Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #481 of 7,535
Other than the better looks the 598 did genuinely sound very slightly better than the 558 (though I didn't spend a lot of time with the 558). 

I'd spend an extra $15 just to have the piece of mind you have the best in the line instead of second best. No matter how small the difference. It's only $15.

Quote:
Is there ANY reason I should spend the extra $15 and get the 598s instead of the 558s?

The fake wood and paintjob doesn't seem worth it.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #485 of 7,535
Hey gang, I've had my 598s for almost 2 weeks now and lovin' every minute I have them on.

I posted a question in the Computer Audio forum but haven't had a lot of activity so I'm gonna re-post it here.

I'm feeding my 598s with an X-fi Titanium HD but I'm wondering how much better sound I can get if I purchase an external DAC or DAC/Amp. I will probably end up getting another set of headphones in the future so I want something that won't limit a future purchase. I'm open to getting items 1 at a time in order to get better quality.

I listen mostly to alternative, rock and classical.

Regards,
Chas

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #486 of 7,535
Just got these 'phones today.  As soon as I put them on I knew they were something special.  They're my first set of "audiophile" headphones and now I know what I've been missing all these years.  I'm not an audio expert, but I know what I like.  I purchased these alongside the Audio-Technica AD700s and ATH-A700s.  I found the former to be too bass light (even with a bass booster) and the former (a closed 'phone) much too heavy.  The HD598's though (like baby bear's porridge) was just right.  It's not overwhelming, it does not thump or fatigue the ears but it's appropriate for the song in question.  The mid's and high's are excellent and I appreciate the broad soundstage.

I also like the styling and find them very comfortable.  I also plan to use these for gaming and for me they're an excellent multipurpose 'phone.  I can use them on my XBox or PS3 or hook them up to my amp and go back through my music catalog to enjoy my music all over again.  Like others I recommend listening to songs you know well and then tell me you don't hear things (in a good way) that you never knew were there before.  I listened to an old jam by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam and I could feel the emotion she was communicating in an altogether new way.  Your mileage and tastes may vary but these 'phones are exactly what I needed.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #487 of 7,535

Quote:
Hey gang, I've had my 598s for almost 2 weeks now and lovin' every minute I have them on.

I posted a question in the Computer Audio forum but haven't had a lot of activity so I'm gonna re-post it here.

I'm feeding my 598s with an X-fi Titanium HD but I'm wondering how much better sound I can get if I purchase an external DAC or DAC/Amp. I will probably end up getting another set of headphones in the future so I want something that won't limit a future purchase. I'm open to getting items 1 at a time in order to get better quality.

I listen mostly to alternative, rock and classical.

Regards,
Chas

Honestly, a middle of the road External DAC won't make any significant difference to you
I had an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card ,, sold it ,, got me a Matrix cube .. and all I can say is there is a difference in the overall sound experience ,, the STX sounded warmer and a little tiny bit less detailed (less clinical).

I assume the Titanium HD is a nice sound card ,, so stick to it .. 
your next move would be Opamps swapping ,, I am working on mine now 
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #489 of 7,535

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with this and the 598?

You might want to also post that question in the PA2V2 Appreciation thread.c

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #490 of 7,535
Soldered the HD-650 stock cable to the HD-598 and it sounds great! The sound is a lot smoother and more balanced vs the Belden 1192A I was using. The Belden does have the more forward mids (not as much as the Mogami) and extra treble, but does change the stock signature a tiny bit. Some may like it. Felt the Belden did add in a lot more detail and sound clarity.

Not sure if the HD-650 and HD-598 use the same wire, but highly unlikely. The HD-650 stock cable makes them sound much more clear. I was listening to the HD-598 with HD-650 cable last night for 5 hours and loved every minute of it. Definitely less fatiguing.

The HD-650 cable would be nice for those that don't like to make cables and are ok with just cutting off the stock plugs. Best of all it's only $12. Of course it's a waste for most people to do this, since it's too risky and there's no going back.

It'd be interesting to compare a stock 598 to one with the HD-650 cable. BTW supposedly the HD-600 cable sounds better than the HD-650 cable, so I should try that too.

Think now maybe the K501 and a recabled HD-598 are about tied. Couldn't decide on a favorite. With stock cable I don't think the 598 would come close. For classical the K501 still has the HD-598 beat, but no big deal.

EDIT: Wow, HD-600 stock cable is $26.44 from Sennheiser. Guess they went up a little! Too bad. HD-650 cable should still be $12 from them or $20-$25 elsewhere.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #494 of 7,535
What I can do now is either wait/hope that seller gets the 598s back in stock, or wait two weeks and pay $200 cash at the J&R next to the World Trade Center.

Such is life. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #495 of 7,535

Quote:
There was a seller that had them at 180 for quite some time. They went up probably because that seller ran out.

Quote:
What I can do now is either wait/hope that seller gets the 598s back in stock, or wait two weeks and pay $200 cash at the J&R next to the World Trade Center.Such is life. 
rolleyes.gif

so I checked again on amazon this morning and the HD 598 has gone up to $248 while the HD 595 is $180. wow....never knew prices on amazon could fluctuate so wildly like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back