Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #2,131 of 7,535
Quote:
Holy!!! I plugged these into my pioneer vsx-1021 av receiver and played smack my b**** up  !!!!!!
L3000.gif
!!!!!!

Thought I would give it a try since the jack fits and all. Wow!! Now I know why some of you travel with amp/dac. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this thread. These cans are my 4 ever!

I just realized that your profile pic has the HD598 the wrong way around.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,132 of 7,535
Quote:
What is it about the headphones sound you don't like? Is it the soundstage? I had to get used to them after my Grados which don't really have a soundstage, I love the HD598 with ambient music I think they shine with that genre

I know this is an old post... but I had to "+1" that statement.  I am a die-hard Grado fan (RS2i), and I've had to adjust, as well.  I recently bought the HD598 and listen to a lot Steve Roach and was blown away at how much I enjoyed "The Magnificent Void" and "Dynamic Stillness" with these phones.  Really incredible.  I just wish I could get past what Opeth sounds like, but that's why they make headphone racks that hold more than one pair.

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #2,133 of 7,535
These headphones are the first real pairs I've purchased and are my entrance to the audiophile world. The first thing I was most surprised about was how open these headphones are, but that was made up for by the soundstage of these headphones. I had no idea I could enjoy music this much, I just wish they were a little bit more closed so I could listen to them anywhere, anytime. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #2,134 of 7,535
Hi!

Somebody could tell me how to approximately calculate the dB that are coming out of the headphones when paired directly with an Ipod Classic (the las version of the Ipod Classic), without amp?

Also, I have not found on the Internet how to approximately estimate the dB at, lets say, 80% of the volume bar. Is it linear? If at a 100% volume one has 100 dB, at 80% volume (acc. to the volume bar), does one have 80 dB?

Best Regards,

Daniel

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #2,135 of 7,535
Hi!

Somebody could tell me how to approximately calculate the dB that are coming out of the headphones when paired directly with an Ipod Classic (the las version of the Ipod Classic), without amp?

Also, I have not found on the Internet how to approximately estimate the dB at, lets say, 80% of the volume bar. Is it linear? If at a 100% volume one has 100 dB, at 80% volume (acc. to the volume bar), does one have 80 dB?

Best Regards,

Daniel

There are a lot of variables to consider. Like the impedance, sensitivity, and output power of your ipod. Also, how you put on your headphone changes the intensity of sound. That being said, calculating dB is not really that simple. Simplest way would be to use a measuring device or comparing the intensity of the sound from your headphone to other sounds, like a normal talking voice, which is around 60dB.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,136 of 7,535
Quote:
Hi!

Best Regards,

Daniel

also depends to some degree the music you are putting through it, and no DB is not linear. you should try to close your eyes and imagine if you are sitting in front of speakers, how loud would that be? and compare to some examples of db calibration charts. talking is 60 db, blender at 3 feet is 85 db or so.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #2,137 of 7,535
I think the outpower of the Ipod is 30 mW per channel, the sensivity of the headphones is 102 dB, impedance is 50 Ohms. I just want to estimate a safe level of listening. I enjoy well the music when the volume bar is at 80% more or less, but for some kind of music I tend to increase the volume (nirvana i.e.).

It is also unknown to me if my Ipod has a volume cap because I live in Europe and here is weird regulation, but I do not know if it applies to my Ipod, and how it applies.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #2,138 of 7,535
Quote:
I think the outpower of the Ipod is 30 mW per channel, the sensivity of the headphones is 102 dB, impedance is 50 Ohms. I just want to estimate a safe level of listening. I enjoy well the music when the volume bar is at 80% more or less, but for some kind of music I tend to increase the volume (nirvana i.e.).

It is also unknown to me if my Ipod has a volume cap because I live in Europe and here is weird regulation, but I do not know if it applies to my Ipod, and how it applies.

If the volume limit is applied, you are enjoying a safe level, but if it's not, 80% seems like you are pushing the limits.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,139 of 7,535
Recordings are mastered at wildly different levels too. Only a sound measuring device will be accurate.

One technique to preserve your hearing is to start at what you think is a comfortable level. If after a few minutes you find yourself tempted to make it louder because it seems too quiet, then it was too loud to begin with and you should turn it down.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2,142 of 7,535
Quote:
You guys are way too convincing, then you add the beautiful design... I want the ma900s or SR325i but man i'm sure tempted to grab a pair of these!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181107163556?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

you might want to look at these, extremely similar(i haven't heard but some people say there is no difference).....these have been molded to be the same as the 598, in perfect condition and $95 bucks.....I was thinking about picking up these just to have another pair

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181107163556?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #2,143 of 7,535
Quote:

you might want to look at these, extremely similar(i haven't heard but some people say there is no difference).....these have been molded to be the same as the 598, in perfect condition and $95 bucks.....I was thinking about picking up these just to have another pair

do you mean foam modded? it would be same to HD595 then. 
Probably a good value, but the HD598 would provide better clarity, soundstage and absolute performance.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #2,145 of 7,535
Yes the foam modded, sorry should have been more clear....there isn't going to be too much difference, very minor

Yeah I knew what you meant, but ive heard that the hd558s are a massive improvement to the hd555 modded. Im not worrying about price though. Im drawn to the hd598 only because of looks and soundstage, although one guy who did a review on the ma900 said they were an improvement in presentation, so really im just drawn to the look. Hmph, they probably dont have enough bass for me anyway, unless.one of you guys convince me otherwise that theyre great for r&b and jrock/pop (Ne-Yo and FLOW respectly) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back