Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #421 of 7,535

Quote:

Can you elaborate on what it does to the sound? I've never had an amp, nor have I had headphones that needed an amp. Is the sound difference that noticeable?

Basically, it improves the sound stage and mid, and a bit on bass. These are the most noticeable changes.

Quote:
Hey guys 

Have anyone of you experienced loudness imbalance between the Lt and Rt channels on your 598?

every thing was fine until  I dropped the headphones from a roughly 50cm hight 

Could it be a driver's dislocation or a cables thing?

I dropped them from my bed for no less than 4 times and they are still fine 
tongue.gif

Driver problem, IMO.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #422 of 7,535
HD 598 for 180.00$ free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IOF1VWXDNN1NV&colid=1NEOUU3HQRP0X

Most places have them for 200+ so I think * this is a good deal. Posting incase anyone is looking for a deal.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #423 of 7,535
Ok so its been about a week since I've had these.

I dunno if its the fact that I have huge ears... but these things start to bother me after wearing them for more than an hour :frowning2:

Are there any replacement pads u can purchase for someone with huge ears? 
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #424 of 7,535

Quote:
I have dropped my HD555 a few times at the height of 28 inches on to concrete floor over the years and did not have a problem. Sorry you have a issue.

Hmm, thank you man .. and good your cans survived.

Quote:
I dropped them from my bed for no less than 4 times and they are still fine 
tongue.gif

Driver problem, IMO.

loool,  my hp was dropped from my bed too. 
I am going to use the mixer to balance the sound between Rt & Lt.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #425 of 7,535

Quote:

Hmm, thank you man .. and good your cans survived.

loool,  my hp was dropped from my bed too. 
I am going to use the mixer to balance the sound between Rt & Lt.

You didn't sign for warranty?

Quote:
Ok so its been about a week since I've had these.

I dunno if its the fact that I have huge ears... but these things start to bother me after wearing them for more than an hour :frowning2:

Are there any replacement pads u can purchase for someone with huge ears? 
wink.gif

From my knowledge, the earpads of HD598 is not replaceable 
confused_face.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #426 of 7,535
Aug 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #428 of 7,535
Sorry wrong post 

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #429 of 7,535

Quote:
You didn't sign for warranty?

I got mine used but like new from a friend who did not like them at all.. he threw the box with everything 

I paid like 140$ plus shipping .. he originally paid 230 - 240$ back in the time when he purchased them from amazon

and where I live, warranty means nothing.. unfortunately.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #430 of 7,535
Nobody else has tried to recable theirs yet and void their warranty? If only more people could hear the benefits (don't give me the lecture please
normal_smile%20.gif
) then they'd be more likely to do it. I seriously can't imagine listening to the HD-598 on the stock cable any more. I've now recabled the HD-598 about 6 times and have yet to kill it's driver. I've had a few close calls. It's actually not that difficult.

I still think Mogami is very very good for it, but it's signature isn't as smooth, but still very close. People who love goods mids would be best with the Mogami.

I originally used Belden 1192A, which is very thick. I said it made them too fatiguing, but maybe not really after all. It could be I was too quick to judge that wire with them and maybe my ears were already too fatigued. One reason I wanted to give it another chance is that I absolutely love my Belden interconnect cables. Only cost me $2 and I prefer them to the Monoprice cable, a Best Buy junk cable and my new Mogami cable. I think the Belden is the only interconnect where I'm pretty positive I can actually tell a difference. Normally it's extremely difficult. With headphone cables it's 10X easier.

So I made another Belden 1192A cable for my HD-598 and I love it. I've been listening to it now for about 3 hours and zero fatigue. Man, this headphone now sure has quite a lot of detail! Stock, not really. An hour back I was convinced nearly that it was close to being a detail monster, but that's a bit overkill. On lots of songs now you can pick up stuff you normally wouldn't hear, even recording hiss and really tiny background details.

Biggest improvement so far is the bass is a lot better (not more) and there seems to be more treble. For people who complained the HD-598 didn't have enough treble (do they even exist?) the Belden is worth a try. The Belden really seems to be the best now despite the Mogami being really good too. I don't know why, but the Belden really does seem to improve the soundstage and the amount of detail. I'm not sure if people will find the treble fatiguing, but it's not a problem for me. The HD-598 will not seem to "tame" a bright recording less now. The mids are most definitely more forward on the Mogami for sure. Even more than stock, but not enough to be a huge problem.

The Belden 1192A is a really thick cable so that may explain any improvements over the Mogami, but I don't know.

