Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #453 of 7,535
I'm actually considering picking up a pair of these for Christmas, though other headphones at the same price are also in consideration. It'll probably be run out of a computer with *possibly* an amp. Though I might not want to bother with an amp and notice a difference...
Go for it? I'm just hoping for lower prices around Christmas.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #454 of 7,535
I just got my pair today and right out of the box they sound very good.  Coming from my Auzentech Forte to my Matrix M-stage, there is this fullness to the music.  I love it.  It makes my K501s seem anemic by comparison (they are probably v.1).  I love how the 598s can handle pretty much any genre I throw at it.  Some White Zombie, a bit of Hans Zimmer, maybe some Daft Punk and then some Pearl Jam.  It all sounds great.

The soundstage is really impressing me as well.  I have to say, this may be the first headphone I have tried, and I have tried a lot (couple dozen), that seems to get it right.  The soundstage is large, but not cavernous like my old K702s.  On the 598 some sounds are close like vocals, and others actually sound further away.  Yet they never get in the way of each other.  I can still pick them out when the music gets going.  I think the description brought up a lot in this thread is that the 598s sound like speakers when it comes to the soundstage.  I would agree with that.

Now, these are not quite as resolving as say my K501s but they aren't veiled either.  There is plenty of detail, it's just a bit... smoother.

The only slight negative to me would be the color.  It really is more of a yellowy, creamy color.  I mean, once it's on my head it's a non-issue but my wife did call them "70's - tastic"  

I don't care though.  These things could be bright pink with rabbit ears on the headband.  If they sound this good, then that's all that really matters.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #455 of 7,535
I think if you can't get along with the color, you could buy the HD558 and mod them. Most people who've heard both agree they sound the same, but mine look sexier :D

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #456 of 7,535
Liar. Black are all, Mercedes S-Class dashboard like are only HD 598.
tongue_smile.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #457 of 7,535
hy guys...
that's my first post!!
i'm sorry about my english but i'm writing from italy, be sympathetic please!!!
i'm gonna buy the 598, but i've a problem.... the original cable i shorter for me...
i need a 11 feet lenght cable and i don't wanna use adapters or extensor lead or some..
so where i may find that cable??
thanks a lot!!!

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #461 of 7,535
I haven't tried with mine, but i know they should be replacable. Maybe you tried a wrong way to take them out.
confused_face.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #462 of 7,535
Well, I ordered a pair of HD 598s last night and should have them by the 15th. Newegg had 'em on sale for $180 but by the time I decided to pull the trigger they were sold out. But in another thread someone posted a link for a sale on them at the same price. I didn't hesitate. I'll post my impressions of them shortly after I receive them.

I'm going from a 5 yr old pair of Icemat cans driven by an SB Extremegamer sound card to the HD 598s with an X-fi Titanium HD. I expect (praying) to hear a big difference. My use is about 50/50 music and gaming but honestly, the music is most important to me. Too bad I didn't find your forums before I bought the X-fi. Oh well, there's always Christmas. 

I'll be perusing the forums for advice on what the next upgrade should be...amp or DAC.

Excellent forums btw. Cheers!

Regards,
Chas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back