Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,816 of 7,535
Quote:
  • I had read some on this site looking for a shorter 3.5mm cable for mobile use.  I personally contacted Sennheiser USA and had them custom a 3' vresion with a 90degree 3.5mm jack.  This jack is the best 3.5mm jack I've ever seen, solid metal casing and works very well with the stock cable which they use to do the customizing.  Mind you $50 for cable, customizing and shipping is a bit pricey but worth it IMHO.
  • I saw the picture of the Oyaide cables in the article  FujiyaAvic 2012 Autumn Headphone Festival in Tokyo report by Currawong  .  I contacted them and they provided me right away with a Canadian Distributor, Planet of Sound in Toronto. 

This is what they provided for those who wish to know:
   We have just released the HPC-35/62HD598 headphone re-cables for Sennheiser HD598.
   35 stands for the cable with 3.5mm mini phone plug and 62 stands for the cable with 1/4" phone plug.
   You can get it through our authorized dealers in Canada soon.
   Please contact our Canadian distributor, they will help you how to get it.
   their e-mail address is info@planetofsounddistribution.com .

But please remember that the cable length is only available with 1.3 m (about 4' 3") or 2.5 m ( about 8' 2").
   So you can't order 10' length one. ( about 3.0 m).

Great Info! These cables just came in for where I live! I'm almost certainly going to buy one!

For the others: http://www.oyaide.com/audio/press_files/pdf/HPC_HD598_info_JP.pdf

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,817 of 7,535
Ordered these for Christmas! Should get here by Monday. Thought it was a great deal for 199 off amazon. Really excited!

My V moda M80s are great for pretty much anything, especially electronic music, but I wanted something for acoustic stuff (acoustic is a BROAD term encompassing piano, ac guitar, violin etc), and especially movies games (gotta have that soundstage). Hopefully these will live up! 

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #1,818 of 7,535
I've had my 598s for about a month now but I'm feeling that the soundstage is a bit lacking, I'm kind of 'new to the game' so to speak but I feel like everything feels kind of tight together. I am generally using it un-amped. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,820 of 7,535
Mine should be here on Monday as well. Right now I have the HD515 running thru a Yarland P-100 2008 Edition and they sound pretty great. I'm sure the HD598 will put the HD515s to shame.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,823 of 7,535
Quote:
Well what do you recommend, I've only had the opportunity to listen to low bit rate streaming services and as I said earlier I don't use an amp.

How many hours do you have on them? I say at least 40 hours to break them in. If you have at least 40 hours on them and you still feel this way, I think you should look into buying an amp and see where this leads. If you still do not like them, at least you have an amp and then start looking for some other headphones.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #1,824 of 7,535
How many hours do you have on them? I say at least 40 hours to break them in. If you have at least 40 hours on them and you still feel this way, I think you should look into buying an amp and see where this leads.

If you still dont like them, then look into buying a DAC. If you still dont like them, then the amp probably has bad synergy so you should buy a different amp. If you still dont like them, then your DAC probably isnt good enough so you should buy a different one. Then if you still dont like them, you should recable them. If you still dont like them, then replace your interconnects. If you still dont like them, then upgrade your power supply and replace the fuses in your amp. Lift the interconnects off the counter with beachwood blocks and sit in a Buddhist meditation position.

If none of that works, sell everything and start over :wink:

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #1,826 of 7,535
amping and dac should improve the soundstage, i find that when i use it on my phone the soundstage is generally narrower than when i use it on my laptop

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,827 of 7,535
Quote:
I've had my 598s for about a month now but I'm feeling that the soundstage is a bit lacking, I'm kind of 'new to the game' so to speak but I feel like everything feels kind of tight together. I am generally using it un-amped. 

Are you used to speakers? The HD598 has the best soundstage I've heard, with very good imaging and separation of instruments. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back