Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #1,396 of 7,535
Quote:
thanks. think the shure sr884 or krk 8400 can compete with a hd558/598?

another possibility is the sony mdrv6 or brainwavz hm5. im looking for a neutral critical listener, open or closed back. circumaural for around $150

will i be dissapointed going to any of these from a hd598? i have a pair of k240s and the hd598 are clearly better

For 150.00, I think the SRH840 or the KRK 8400 is your best bet.  Especially if you're searching for neutral, revealing headphone to critically analyze music.

May 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,398 of 7,535
Quote:
i want to hear the drums and the cymbals clearly over everything else, and the tempo that the cymbals are being played at, whether it be quarter notes, 8th notes, etc.

You likely don't want the 840 then or the Senns.  You should find a U shaped phone, possibly a Denon, HFI580 or M50.

May 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,399 of 7,535
Bought my 598s before the prices spiked back to MSRP shortly after Christmas. Best headphones I've had. My Grado 225i comes tomorrow, but I speculate the 598s will outperform them in the lows and for certain genres, and probably soundstage. Love 'em to death, they're amazing! Doubt I'll ever sell them.

May 18, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,401 of 7,535
Quote:
the 840s look like they have extended bass, but they dont have "boosted" highs? i was hoping they did, it seemed like a good choice. i want to stay realtivly close to neutral, and my friend said another possibility is the dt250

also of the ultrasones, which is the best?

the hfi 580, 680, or 780? (theyre all the same price for some reason) or the pro550?

If you're looking for neutrality, then I'd would not suggest any of the Ultrasone line.  Their sound signature is a bit more V-shaped, though a fun signature for a lot genres.  The 840 is bit on the warm and lush side(slight mid to lower midrange emphasis), as well as a slightly boosted lower treble.  It's revealing and balanced enough that instruments and other details are present while still sounding natural.

May 18, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #1,402 of 7,535
Quote:

If you're looking for neutrality, then I'd would not suggest any of the Ultrasone line.  Their sound signature is a bit more V-shaped,

I thought it was clear he wasn't.  "I want to hear drums and cymbals over everything else".  Btw, have you heard the HFI580? It's more neutral than the M50. Actually I think it's the only Ultrasone I think that 'works'.

FWIW I consider the bass of the 840 rather unimpressive.  Sounded rather one note from what I recall.

May 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #1,405 of 7,535
Quote:
if you guys could please help me here so i can get this out of the hd598 apprecition thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/610511/closed-over-ear-around-150-relatively-neutral#post_8391001

nobody has replied to my last question. if any of you know, it would be amazing. of the phones im looking at, i think all of them will be more    v-shaped than my hd598, so i dont want to go extemely v-shaped, just mildly. so what it really comes down to is which speaker is the best quality, has the best detail, seperation, naturalness. my best bet would be a d2000, but unfortunately thats out of my price range :frowning2:

the runner ups are listed in my last post. many thanks

Maybe something from Beyerdynamic? They have some good v shaped ones. Don't know what your price range is tho.

May 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #1,406 of 7,535
Quote:
I had my Senns HD598 from december, now I noticed cracks on headband.
Send them to repair 11.04.2012, and still waiting 
frown.gif

Dang. I hope they get them back to you soon. Sennheiser took forever to replace my PX100-II. I hope they don't take very much longer with your's. Have you contacted them to see why it's taking so long? 

May 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,408 of 7,535
Are you get them repaired or replaced?

I've got mine replaced, and so far i don't have problems with them, hopefuly it will stay that way.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,409 of 7,535
Hey guys. Would appreciate some help.

I've already bought the 598s and I'm not too impressed with them. I think this has more to do with my laptop than the headphones themselves, though; ever since I made the transition to Ubuntu my sound has been acting oddly. When I increase or decrease the volume on the volume bar there are huge leaps in sound--if I move the slider a little bit to the right it gets incredibly loud, and when I move the slider to the left I can hardly hear anything. I captured a screenshot of it:

Anything past the line on the left, I can't hear anything. Anything on or past the line on the right is painfully loud.

What's worse is that I feel like I can't make out any detail when I listen to my music without turning up the sound, which is fatiguing and too loud. I use FLAC files, for reference.

Not really sure what to do. Actually plugging my headphones into my Galaxy SII is more enjoyable than listening on my laptop. Any suggestions?

I was also planning on buying a DAC/amp, so maybe now is the best time. I'm seriously considering the HRT HeadStreamer II or the FiiO E17. Is this a good solution for the 598s?

Thanks for any help.

May 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,410 of 7,535
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like a driver issue.  What Ubuntu considers 0-100% volume is not matching the sound card's range.  Getting a DAC/AMP and using USB out might bypass this problem.

I use my PC, USB > E17 > HD598 and love it.  The E17 has more power than the 598s need.  I have Gain at 0 and volume usually no louder than 35 (out of 60).  I use Bass +2, everything else flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back