Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #496 of 7,535

so I checked again on amazon this morning and the HD 598 has gone up to $248 while the HD 595 is $180. wow....never knew prices on amazon could fluctuate so wildly like this.

It happens a lot. One seller just low balls to get rid of their stock and then it flips right back to 'standard' price from the other sellers.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #498 of 7,535
in other news, my Fiio E7/E9 arrived yesterday i've been using it since with my Sennheiser HD 598. I can say there is just maybe a slight improvement from my onboard sound but not a big night and day difference as suggested around the forums. So either:

a) my onboard sound is really good to begin with
b) the Sennheiser HD 598 dont need/dont benefit much from amping
c) the Fiio E7/E9 isnt just quite as good as I expected it to be
or maybe a little bit of all three.....

For me the E9 is the only reason why I'm happy with the purchase....at first I tried the E7 by itself and the sound was pretty much the same with my onboard sound card if not maybe worse, both on my netbook and my HP notebook. However with the E9, I guess what I notice is that on songs with alot of bass, the bass no longer overshadows the other frequencies since I tend to use a u-shaped curve in my equalizers. I'd be listening to a song that sounded fine and as soon as a bassy part kicked in such as maybe the chorus the mids and vocals would be recessed, but the E7/E9 solves that problem. Also, many people said that the E7/E9 greatly increases sound clarity and sound crispness, but I'm not so sure about that at least for me.
Well at least, using these has made me like my HD 598 again over my SRH 940! Using both of these headphones with the amp really highlights the lack of bass impact on the SRH 940 which makes alot of my music not as fun to listen to since there is alot of pop and hip-hop in my library. And I can always upgrade to a better DAC, since I suspect that may be what is bottlenecking the sound in this case....HRT Streamer II+, I have you in my crosshairs!!! :-D

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #499 of 7,535
Any chance of it going back to "normal"? $250 is a really steep price.

Not sure. $250 is normal for Amazon. They've been at that price for quite awhile. I was stunned the see them at 180 there. I paid 170 for mine used on Head-Fi.

in other news, my Fiio E7/E9 arrived yesterday i've been using it since with my Sennheiser HD 598. I can say there is just maybe a slight improvement from my onboard sound but not a big night and day difference as suggested around the forums. So either:

a) my onboard sound is really good to begin with
b) the Sennheiser HD 598 dont need/dont benefit much from amping
c) the Fiio E7/E9 isnt just quite as good as I expected it to be
or maybe a little bit of all three.....

For me the E9 is the only reason why I'm happy with the purchase....at first I tried the E7 by itself and the sound was pretty much the same with my onboard sound card if not maybe worse, both on my netbook and my HP notebook. However with the E9, I guess what I notice is that on songs with alot of bass, the bass no longer overshadows the other frequencies since I tend to use a u-shaped curve in my equalizers. I'd be listening to a song that sounded fine and as soon as a bassy part kicked in such as maybe the chorus the mids and vocals would be recessed, but the E7/E9 solves that problem. Also, many people said that the E7/E9 greatly increases sound clarity and sound crispness, but I'm not so sure about that at least for me.
Well at least, using these has made me like my HD 598 again over my SRH 940! Using both of these headphones with the amp really highlights the lack of bass impact on the SRH 940 which makes alot of my music not as fun to listen to since there is alot of pop and hip-hop in my library. And I can always upgrade to a better DAC, since I suspect that may be what is bottlenecking the sound in this case....HRT Streamer II+, I have you in my crosshairs!!! :-D

I'd say a little bit of all 3. As you can see the HD 598 does benefit, but they're not going to sound twice as good just because they get twice the power.

I would say your DAC is the bottleneck now, but be careful with upgrading so quickly. I did the same thing and ended up crashing down and selling all my gear. (lol)

Oh, and I didn't like the E7 as a DAC much at all...

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #500 of 7,535
I'd vote 'D' as well.  I aslo think the E9 is the best thing Fiio makes but it has issues too.  I'm intrigued by the E10 as well.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #503 of 7,535
I'd like to add my name to the list of owners of these cans.  I got lucky and got mine used, in mint shape from botbyte about 2-3 weeks ago for $160 total which I thought was awesome, considering how good of shape they were in and came with all the original packaging and such.

Compared to my dt770's, they have almost an opposite sounding sound-stage.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #505 of 7,535
I would assume if either, you don't have the original receipt, or they check your name against the receipt for some random reason and it doesn't match the name on the receipt.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #506 of 7,535
I'll roll the dice.

According to USPS, my headphone are already on the island. I hope and pray that I get them today. :)

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #508 of 7,535

Quote:
Aw fu-Wait, how would they go about proving I'm not the original owner?

Quote:
I would assume if either, you don't have the original receipt, or they check your name against the receipt for some random reason and it doesn't match the name on the receipt.

something along those lines, but its different depending on the service center so give it a try anyways if it does (god forbid) happen

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #510 of 7,535
It feels weird saying this after so long a time, but I honestly can't find any huge flaws with these headphones. With every other pair in my life, I've had to compromise, but these... my God! They're just a joy to listen to!

I'm going to be optimistic and call this my dead-end for full-size dynamic headphones. Now I'm off to focus on other areas (DAC/amps, Orthos, IEMs, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back