Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,117 of 7,534
People are choosing Sony over Sennheiser? 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,119 of 7,534
     Hello! So I just joined head-fi thanks to my interest in these. I've heard many great things about how it reproduces acoustical sound, but there is not as much on the sound for techno, mainly because the opinion seems to change per person. The difference with me, though, is that its not the bass I care for in the forms of electronic, whether that be dubstep or ambient. I really care about the presentation of the instruments themselves. A lot of electronic music seems to be produced for closed back headphones, so I do not know how they will fare on an open back. While I do like to experience some thud to the bass sometimes, I'm much more into the treble nowadays.

Another reason for my thinking that these would be a good choice is that my current headphones(HD 280s) just can not play rock music!  They just become so unmusical when put with rock. It plays certain more acoustical rock songs very well, though. They do very well with electronic music, so I love them for that... And, of course, the 280s block sound like no other headphone I've ever experienced. I, unlike most people, also don't see the 280s as playing classical music that well. There isn't the soundstage needed for classical/orchestral. I also spend time composing/producing music, so my headphones need to be able to work well with a more analytical mindset.

So, would people be able to give their opinions on the sound reproduction of electronic music? I've heard a few reviews say that the 598s become boring when placed with electronic, sometimes even lifeless. Any suggestions?

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #2,120 of 7,534
Quote:
     Hello! So I just joined head-fi thanks to my interest in these. I've heard many great things about how it reproduces acoustical sound, but there is not as much on the sound for techno, mainly because the opinion seems to change per person. The difference with me, though, is that its not the bass I care for in the forms of electronic, whether that be dubstep or ambient. I really care about the presentation of the instruments themselves. A lot of electronic music seems to be produced for closed back headphones, so I do not know how they will fare on an open back. While I do like to experience some thud to the bass sometimes, I'm much more into the treble nowadays.

Another reason for my thinking that these would be a good choice is that my current headphones(HD 280s) just can not play rock music!  They just become so unmusical when put with rock. It plays certain more acoustical rock songs very well, though. They do very well with electronic music, so I love them for that... And, of course, the 280s block sound like no other headphone I've ever experienced. I, unlike most people, also don't see the 280s as playing classical music that well. There isn't the soundstage needed for classical/orchestral. I also spend time composing/producing music, so my headphones need to be able to work well with a more analytical mindset.

So, would people be able to give their opinions on the sound reproduction of electronic music? I've heard a few reviews say that the 598s become boring when placed with electronic, sometimes even lifeless. Any suggestions?

I'd have to say that while electronic music doesn't sound particularly bad on the HD598, there are other headphones that fare much better. If it's treble you want, the sparkling highs and fantastic instrument separation of the Q701 works well with electronic (after EQing up the low end a few db). The HD598's treble is a little more laid back and it has very little bass impact. It can sound a little boring with electronic at times.

The 598 is a fantastic headphone but I don't think EDM plays to its strong points.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #2,121 of 7,534
Quote:

I haven't heard the 280s so i can't compare them to the 598s, but i would assume that the 598s are much better for rock. I know i loved them with rock when i owned them. However, i don't think they are that great for electronic music as there isn't enough bass slam. I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are lifeless, but they certainly do not excel in that area.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #2,122 of 7,534
Quote:
I haven't heard the 280s so i can't compare them to the 598s, but i would assume that the 598s are much better for rock. I know i loved them with rock when i owned them. However, i don't think they are that great for electronic music as there isn't enough bass slam. I wouldn't go as far as saying that they are lifeless, but they certainly do not excel in that area.

+1
598 doesn't have that aggressive treble and punchy bass. They are a rather laid back headphone. Grado might be a better option.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,123 of 7,534
Quote:

Hi!

I own the HD598 for 2 years now and drive them trough an NuForce icon HDP and Schiit Asgard. For Rock, Classic, Vocal heavy and sometimes Electronic (even Industrial/EBM) I like them, heck I love them, however, especially for the Electronic parts when you want more bass, I revert to my Ultrasone Pro750 and it's hard to fault the punchy bass there, perfect for that genre in my opinion. I drive them in my office with a Schiit Valhalla. For everything else (including gaming strangely) I prefer the HD598. However, recently electronic is my favorite genre So the Ultrasone gets a lot of ear time....

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,124 of 7,534
Oh, boy, it doesn't look like I was clear at all on what I want in my headphones... I definitely do NOT want strong bass in my headphones. My 280s feel like they have a good enough amount of bass, and checking Frequency response charts, the 598s have even more bass, just not as much sub bass. The 598s also have more treble in places then the HD 280s. From 7 khz to 11 khz, the 280s have more treble, but the 598s are mostly higher everywhere else. In fact, the 280s pretty much roll off after 12 khz, so I don't know how I would handle all that extra treble. The Q701s just have so much extra treble, too, I don't think I could stand it. In fact, even on the HD 280s, it sounds more natural for me to EQ the treble down some, so to me the 598s might be pretty bright. Then again, it could easily be that crazy bump at 10 khz on the 280s that makes it not very natural to my ears. When I said I wanted strong treble, I meant in a detailed and beautiful sounding way, not having more of it. Same goes for bass, too. I want bass that sounds great to my ears, not bass that is overpowering.

