Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #467 of 7,535
I just got my pair today and right out of the box they sound very good.  Coming from my Auzentech Forte to my Matrix M-stage, there is this fullness to the music.  I love it.  It makes my K501s seem anemic by comparison (they are probably v.1).  I love how the 598s can handle pretty much any genre I throw at it.  Some White Zombie, a bit of Hans Zimmer, maybe some Daft Punk and then some Pearl Jam.  It all sounds great.

The soundstage is really impressing me as well.  I have to say, this may be the first headphone I have tried, and I have tried a lot (couple dozen), that seems to get it right.  The soundstage is large, but not cavernous like my old K702s.  On the 598 some sounds are close like vocals, and others actually sound further away.  Yet they never get in the way of each other.  I can still pick them out when the music gets going.  I think the description brought up a lot in this thread is that the 598s sound like speakers when it comes to the soundstage.  I would agree with that.

Now, these are not quite as resolving as say my K501s but they aren't veiled either.  There is plenty of detail, it's just a bit... smoother.

The only slight negative to me would be the color.  It really is more of a yellowy, creamy color.  I mean, once it's on my head it's a non-issue but my wife did call them "70's - tastic"  

I don't care though.  These things could be bright pink with rabbit ears on the headband.  If they sound this good, then that's all that really matters.

When my father tried them he actually took them off because he thought the speakers were on. He realized they weren't and put them back on for the rest of the song. The soundstage is amazing.

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #468 of 7,535

Quote:
When my father tried them he actually took them off because he thought the speakers were on. He realized they weren't and put them back on for the rest of the song. The soundstage is amazing.

I have to say, to me that is the most impressive aspect of these headphones.  I was playing some Bad Company 2 the other night and the 598s gave me the best positioning of any headphone I have ever tried.  I could pin-point footsteps, tanks, heli's...  the soundstage of the 598s is very 3-dimensional and quite realistic to my ears.

It also helps that the 598s are very comfortable for those marathon listening sessions. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #471 of 7,535

Quote:
'cause for best audio-quality (possible), i don't wanna use extenders or adapters... just headphone-cable-ampli....
you think is possible to find that "replacement" (15 feet) cable???

Well, no. I don't think anyone makes a 15' cable for the 598.

And I agree with mRfRag above - I don't think an extension cable will perceptibly affect the sound. My 600's came with a skinny little cable with a 1/4" adapter on the end and the 650 cable I use with them sounds exactly the same.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #473 of 7,535
yeah guys, i think you're right... an adapter and-or extender will be the best choice...

and i'm looking for a 15 feet mini jack to 6.3 jack but it's hard to find...
so, thank you for the information, this week near where i live there's an audio-expo...
maybe there i'll find something...
otherwise, extender...

Sep 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #474 of 7,535
I just got my pair, looks perfect.
I'm only worried about that crack problem that some people have with these headphones. It says 2 years warranty on the box, so, how it works if my headphones starts cracking ?

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #476 of 7,535
Mine has had a very tiny crack for about 3 months. SOMEHOW it hasn't expanded. I think if it does crack it may be easy to repair with some glue.
Voided my warranty a long time ago. Oops.

Sadly these things feel about 10x more cheaply made when you remove the pads to recable them. AKG stuff seems just so much more solid to me and it's not that much more expensive.
Good thing they're $175 now and not $250. Feels like my old HD-555 had better build quality for some reason.
I guess as long as the new pairs don't break, then this is OK.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #478 of 7,535
im really itching to get some of these since hd6xx are so hard to amp and i only have a fiio E5 and a soundmagic A10 + lod ipod

im just worried that the bass will sound bloated since my regular phones are ER4s [with a little bassboost, but still...]

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #479 of 7,535

Quote:
im really itching to get some of these since hd6xx are so hard to amp and i only have a fiio E5 and a soundmagic A10 + lod ipod

im just worried that the bass will sound bloated since my regular phones are ER4s [with a little bassboost, but still...]

I can say I have had absolutely no problems with bloated bass on my 598s.  I am using them through my Matrix M-stage however, but there isn't even a hint of boominess to me. 

Actually, to my ears the bass has even tightened up since I first bought them.  I don't have that many hours on them either.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back