Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #436 of 7,535
I bought a custom cable from Custom-Cable.co.uk . I had it made 1.2 meters long and with a 3.5mm termination. The price of the replacement cable was 15.99 GBP and 12.50 GBP for the customization. The cable seems to be manufactured by Sennheiser from the packaging, and took about 3 weeks to reach me in California.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #437 of 7,535

Quote:

Hey man, I like what ur saying about recabling the HD 598  
beerchug.gif
,, but I am really a noob in headphones modding ,, would you mind showing some pictures and give us some instructions 
biggrin.gif

Best thing I can suggest is to try and recable a few cheap headphones first, such as the KSC75. Six months ago I didn't even know how to solder well, but I learned how to do it. So far I've done quite a lot of recables and my soldering skills are still average. Zero dead headphones. Can't say enough how nice is it being able to make all your own cables!

Now I 100% do not suggest recabling the HD-598 unless you've had experience soldering before. Lots of practice helps. People who have done recables before should find it easy. There is also no going back after doing it since you remove all the internal wires and void your warranty. If you have a pair that cracks, then you're out of luck. I'm glad I risked it because the results were worth it. If you are 100% happy with how the HD-598 sounds, I wouldn't bother. I felt that a recable really clears up the sound and does so much for this headphone. Even if you're not a believer of cables making a difference, this will make you a believer, trust me on this. Of course this depends on what brand of wire you use.

Basically what I did was clip all the internal wires and remove the tiny board inside. For me, there is no point in recabling the HD-598 if you don't bypass the internal wires. You solder directly to the drivers.

The hard part is that you need to drill a hole into the HD-598. This is why I suggest to not bother. It was extremely painless and over and done with it 10 seconds. That plastic is very thin. Just don't slip and scuff the plastic like I did.

I then soldered the wires in place and then put a zip tie around the wire to keep it in place. I then put some hot glue in there near the exit hole to keep the wires in place.

It took me a bit of practice to get good at making the actual cable. All you need is 4-6 feet of Belden 1192A and a 3.55mm plug. I like Canare F12 plugs or Rean plugs do the trick (but too small for Belden). For the Y-split you have to remove the plastic cover and take off the metal shielding. On the Belden it's more time consuming than the Mogami.

Another reason to not recable is that it makes it less portable. The Mogami cable is thin, but the Belden is like a snake. I don't use the HD-598 as a portable around the house, so I'm OK with this.

I'll see if I can take some pictures in the next few days.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #438 of 7,535
^^ I am so appreciative you took some time to reply 
and I will recable my 598 after some practice on my 5 bucks cans .. no doubt 

[size=x-small]my problem with my HP is the ****ty 2.5mm plug .. as [/size]upon movement it is making some noises  that I can hear from the right driver. . also I want to try out recabling too 
rolleyes.gif

[size=x-small]I understood that 2 separate belden cables .. 4 - 6 feet .. are soldered to each board [/size](Rt and Lt) [size=x-small]and then both are held together in a Y shape outside the cans .. and at the other end you attach a canare 3.55mm plug[/size]

[size=x-small]I am confused about how a single plug can be attached to 2 cables .. or I miss understood it [/size]?

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #439 of 7,535

Quote:
^^ I am so appreciative you took some time to reply 
and I will recable my 598 after some practice on my 5 bucks cans .. no doubt 

[size=x-small]my problem with my HP is the ****ty 2.5mm plug .. as [/size]upon movement it is making some noises  that I can hear from the right driver. . also I want to try out recabling too 
rolleyes.gif

[size=x-small]I understood that 2 separate belden cables .. 4 - 6 feet .. are soldered to each board [/size](Rt and Lt) [size=x-small]and then both are held together in a Y shape outside the cans .. and at the other end you attach a canare 3.55mm plug[/size]

[size=x-small]I am confused about how a single plug can be attached to 2 cables .. or I miss understood it [/size]?

The Belden 1192A is in a starquad configuration, so inside the plastic covering there is 4 separate wires. Positive and Negatives for each side. For the connector you solder the negative/ground leads to the shield.
The TRS in TRS connector stands for Tip (left channel), Ring (right channel), Shield/Sleeve (ground).