So, considering how strange my ears are, would the 598s still be a good choice? I'm starting to think the 650s might be some of the best headphones for me, but I can't afford an amp to go with them, or the 598s. And here lies another problem with my choices, it would take some very impressive persuasion skills to convince me to get anything besides Sennheiser. I'm one of those people who gains strong brand loyalties, and especially considering this laid back sound is exactly what I want out of my headphones, it gets that much harder.

Oh, checking the 650's FR, its very close to the 280s, yet much more smooth and natural... I guess it would be better to find something similar to the 650s then (but cheaper)? They have a ton of bass, though, it looks like...

Edit: So, comparing the 650s (being similar to the 280s in FR) to the 598s, the differences would be between 1 KHZ and 8 KHZ. between 1 and 3 khz, the 650s are louder, and between 3 khz and 8 khz, the 598 is louder.
One good thing is there is a store about 30 minutes away I have found that has a lot of the Sennheiser and grados headphones for auditioning, but I won't be able to get to that store for at least a month or two.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2,125 of 7,534
Quote:
Oh, boy, it doesn't look like I was clear at all on what I want in my headphones... I definitely do NOT want strong bass in my headphones. My 280s feel like they have a good enough amount of bass, and checking Frequency response charts, the 598s have even more bass, just not as much sub bass. The 598s also have more treble in places then the HD 280s. From 7 khz to 11 khz, the 280s have more treble, but the 598s are mostly higher everywhere else. In fact, the 280s pretty much roll off after 12 khz, so I don't know how I would handle all that extra treble. The Q701s just have so much extra treble, too, I don't think I could stand it. In fact, even on the HD 280s, it sounds more natural for me to EQ the treble down some, so to me the 598s might be pretty bright. Then again, it could easily be that crazy bump at 10 khz on the 280s that makes it not very natural to my ears. When I said I wanted strong treble, I meant in a detailed and beautiful sounding way, not having more of it. Same goes for bass, too. I want bass that sounds great to my ears, not bass that is overpowering.

So, considering how strange my ears are, would the 598s still be a good choice? I'm starting to think the 650s might be some of the best headphones for me, but I can't afford an amp to go with them, or the 598s. And here lies another problem with my choices, it would take some very impressive persuasion skills to convince me to get anything besides Sennheiser. I'm one of those people who gains strong brand loyalties, and especially considering this laid back sound is exactly what I want out of my headphones, it gets that much harder.

Oh, checking the 650's FR, its very close to the 280s, yet much more smooth and natural... I guess it would be better to find something similar to the 650s then (but cheaper)? They have a ton of bass, though, it looks like...

Edit: So, comparing the 650s (being similar to the 280s in FR) to the 598s, the differences would be between 1 KHZ and 8 KHZ. between 1 and 3 khz, the 650s are louder, and between 3 khz and 8 khz, the 598 is louder.
One good thing is there is a store about 30 minutes away I have found that has a lot of the Sennheiser and grados headphones for auditioning, but I won't be able to get to that store for at least a month or two.

You are basing too much off the frequency response charts. The HD280 is a closed can, and therefore has much punchier bass. Coming from that, the 598 may seem a little shy on bass due to lack of impact, though it is beautifully textured and balanced. Since you say you aren't looking for strong bass, that shouldn't be a problem. However, it can make electronic music seem like it is lacking some depth.

The 598 is one of the brighter Sennheiser headphones, though I would never classify it as a bright headphone. Its treble is well balanced and never sibilant or harsh. If you think it may be too bright for you, the 650 may be what you are looking for. The 598 undoubtedly has the more forward highs between the two.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #2,126 of 7,534
Quote:

598 does have much treble. It is neutral. 650 will have warm and strong bass. Don't use a graph as a indication of a headphone's sound sig. Many graphs are smoothened and altered. It is best to just hear the headphones before buying them.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #2,127 of 7,534
Quote:

I wouldn't think of the 598's as having too much treble or being overly bright at all. I haven't listened to a ton-o-cans to compare them to but I find them to be rather polite.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2,130 of 7,534
Holy!!! I plugged these into my pioneer vsx-1021 av receiver and played smack my b**** up  !!!!!!
L3000.gif
!!!!!!

Thought I would give it a try since the jack fits and all. Wow!! Now I know why some of you travel with amp/dac. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this thread. These cans are my 4 ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back