Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #2,146 of 7,535
Quote:
Yeah I knew what you meant, but ive heard that the hd558s are a massive improvement to the hd555 modded. Im not worrying about price though. Im drawn to the hd598 only because of looks and soundstage, although one guy who did a review on the ma900 said they were an improvement in presentation, so really im just drawn to the look. Hmph, they probably dont have enough bass for me anyway, unless.one of you guys convince me otherwise that theyre great for r&b and jrock/pop (Ne-Yo and FLOW respectly) .

I can't convince you of that. The bass is subtle, but tight. EQing is a must if you want a good dose. The clarity and soundstage is what I love about them, but I will put on my UE 6000, and go awe there is bass after using the 598s for a bit. The 598s are so damn lush for vocals they give my goosebumps the majority of time I wear them. I think indie rock and pop rock sounds amazing on them, not R&B or Rap

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #2,147 of 7,535
I can't convince you of that. The bass is subtle, but tight. EQing is a must if you want a good dose. The clarity and soundstage is what I love about them, but I will put on my UE 6000, and go awe there is bass after using the 598s for a bit

I always eq my cans so that wouldnt be a problem but it still seems that the bass is unsatisfactory. Well whatevs. Thanks for your help.

I like the sr80is but they definitly need more bass.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2,149 of 7,535
Quote:
I always eq my cans so that wouldnt be a problem but it still seems that the bass is unsatisfactory. Well whatevs. Thanks for your help.

I feel you. I use the eq too and with the HD558 being modded it is hard to get the bass to sound hard and fistful as my other pair of hd202. It is just too gentle and subtle.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,151 of 7,535
Quote:
Ive heard the hd 201 or 202 and I though it was a bass monster. You see, bass monsters I can handle, bass light cans are a problem though.

Its the HD202, the HD201 is rather anemic.
Its always hard to change a headphone into something else, the outcome would not sound as good as just mild fixes to the sound imperfections.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,152 of 7,535
Quote:

+99 Tannerbnd

If you are looking for more a bit more bass without sacrificing.. UE6000's will not disappoint.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,153 of 7,535
I thought this was hilarious and relevant to the HD598 thread.. probably the best description for HD598's sex appeal:

kwadguy L9: Master

rank8.png

1. Member sinceJun 2006
  2. Posts4,257
  3. Reputation 1,267
  4. Followers 0
+ Give Rep + Follow

Quote from scroller52 :
is this a slickdeal...?? 170 for headphones is still quite a bit of money ahha

kwadgauy: Don't comment if you don't understand. These have burl wood accents. Burl wood is the closest material in nature to the composition of cochlea of the inner ear. This produces resonances that standard headphones cannot possibly replicate. If you combine those with green marker on the rims of your CDs and oxygen free cables, you will hear music that is, quite literally, more lifelike than the original recording. Or if you prefer mp3s, 128kbps will sound like 320kbps with these headphones. The resonances produced by the burl wood literally increase the effective bit rate. There is a warning on the headphone package that the super-lifelike reproduction of these headphones can cause epileptic seizures in some people.

Pollution has killed off all but a small number of the burl trees from which burl wood is obtained. As a result, it is extremely rare and expensive, and that is why you almost never see it used for headphones.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,154 of 7,535
Quote:
I thought this was hilarious and relevant to the HD598 thread.. probably the best description for HD598's sex appeal:

kwadguy L9: Master

rank8.png

1. Member sinceJun 2006
  2. Posts4,257
  3. Reputation 1,267
  4. Followers 0
+ Give Rep + Follow

Quote from scroller52 :
is this a slickdeal...?? 170 for headphones is still quite a bit of money ahha

kwadgauy: Don't comment if you don't understand. These have burl wood accents. Burl wood is the closest material in nature to the composition of cochlea of the inner ear. This produces resonances that standard headphones cannot possibly replicate. If you combine those with green marker on the rims of your CDs and oxygen free cables, you will hear music that is, quite literally, more lifelike than the original recording. Or if you prefer mp3s, 128kbps will sound like 320kbps with these headphones. The resonances produced by the burl wood literally increase the effective bit rate. There is a warning on the headphone package that the super-lifelike reproduction of these headphones can cause epileptic seizures in some people.

Pollution has killed off all but a small number of the burl trees from which burl wood is obtained. As a result, it is extremely rare and expensive, and that is why you almost never see it used for headphones.

this is hilarious
biggrin.gif

(but sounds just like dr.dre...)

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,155 of 7,535
I own a  pair of 555's and a pair of 650's, I was not even slightly interested in obtaining a pair of 598's but then a pair came up on the cheap and I bought them. lol!  I am burning them in as I write this and I will be back after I take a nice long listen.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,156 of 7,535
Hi all,

I just return from work today. I got the headphones last Saturday, so I listen a little music during the weeked, but was not very surprise by the phones "out of the box" (mainly because I have a pair of 558, and the sound is very similar).

But today, I left the headphones burn a little in with a pink noise at low volume level while at work (12 hours)... and... they changed, for good!

Daniel

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2,158 of 7,535
Quote:
Hi all,

I just return from work today. I got the headphones last Saturday, so I listen a little music during the weeked, but was not very surprise by the phones "out of the box" (mainly because I have a pair of 558, and the sound is very similar).

But today, I left the headphones burn a little in with a pink noise at low volume level while at work (12 hours)... and... they changed, for good!

Daniel

Congrats. Still haven't found anything under $500 I enjoy more than the 598s.

Quote:
Would you recommend it knowing I already have a HD 25-II ?

You'd do better to list the genres of music you listen to, your intended usage, etc etc.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #2,159 of 7,535
Got a chance to take a good listen to mine, very nice all around can. IMO they dont have the depth or overall smoothness of my 650's (really didnt think they would) but they are quite a bit of a step up from my 555's and if memory serves from my old 595's.

I think where these are really gonna shine for me is late night movie watching, my receiver has headphone surround processing and thats mainly what I have used the 555's for but now I am excited to try these. These are quite dynamic and precise so im hoping to be blown away. I plan on watching Cabin in the Woods tonight, very dynamic soundtrack so it should be a good test.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,160 of 7,535
I just bougth compulsively a Denon DCD 510 AE CD Player. I mean compulsively because I did not wait to read anything about the CD Player on the Internet (the price was very good). It sounds really well. Have you got any impressions of this CD Player, specially if paired with the 598?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back