Or if the box differences are not important?
Is there any way I can make sure it's not a fake pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back