I have my new K501, but I don't know if I like it more than the HD-598 or not. Both are so different, but the K501 soundstage is far better. Maybe I could do a K501 vs HD-598 review sometime. Stock HD-598 would lose out easily. Both of them aren't going anywhere for sure. The HD-598 actually might have as much treble as the K501 now, but I'm not sure. Anyone else own both headphones? Which one do you prefer? HD-598 is still impressive for vocals.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #431 of 7,535
Can someone please tell me the quality & comfortability & durability with this headphone and the Pionner HDJ2000? 
My HDJ-2000 foam cover is worn out and falling apart. I am thinking of buying a new headphone. 
After spending my time on researching, I found the HD598 is recommended by many professional at mid-range price. I spend my time listing to mp3 & flac music along with some gaming and HDmovie at my PC. Any suggestion?

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #433 of 7,535

Quote:
Hi Headstar,

We've changed the material of the headband of the HD 598. You may bring in your HD 598 to the nearest Sennheiser service centre together with your receipt / proof of purchase and they'll provide you with a replacement unit.

Cheers!

Well My HD 558 have started to crack on both left and right sides, and since I've noticed it they have gotten longer. I bought them in March 2011.
I don't think there is a service center near Chula Vista, CA (?) so I guess I'll have to mail mine somewhere? Do I need to contact Sennheiser first before I do? Also I ordered my HD 558 through Amazon Marketplace from Electronic Expo who are or claim to be a Authorized dealer. However I no longer have the original reciept, will Sennhieser accept the invoice from Amazon?

PS> If I deceide to upgrade to the HD 598, how can I tell if I'm getting a revised version?

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #434 of 7,535

Quote:
Nobody else has tried to recable theirs yet and void their warranty? If only more people could hear the benefits (don't give me the lecture please
normal_smile%20.gif
) then they'd be more likely to do it. I seriously can't imagine listening to the HD-598 on the stock cable any more. I've now recabled the HD-598 about 6 times and have yet to kill it's driver. I've had a few close calls. It's actually not that difficult.

I still think Mogami is very very good for it, but it's signature isn't as smooth, but still very close. People who love goods mids would be best with the Mogami.

I originally used Belden 1192A, which is very thick. I said it made them too fatiguing, but maybe not really after all. It could be I was too quick to judge that wire with them and maybe my ears were already too fatigued. One reason I wanted to give it another chance is that I absolutely love my Belden interconnect cables. Only cost me $2 and I prefer them to the Monoprice cable, a Best Buy junk cable and my new Mogami cable. I think the Belden is the only interconnect where I'm pretty positive I can actually tell a difference. Normally it's extremely difficult. With headphone cables it's 10X easier.

So I made another Belden 1192A cable for my HD-598 and I love it. I've been listening to it now for about 3 hours and zero fatigue. Man, this headphone now sure has quite a lot of detail! Stock, not really. An hour back I was convinced nearly that it was close to being a detail monster, but that's a bit overkill. On lots of songs now you can pick up stuff you normally wouldn't hear, even recording hiss and really tiny background details.

Biggest improvement so far is the bass is a lot better (not more) and there seems to be more treble. For people who complained the HD-598 didn't have enough treble (do they even exist?) the Belden is worth a try. The Belden really seems to be the best now despite the Mogami being really good too. I don't know why, but the Belden really does seem to improve the soundstage and the amount of detail. I'm not sure if people will find the treble fatiguing, but it's not a problem for me. The HD-598 will not seem to "tame" a bright recording less now. The mids are most definitely more forward on the Mogami for sure. Even more than stock, but not enough to be a huge problem.

The Belden 1192A is a really thick cable so that may explain any improvements over the Mogami, but I don't know.

I have my new K501, but I don't know if I like it more than the HD-598 or not. Both are so different, but the K501 soundstage is far better. Maybe I could do a K501 vs HD-598 review sometime. Stock HD-598 would lose out easily. Both of them aren't going anywhere for sure. The HD-598 actually might have as much treble as the K501 now, but I'm not sure. Anyone else own both headphones? Which one do you prefer? HD-598 is still impressive for vocals.

Hey man, I like what ur saying about recabling the HD 598  
beerchug.gif
,, but I am really a noob in headphones modding ,, would you mind showing some pictures and give us some instructions 
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #435 of 7,535

Quote:

Hey man, I like what ur saying about recabling the HD 598  
beerchug.gif
,, but I am really a noob in headphones modding ,, would you mind showing some pictures and give us some instructions 
biggrin.gif

I was wondering about the same thing with Legend.
Can you also suggest a place to get these cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back