Check out this Youtube video. It's very helpful. I also suggest buying a pair of "Helping Hands" for $10 from Amazon and some flux if needed. I only use the flux for soldering specific parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smg68qgJa-I

Here's a wiki too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

The KSC75 is a good thing to recable and it's super easy! If you kill it, it's only a $15 loss and it actually improves with a better cable. With a recable you'll be surprised it's only a $15 headphone.

Buying heat shrink tubing for the Y-split is also a good idea.

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #440 of 7,535
I'd have to say that the quality and comfort are amazing, but keep in mind that a few older examples of the 598s are floating around.  These are prone to headband cracking, but this does not appear to be too common an occurence.  I'm hardly the most careful person when it comes to taking care of my headphones, and I've yet to see a crack.  They are decent enough for gaming, and dang good for movies.

Quote:
Can someone please tell me the quality & comfortability & durability with this headphone and the Pionner HDJ2000? 
My HDJ-2000 foam cover is worn out and falling apart. I am thinking of buying a new headphone. 
After spending my time on researching, I found the HD598 is recommended by many professional at mid-range price. I spend my time listing to mp3 & flac music along with some gaming and HDmovie at my PC. Any suggestion?

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #443 of 7,535

Quote:
What is the difference between listening to these and something closed like the Audio Technica M-50s or(dare I say it) the Beats Pros?

The main differences are that the HD-598 has more forward mids, less bass quantity/impact, but a much larger soundstage. The new M50 probably has more treble, but I'm not positive.
The HD-598 probably has a much smoother and less aggressive sound signature. Despite the slightly forward mids.

BTW if you think the HD-598 has a speaker-like soundstage, wait until you hear the K501!
normal_smile%20.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #444 of 7,535

Quote:
The main differences are that the HD-598 has more forward mids, less bass quantity/impact, but a much larger soundstage. The new M50 probably has more treble, but I'm not positive.
The HD-598 probably has a much smoother and less aggressive sound signature. Despite the slightly forward mids.

Hmmm, I think my old M50s were smoother tbh but the 598 is definitely more relaxed but not lazy.

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #445 of 7,535
I've decided to sell my HD598 after doing the open D2000 mod (check FS forum if interested). It's really that good! I strongly recommend anyone with some D2000 headphones to check out the open air mod for them (I have a thread up about it). You can try it out in such a way that it's completely reversible! I think a lot of HD598 fans would really appreciate how good the D2000s sound as open headphones.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #446 of 7,535
I can find them easily here in Italy at 130€ (190$), is it a good price?
also, I'm going to use theme mainly on the cowon d2+ (at home), is it a good combo? I'm going to use theme also with my laptop, but at the moment i do not have any Dac or amp or things like that. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #447 of 7,535

Quote:

BTW if you think the HD-598 has a speaker-like soundstage, wait until you hear the K501!
normal_smile%20.gif

Totally agree. And I also want to add, the M50 is a bit mid recessed IMHO. Don't bother asking for comparison with the Beats, though 
ph34r.gif
. They should be inferior for the most part except for bass, but I haven't tried them out.

Quote:
I can find them easily here in Italy at 130€ (190$), is it a good price?
also, I'm going to use theme mainly on the cowon d2+ (at home), is it a good combo? I'm going to use theme also with my laptop, but at the moment i do not have any Dac or amp or things like that. 

It was $250 not so long ago 
eek.gif

They actually do not need much of an amp to sound good, but of course amping them is suggested 
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #449 of 7,535
Bought!
They want 150 today! 216 $

Quote:

Totally agree. And I also want to add, the M50 is a bit mid recessed IMHO. Don't bother asking for comparison with the Beats, though 
ph34r.gif
. They should be inferior for the most part except for bass, but I haven't tried them out.

It was $250 not so long ago 
eek.gif

They actually do not need much of an amp to sound good, but of course amping them is suggested 
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #450 of 7,535
Hey...
First of all the headband cracking issue was fixed yes?
Second, are there any cans better for gaming and rock/pop (good mids, some bass) for this price range? (~$140 used, ~$180 new)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back