Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,787 of 7,535
The HD 598 is efficient and easy to drive. If you like the way they sound plugged directly into your source, then an amp will not make a "significant" difference. The exception, of course, being an amp that is poorly engineered or purposely colored.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,790 of 7,535
I just received my 598's in the mail today! I decided to go with these because of what I read on this thread. My only concern was the bass. But so far, it seems perfect! I could probably go as far as saying it has a LITTLE too much...

That could just be my set-up? FLAC>FLAC Player (app)>ipod touch 4g>598

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,791 of 7,535
Quote:
I just received my 598's in the mail today! I decided to go with these because of what I read on this thread. My only concern was the bass. But so far, it seems perfect! I could probably go as far as saying it has a LITTLE too much...

You are probably used to bass light headphones or poor earbuds with bad extension (meaning you can't hear some of the bass) 

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,792 of 7,535
Quote:

The first thing I complained about was too little bass on these headphones. After over 30 hours of use with these, I find these headphones to be near-perfect with it's soundstage, and it's bass to be just right on many tracks, even though it sounds light on more bass-heavy music.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,793 of 7,535
Sennheiser HD598 for $209 + Free $30 Gift Card

Not the best deal on HD598, as they've been ~$170 last year, but this is the best deal on these for a long time. You need to add the gift card to your order in the "Special Products and Promotions" section.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,794 of 7,535
Is the bass notably lower on 598 than the 558 model? I've heard that the 558 has a little more powerful bass, but not so good mids and highs. Can anyone confirm this? As I'm still undecided (been like 2 weeks of reading about these 2 headphones). 

Thanks

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,795 of 7,535
This are very clear, great headphones.  I do have 2 complaints.  One is they leak a ton, and two they are a little bass light.
I have a week or so to decide if I can still keep these.  I'm wondering if there's a better pair of head phones that have more base, yet still have crystal clear sound that hits all the highs and mid AND still have the awesome soundstage these cans have?

Any suggestions.  I really don't want to pay much more than $225.
Thanks

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,798 of 7,535
Quote:
This are very clear, great headphones.  I do have 2 complaints.  One is they leak a ton, and two they are a little bass light.
I have a week or so to decide if I can still keep these.  I'm wondering if there's a better pair of head phones that have more base, yet still have crystal clear sound that hits all the highs and mid AND still have the awesome soundstage these cans have?

Thanks

I hope that maybe someone can prove me wrong but for around the same price as the 598's you'll have to compromise something, most likely soundstage, in return for isolation and better bass that can be found in closed cans. 

Hit up the recommendations thread for some ideas. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,799 of 7,535
Quote:

Thanks

I never heard them, but you could look into the Ultrasone HFI-2400.  They are open Ultrasone cans, so they should have that nice bass, and bright highs.  Of course the mids may be a bit recessed... Not sure how awesome the soundstage is, but the HFI-580 has proven to be decent enough despite it being closed.  Also should cost about 200-250.

As for finding what you want?  Unicorn.  You want it all for only 200.  While that would be nice I do think that Walden is right.  You are going to have to sacrifice something for more bass.  In this case sound stage.  I might be wrong... 

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #1,800 of 7,535
Quote:
The HD 558 has more bass, is cheaper, and has most of everything of the HD 598. You will still have leakage though.

More leakage than the 598 or the same? And by leakage it means that others can hear the sound as well? I don't really mind that as they are going to be for home use in my room anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back