Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,411 of 7,535
+1 for 598 with E17, they 598 is great with E17.

foobar2000->RPGWiZaRD's (laidback setup)->E17->598 = Heaven

May 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,412 of 7,535
Quote:
+1 for 598 with E17, they 598 is great with E17.

foobar2000->RPGWiZaRD's (laidback setup)->E17->598 = Heaven

I've heard this so many times, but I've never been able to accept that buying a small box around the same price as my actual headphones will make a detectable difference worth the price tag. 

For now I'll stick with my  Foobar2000 --> Headphone out --> 598

May 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,413 of 7,535
Quote:
I've heard this so many times, but I've never been able to accept that buying a small box around the same price as my actual headphones will make a detectable difference worth the price tag. 

For now I'll stick with my  Foobar2000 --> Headphone out --> 598

In a case like mine, where the hardware I'm working with is actually degrading the quality of the music I hear, I think it's definitely worth it to invest in some extra equipment. YMMV.

May 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #1,415 of 7,535
Quote:
Are you get them repaired or replaced?

I've got mine replaced, and so far i don't have problems with them, hopefuly it will stay that way.
bigsmile_face.gif

Repaired.
They replace the headband. And they look just like new unit 
smily_headphones1.gif

I am glad, that I have them back.

May 25, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #1,416 of 7,535
My first impressions:

The truth is that I expected a lot from this headphones and they are not ultra-impressive compared to my Apple in-ear earphones. I find that they sound very clear but bass is lacking is some songs (and I am not a basshead). In other songs where I didn't expect bass, there is some and very good sonding. Also, I had read that these headphones were very confortable when using them with glasses, but personally I can't wear them for too long because (I don't know if it is because of my glasses) they start to annoy a little. Maybe with the time I'll get used to it, but I expected more after expending 160€ on these. 

UPDATE: I have to admit that they have improved with the time. In my second day with them I feel that the 598 have a more noticiable bass and sound good with almost any kind of musical genre (specially acoustic and instrumental music), anyway, I found a little lack of bass compared to my in-ear Apple earphones. Regarding to the comfort, these headphones are very soft and confortable, the problem I have is more because of my glasses (they hurt when I wear them for long periods of time, even without headphones... :/). Summarizing: these headphones sound great with any kind of genre, but you may find that it lacks A FEW MORE of bass compared to other headphones in electronic music. 

May 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,417 of 7,535
Quote:
My first impressions:

The truth is that I expected a lot from this headphones and they are not ultra-impressive compared to my Apple in-ear earphones. I find that they sound very clear but bass is lacking is some songs (and I am not a basshead). In other songs where I didn't expect bass, there is some and very good sonding. Also, I had read that these headphones were very confortable when using them with glasses, but personally I can't wear them for too long because (I don't know if it is because of my glasses) they start to annoy a little. Maybe with the time I'll get used to it, but I expected more after expending 160€ on these. 

UPDATE: I have to admit that they have improved with the time. In my second day with them I feel that the 598 have a more noticiable bass and sound good with almost any kind of musical genre (specially acoustic and instrumental music), anyway, I found a little lack of bass compared to my in-ear Apple earphones. Regarding to the comfort, these headphones are very soft and confortable, the problem I have is more because of my glasses (they hurt when I wear them for long periods of time, even without headphones... :/). Summarizing: these headphones sound great with any kind of genre, but you may find that it lacks A FEW MORE of bass compared to other headphones in electronic music. 

I was initially disappointed with bass too. This is true for me on all Sennheiser headphones I have owned (which until now have all been non-hi-fi Senn models). They lack impact. After 3 days everything sounded sweeter and I was surprised that the sound improved as it did. The sound stage opens up and that should make the difference between these and earbuds extremely clear.

May 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #1,418 of 7,535
Quote:
My first impressions:

You are comparing these to the Apple in-ears?

May 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,419 of 7,535
Quote:
You are comparing these to the Apple in-ears?

Yep, I think the Apple In-Ear Headphones (http://www.apple.com/ipod/in-ear-headphones/) are pretty underappreciated, they song surprisingly good with electronic music. Regarding the 598's, they are improving each day indeed: bass sounds a lot better now and I find that they're getting a bit warmer with the time. 

May 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,421 of 7,535
Yeah, I agree with you. They sound similar but it its true that with the use and burning my HD598 had improved and bass is now a lot better than the addiem's. The difference is that the sound of the addiems (I imagine that because they are an in-ear earphone) sounds closer to you, while the HD598 (maybe because of its soundstage) sound a little more far. Anyway, I'm satiesfied with both and specially with the 598's, since with the use are sounding day by day better. 

May 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #1,422 of 7,535
hi guys, just had a quick question about the hd598s. Basically, how are they for gaming? I've heard that they are excellent for competitive gaming as they have nearly pin-point directional accuracy (is this true?), but i wont really be doing competitive gaming, just fun fps mainly. which is why im looking for a headset that will completely immerse me in the experience (movie theatre style). I've heard that the bass on these isnt that great, which could be problematic if explosions are going off all around me but it fails to move me. Im trying to decide between these, the AKG q701s and the DT990 Pro, which ive heard both have better bass than these and just as good and if not better soundstage and imaging. 

Any thoughts on the differences between them and whether or not i will get the immersion im seeking?

THanks guys!! :D

May 31, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #1,424 of 7,535
well i think (from what people have described) that the bass on the 990 pros will be enough for me, not really a basshead but i definitely do want it present and clear. but now ive heard that the HFi 2400 are an excellent pair, and apparently on a different level to the rest, trying to figure that one out now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back